Old September 21st 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Senior Member

Default Battery Operated "Portable' Shortwave Radios Used As Table-Tops With External Antenna

Don't count out the HF-150. While I suspect the one currently on ebay
will go for an excessive amount of money, they often go for around
$400. IMO this makes it a fine value, especially considering that
you'd pay close to $400 for many new or used portables.- Hide quoted text -

That would be a decent price for an HF-150. And that's a sturdy
little set, too.

Hey Steve, have you ever found any need for the optional PR-150? Just
wondering about the HF-150's front end... I never really had a chance
to play with one of these for any great length of time.

Best,

Junius

Old September 22nd 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You might want to cross the Sat 800 off the list--it chews up D cells at an
amazing rate.

"willismat" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Sep 21, 6:58 am, Steve wrote:
On Sep 20, 11:09 pm, willismat wrote:

On Sep 20, 3:54 pm, RHF wrote:

= = = On Sep 19, 2:36 pm, willismat
= = = wrote:
-
- Does anyone have experience and an opinion
- (good and bad points) about any of these receivers:
-

- AOR AR-3030http://www.dxing.com/rx/ar3030.htm
Limited Battery Operation uses Eight (8) AA-Cells

- Bearcat
DX-1000http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/commrxvr/dx1000.html
-IF- Battery Opperation is a key feature the Bearcat
does use Eight (8) D-Cells

- Magnavox
D-2999http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/d2999.html
* Very Collectable

- Panasonic RF-3100 - RF-4800/4900 -
RF-600http://www.dxing.com/rx/rf2800.htmhttp://www.dxing.com/rx/rf4800.htmh...
* Collectable - But don't waste your Money

- Realistic
DX-300/302http://www.dxing.com/rx/dx200.htmhttp://www.dxing.com/rx/dx302.htm
* The Better Idea - Consider the Realistic DX-394
Receiver that has been Modified by
"LowBander"http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ180160394997

- Sony
ICF-6700W/6800Whttp://www.dxing.com/rx/icf6500w.htmhttp://www.dxing.com/rx/icf6800w.htm
* Collectable

- Yaesu Musen FRG-7http://www.dxing.com/rx/frg7.htm
* Collectable - A Classic

Don't count out the HF-150. While I suspect the one currently on ebay
will go for an excessive amount of money, they often go for around
$400. IMO this makes it a fine value, especially considering that
you'd pay close to $400 for many new or used portables.- Hide quoted
text -

You're right, I probably will have to put out more than I had
expected. Even for a backup its a good idea to have a good performer,
so in the end I guess it would be a good value.
The D2999 has been suggested a few times to be avoided (when the eBay
cost is considered). Same with the Bearcat and aparently all the
Panasonics.
I have noticed a few Sony ICF-6700Ws on eBay have sold in the $150-200
range. The 6800WA (Orange) is the one that gets attention but how is
this receiver, a decent value at $150?
Probably a good idea to save a bit more and figure on looking for a
good deal around $350 for a Sat 800, Sony 2010 or HF-150, if I can
find one at the right time.

Old September 23rd 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Battery Operated Tabletops

"willismat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have experience and an opinion (good and bad points) about
any of these receivers:

AOR AR-3030
Bearcat DX-1000
Magnavox D-2999
Panasonic RF-3100
RF-4800/4900
RF-600
Realistic DX-300/302
Sony ICF-6700W/6800W
Yaesu Musen FRG-7

I'm looking for a backup radio that can handle a decent outdoor
antenna, and take internal batteries.
If I missed any, please add it to the list with any comments on it you
might have, thanks!

I have had several battery operated Tabletop radios.
DX 300 DX302
Pansonic RF 2800
And a FRG 7.

The FRG-7 was also sold by SEARS under their label. Same guts and
performance as the second version of the Yeasu FRG-7 with the fine tuning
knob.

I kept my RF2800 in my kitchen in daily operation for almost 30 years, and
it would still be in use today if a lightning induced power line surge
hadn't zapped it.

These really are electric mains operated radios with internal power
transformers, and battery backup.
When I take them out of the house and operate them on battery power, I
notice that there is MUCH LESS noise in the audio.

They tend to overload when connected to an outdoor antenna except for my
FRG-7.

If you are just going for general Broadcast and casual SW broadcast
listening, I would like the Panasonic 4800 mainly for the audio quality of
the built in speakers.

For more serious DXing I would go with the FRG-7.