Old September 3rd 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default 1640KHz saga continues

I can find no listing in any reference for TIS or any other non
commercial station
in KY.

Regarding my hunt for the UNID 1640 station rebroadcasting A NOAA
weather stream, I had assumed by content it was at or near Cave Run
Lake, near Morehead KY. But we visited there Friday and no signal. I
talked to the Corp of Engineers and they suggested we check in
Jackson. So off we went. As we approached Jackson it was clear it was
not there. But I decided to check the Jackson Airport/NOAA office to
see what they knew.

They were aware of the TIS stations in Winchester and Richmond that
carried NOAA and were for use in the event of a nerve agent leak from
the Blue Grass Army Depot in Richmond, but they knew of no station on
1640. They gave me a list of towns where there are low powered NOAA WX
transmitters to check and it wasn't in any of them. On a lark we went
to Richmond Yesterday and the TIS on 1610 is still only receivable
right next the the emergency center. But there was a different station
on 1640. This one is clearly connected with the Nerve Agent program
and may be in Berea, or it may originate on the depot proper and have
a very poor antenna/feedline/transmitter.Due to time constraints we
could go further south then the bypass in Richmond.

Sooner then later I hope to locate both 1640 transmitters.

Terry

Old September 3rd 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 3, 12:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

I made a very good DF loop out of a square copper pipe loop a foot on
each side and my Wellbrook ALA100 amp. I tried a larger loop (2ft per
side) and the null was not very sharp. Perhaps it interacted with my
body since I did this handheld.

Anyway, DFing AM BCB is pretty trivial.

Old September 3rd 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
wrote:

On Sep 3, 12:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

Try a round loop next time. It should have better nulls.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 4th 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 3, 6:47 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
On Sep 3, 12:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

I have access to several loops, but given my curent limited mobility I
can't handle a larger loop very well.....

At least this gives me something to do while my arm heals.

Terry

Old September 4th 07, 07:59 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 3, 3:47 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
On Sep 3, 12:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

I made the loop myself so round isn't as easy as square. However, if
the nulls are sharper, I would make the effort. Anywhere on the net I
can read about the difference between round and square loops.

Note the newest Wellbrook design is using a triangular loop.

Old September 4th 07, 09:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 3, 11:59 pm, wrote:
On Sep 3, 3:47 pm, Telamon
wrote:

In article . com,

wrote:
On Sep 3, 12:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

Note the newest Wellbrook design is using a triangular loop.- Hide quoted text -

Loop Antennas : Relative Size and Ease of Construction

Circular (Round) Loops about the size of a big Hula Hoop
* Stretch out your Arms - The distance between your Hands.

Vertical Square-Rectangle Two Vertical Support-Points
* Single narrow footprint along the Ground.
* Height being the main Limiting Factor.

Vertical Triangle One High Vertical Support-Point
* Single narrow footprint along the Ground.
* Height being the main Limiting Factor.
* The two Slopping Sides of the Triangle are
Angled to Face the incoming Sky-Waves along
the Plane of the Triangle the K9AY Loop Antenna
takes advantage of the Triangle Shape and uses
Termination to switch the Front-to-Back Sides.

Horizontal Square-Rectangle Four Vertical Support-Points
* Four narrow footprints along the Ground.
* Land being the main Limiting Factor.

that's how i see it ~ RHF
Old September 6th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 4, 1:45 am, RHF wrote:
On Sep 3, 11:59 pm, wrote:

On Sep 3, 3:47 pm, Telamon
wrote:

In article . com,

wrote:
On Sep 3, 12:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

.

Looking around the net, there seems to be two ways to do a triangular
loop. One is a single pole, i.e. point at the top, and the other is
two poles, i.e. point at the bottom. I can see the advantage to the
point at the bottom. There would be less capacitance from the antenna
to the ground.

Old September 7th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 6, 1:28 pm, wrote:
On Sep 4, 1:45 am, RHF wrote:

On Sep 3, 11:59 pm, wrote:

On Sep 3, 3:47 pm, Telamon
wrote:

In article . com,

wrote:
On Sep 3, 12:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

M-Suchi - Yes that is true.

I guess a Trianglular Loop with a single Apex {Point} that
is supported by a one Pole would be called a Delta Loop.
* These might have a Larger {Higher} Vertical Aspect and
a shorter Horizontal Base Side.
* With Base Corner Angles 60 Degrees or greater.
* Uniform Distance from the Ground and therefore fixed
ground Capacitance and a narrower BandWidth.
The result would be a Delta Loop Antenna with a
predominate Front and Back area of reception.

While a Trianglular Loop with a Flat Top Side supported
by two Poles would be called an Inverted Delta Loop.
* These might have a Larger {Wider} Horizontal Aspect
[Longer Flat Top] and a shorter Vertical Height and Sides.
* With Base Corner Angle 90 Degrees or greater.
* Variable Distance from the Ground and therefore non-fixed
ground Capacitance and a wider BandWidth.
The result would be an Inverted Delta Loop Antenna with
a less predominate Front and Back area of reception.

~ RHF