Old September 8th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default I don't know who developed DeOxit

But there should be a national holiday in his honor.

Old September 8th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve wrote:

But there should be a national holiday in his honor.

It is indeed the Right Stuff!

Old September 8th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
says...

Steve wrote:

But there should be a national holiday in his honor.

It is indeed the Right Stuff!

It sure has solved a lot of problems over the years for me.

BDK
Old September 9th 07, 12:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"BDK" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Steve wrote:

But there should be a national holiday in his honor.

It is indeed the Right Stuff!

It sure has solved a lot of problems over the years for me.

BDK

According to some of the posters at rec.antiques.radio+phono, DeOxit is
Caig's clone of Cramolin Red, made in Germany. Cramolin has been traced
back to an even older product known as Gramolin.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...28a582082a2c05

or:

http://tinyurl.com/3yemgm

Cramolin Red is supposed to be a pretty simple product:

"That formula as called out on stick-on labels put on German-made cans is 5%
Oleic Acid, 95% hydrocarbons and propellants."

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...5f31d1dbbf6c8c

or:

http://tinyurl.com/3dvvq6

A regular at the antique radio and phono had been selling oleic acid as a
"DeOxit equivalent" product. Caig sicced their lawyer on him:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...15b74 8e73936

or:

http://tinyurl.com/2a783g

He is still selling the same stuff, now as "Cease and Desist Contact
Cleaner".

Here's a look at the Caig - Cramolin controversy including a quoted letter
from Caig:

http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/caigcram.htm

I've also used some of the less expensive CRC contact cleaners from the
hardware store with good results. CRC Lectra Clean has a powerful flammable
solvent which will nicely remove carbonized grease. Even tiny droplets of
that stuff will ruin paint and a steady spray will bore a hole right through
common plastics such as styrene and ABS. CRC QD contact cleaner is much
gentler. Both evaporate quickly and leave little or no residue. CRC 2-26
leaves a thicker film than DeOxit and I don't trust it to try it in pots,
but it's been good on switches. 2-26 kept a crummy headphone contact in my
Walkman working better than DeOxit.

My last resort cleaner on brass contacts is Tarn-X. I like to work on old
radios, and 50 years of age and bad storage can create a corrosion seemingly
immune to even the best cleaners. I suppose the cleaners are doing their
job, but there's such a bulk of oxidation on the contacts that normal wiping
action is often breaking off a new piece of grunge to foul the contact yet
again. Tarn-X does a good job of stripping off these oxides, but I fear
that stuff will be wicked up into the cloth backing of the Bakelite contact
holders and might cause conduction/corrosion problems later, so I give them
a good water soaking afterwards followed with plenty of alcohol then CRC QD
and DeOxit. I've only had to do this a couple of times and it's worked
well.

I do like the Caig products but when I run out, I think I'll try the Cease
and Desist stuff.

Frank Dresser

Old September 9th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 9, 4:20 am, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:
"BDK" wrote in message

In article ,
says...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a.../browse_thread...

[...]

Frank Dresser- Hide quoted text -

Oh, two things. Tried oleic and it cracked my RCA plastic connectors
after two weeks. Won't use cease and desist stuff again - cost me
money and lots of time replacing my RCA sockets in my amp. Oh and
two, if you spent lots of money developing and trademarking a product
and someone came along and claimed they had the same product and
called it an "exact" replacement - I think you would get hopping mad.
CRC and LPS stuff work well as flushing stuff of parts, but Deoxit
always seems to make things better - has ALWAYS worked for me.

Mike

Old September 9th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 11:20:40 GMT, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:

My last resort cleaner on brass contacts is Tarn-X. I like to work on old
radios, and 50 years of age and bad storage can create a corrosion seemingly
immune to even the best cleaners. I suppose the cleaners are doing their
job, but there's such a bulk of oxidation on the contacts that normal wiping
action is often breaking off a new piece of grunge to foul the contact yet
again. Tarn-X does a good job of stripping off these oxides, but I fear
that stuff will be wicked up into the cloth backing of the Bakelite contact
holders and might cause conduction/corrosion problems later, so I give them
a good water soaking afterwards followed with plenty of alcohol then CRC QD
and DeOxit. I've only had to do this a couple of times and it's worked
well.

Non sudsing ammonia.
Old September 10th 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"shaq" wrote in message
ps.com...

Oh, two things. Tried oleic and it cracked my RCA plastic connectors
after two weeks.

Thanks for the warning. Do you know what sort of plastic the connectors
had? The connectors I usually deal with are made with phenolics which are
resistant to most common chemicals. I'm not aware of any complaints posted
at rec.radio.antique+phono either.

What did you dilute the stuff with?

Won't use cease and desist stuff again - cost me
money and lots of time replacing my RCA sockets in my amp. Oh and
two, if you spent lots of money developing and trademarking a product
and someone came along and claimed they had the same product and
called it an "exact" replacement - I think you would get hopping mad.
CRC and LPS stuff work well as flushing stuff of parts, but Deoxit
always seems to make things better - has ALWAYS worked for me.

Mike

I have no idea what the development and trademark costs of DeOxit were, but
I know Caig is free to sell their product for whatever price they can get.
And Caig is doing the sensible thing in protecting their trademark.

Just consider how much Bayer lost when they didn't protect the Aspirin name!

Frank Dresser

Old September 10th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 10, 2:09 am, "Frank Dresser"
wrote:
"shaq" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

Phenolics are much better, except if they get a stress fracture, then
they can obsorb any liquid and crack. I had some old style phone
relays that was washed with a cleaner that had alcohol in it, the
phenolics somehow obsorbed the fluid (alcohol) and it did not
evaporate - the phenolic actually became conductive - my only
explaination was that the alcohol (which is polar) became trapped in
the phenolic.
My connectors, I think were AR or Monster style. I have used some hi-
end stuff that had a clear coating on them (think they were made in
Germany) and they cracked from the oleic within a few hours - actually
broke apart. Luckily I found out sooner rather than later. So I will
stick to using Deoxit, it has gotten me out of so many jams and always
seems to amaze me. One of my office techs was having a heck of a time
with one of our office computers recently, until finally he treated
the video card edge connector with DeoxIt GOLD and has worked
flawlessly ever since - and without cracking and killing the
patient, :-)
Also was thinking about people giving Caig Labs are hard time about
protecting their investment - If I was to copy (use) your name and SS#
and claimed it was mine, used it in commerce or solicitations, would
you get upset? Duh!

Enjoy, Mike