Old September 1st 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Question - Coax Cable - What's Between Your Antenna and Radio ?

Ross Archer wrote:

On Aug 30, 10:15 pm, RHF wrote:
QUESTION FOR ONE AND ALL :

Low Loss type Coax Cable ?

RG58 Coax Cable ?

RG8 Coax Cable?

RG6 Quad-Shield Coax Cable ?

WHY - Cost ? Performance ? Value ?

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF
.
.
. .

I'm using Belden 9913F7 (this is 9913 with a foam dialectric instead
of the generic 9913's air dialectric). I'm using it because I bought
a good bit of it for UHF/VHF work where its low loss is really
important.As an aside, avoid air dialectric cable because it can act
as a "wick" and conduct water and moisture via capillary action if
exposed to the elements and not adequtely waterproofed.

A very experienced ham swears by LMR-400, either ultraflex or
standard. The ultraflex is a lot less stiff and can turn corners a
lot better and that's what he uses.

Ladder line or window line is worth a look too, and it can be
relatively cheap.

http://www.vk1od.net/LOLL/index.htm

An interesting hybrid approach would be to use ladder or window line
from the antenna feedpoint to the outside entry point, then transition
to a 6:1 or 4:1 balun and coax for the final run into the house.

Wonder if anyone has tried this instead of coax, and how their success
was?

The main reason I'm using coax is the antenna does both TX and RX
duty, and I didn't want to deal with the possibility of "RF in the
shack" issues.

Hey, Ross,

Long time no read!

I'm using LMR-400 (standard) for a V/UHF run and have fallen back to
RG-213 for HF runs. I had used 9913UF for the longer HF run, but the
on-paper performance didn't last when the cable was exposed to intense
UV.

--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940