Old September 18th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Nighttime AM HD

On Sep 17, 11:43 pm, I.P. Yurin
wrote:

Good strategy. But also note that you can RECORD pay radio and make
lots of cheap tapes and CDs. Burn a couple of CDs per month and
satellite radio can pay for itself. (1 retail CD == 1 month of sat.
radio.)

Good point. And the same can be done with Cable TV's Music Choice
service. Hook up a tape deck to the audio outs of the cable box and
you're in business.

And what... you DON'T pay a monthly subscription for your internet
access???

Well, technically I don't. My husband pays for it because he's the
computer geek.

Many people I've met have your same, odd attitude. And the
contradiction continues to puzzle me: why do you recoil at paying for
radio but happily accept paying for net access?

It's always been a fact of life that you have to pay for Internet
access and telephone service.

Radio was originally designed to be a free service. You buy the
receiver and once you finish paying it off, you don't have to keep
paying to receive the service.

The whole "radio/tv should be free and other media should not be" is
just a big headscratcher to those of us who try to approach life
logically.

Again, the whole idea of radio BROADCASTING was that it was supposed
to be a free service (cost of radio aside), not something where you
had to pay a monthly fee. Even in countries where you have to pay a
licence fee, you can get away with not paying it and still receive the
radio waves.

Which borough? (I'm also in NYC)

Manhattan.

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

Old September 18th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , I.P. Yurin
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:41:17 -0000, Stephanie Weil
wrote:
On Sep 17, 6:57 am, "Brenda Ann" wrote:

Were I at home now, I would give up on commercial radio, and spend the
paltry sum on XM or Sirius.. at least they program for more than the status
quo.

You're gonna pay for radio?!!! Sucka!

I'd rather take the money I'd save on pay-radio and instead spend it
on records, tapes, CDs and replacement diamonds for my hi-fi.

Good strategy. But also note that you can RECORD pay radio and make
lots of cheap tapes and CDs. Burn a couple of CDs per month and
satellite radio can pay for itself. (1 retail CD == 1 month of sat.
radio.)

And then there are always the hundreds of Internet audio feeds going
on if I don't want to "spin my own".

And what... you DON'T pay a monthly subscription for your internet
access???

Many people I've met have your same, odd attitude. And the
contradiction continues to puzzle me: why do you recoil at paying for
radio but happily accept paying for net access?

Because Radio & TV in the US is nothing but one long commercial. The
internet (at this point in time) offers a great deal more than that. I
do not pay for TV access. No cable. No satellite. No thanks.

The whole "radio/tv should be free and other media should not be" is
just a big headscratcher to those of us who try to approach life
logically.

I laugh at people who wear "logowear". Is your self-esteem so low that
you pay for the privilege of advertising your favorite sweatshop owner?

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

Which borough? (I'm also in NYC)

Old September 19th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 18, 5:15?pm, Steve wrote:
On Sep 18, 3:46 pm, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:

In article , I.P. Yurin

wrote:
[...]

Which borough? (I'm also in NYC)- Hide quoted text -

I tend to agree with you here. I'll never enjoy the internet the way I
used to enjoy AM/MW radio, but the internet will at least let me
listen to most, if not all, of the stations I enjoyed prior to AM
IBOC. If the AM broadcast band really is history, and I'm more and
more thinking that it is, then streaming audio via the internet seems
like the way to go.- Hide quoted text -

Isn't it amazing that just to jam adjacent, smaller broadcasters off
the dial, that the HD Radio Alliance's own stations are jamming each
other! The broadcast industry must be full of morons - I've heard that
it IS full of alcoholics.

Old September 19th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

it IS full of alcoholics.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know if they're alcoholics, but if Tardo is any indication
they're certainly morons.

Old September 19th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

they're certainly morons.- Hide quoted text -

"NAB TO DISTRIBUTE GUIDEBOOK FOR NATIONAL ALCOHOL AND DRUG ADDICTION
RECOVERY MONTH"

http://www.nab.org/AM/Template.cfm?S...entDisplay.cfm

Yup - alcoholics!

Old September 19th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

On Sep 17, 6:57 am, "Brenda Ann" wrote:

Were I at home now, I would give up on commercial radio, and spend the
paltry sum on XM or Sirius.. at least they program for more than the status
quo.

You're gonna pay for radio?!!! Sucka!

I'd rather take the money I'd save on pay-radio and instead spend it
on records, tapes, CDs and replacement diamonds for my hi-fi.

And then there are always the hundreds of Internet audio feeds going
on if I don't want to "spin my own".

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

You pay for radio every time you buy name brand crap at the store. At
least with satellite radio you don't have to pay to be insulted while
they're picking your pocket.
Old September 19th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sep 19, 9:52 am, David wrote:

You pay for radio every time you buy name brand crap at the store. At
least with satellite radio you don't have to pay to be insulted while
they're picking your pocket.

Some channels on both Sirius and XM have commercials. I believe it's
only some of the music channels that are totally commercial free. But
the talk stuff? Oh yeah, that has spots. And you're paying to hear
those....

Stephanie Weil
New York City, NY

Old September 19th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

wrote:
On Sep 17, 6:57 am, "Brenda Ann" wrote:

Were I at home now, I would give up on commercial radio, and spend the
paltry sum on XM or Sirius.. at least they program for more than the status
quo.

You're gonna pay for radio?!!! Sucka!

I'd rather take the money I'd save on pay-radio and instead spend it
on records, tapes, CDs and replacement diamonds for my hi-fi.

And then there are always the hundreds of Internet audio feeds going
on if I don't want to "spin my own".

Stephanie Weil
New York City, USA

You pay for radio every time you buy name brand crap at the store. At
least with satellite radio you don't have to pay to be insulted while
they're picking your pocket.- Hide quoted text -

David - Hello Can I Get A "Reality Check" ! ? ! ?

For Any Product or Service in most of the World
that you buy "You Pay" for the Cost of Advertising.
- - - Be It Print Media or Electronic Media

* Free Radio is just a 'by-product' of the overall scheme
of Commercial Advertising in a Consumer Focused
Market Place. {Capitalism At Work}

That's A Fact Jack {David} ~ RHF
Old September 20th 07, 10:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Sep 19, 10:01 pm, David wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:34:34 -0700, RHF
wrote:

David - Hello Can I Get A "Reality Check" ! ? ! ?

For Any Product or Service in most of the World
that you buy "You Pay" for the Cost of Advertising.
- - - Be It Print Media or Electronic Media

* Free Radio is just a 'by-product' of the overall scheme
of Commercial Advertising in a Consumer Focused
Market Place. {Capitalism At Work}

That's A Fact Jack {David} ~ RHF
.

''Brand name'' products are the same as store brand products. The
only difference is the fact that they are hyped and you are a monkey.

David - And when that Store Advertises :
You Pay Directly or Indirectly for each
Brand Name and Store Brand Item. ~ RHF