RadioBanter

-   -   Nighttime AM HD Operation (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/125437-nighttime-am-hd-operation.html)

Telamon September 29th 07 07:47 PM

Nighttime AM HD Operation

In article ,
"David Eduardo" wrote:

"Roadie" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 28, 7:50 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"Roadie" wrote in message

ups.com...

There would be no audience statistics that showed whether night
HD was good or bad, just as there are none for daytime
operation.- Hide quoted text -

There are no listener or audience statistics for radio stations?
How in the world do radio stations determine market share, sell
advertising, etc., then?

The effect of HD can not be measured; radio ratings vary
considerably due to competitive situations, the normal statistical
wobble or error of a poll and there is no way to tell which reason
of many is affecting ratings. Since the HD1 channel of every FM is
a simulcast of the analog channel, there is no way to distinguish
it from the analog product in the ratings; AM has no secondary
channels so there is going to be no difference in ratings for an
HD or non-HD station. So far, in this early stage, there is no
measurement of HD 2 channels although in the People Meter, such
channels will encode for Arbitron separately and will then be
measurable.

The point isn't trying to use statistics to point a finger at HD,
but rather to use them to determine whether the channels are
attracting a sufficient audience. That's all those numbers are
really good for.

The main purpose of FM HD is to provide digital main channel audio
and robust texting; the digital audio is the only enhancement for AM
of significance. Simulcasts are not measured separately in radio
ratings.

What is not significant is your constant pontificating.

You realize that you have painted yourself into a corner, either you are
for real and look like a complete jackass or you are a faker.

I don't know which situation is worse for you but that's where you are
at in the news group.

If you are for real I sure hope people in your industry don't read this
news group for your own sake.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David Eduardo[_4_] September 29th 07 08:09 PM

Nighttime AM HD Operation

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...

The main purpose of FM HD is to provide digital main channel audio and
robust texting; the digital audio is the only enhancement for AM of
significance. Simulcasts are not measured separately in radio ratings.-

And what reason do we have to think you're telling the truth THIS time?

Because Arbitron's simulcast policy is posted on their website, moron.

David Eduardo[_4_] September 29th 07 08:14 PM

Nighttime AM HD Operation

"Telamon" wrote in message

The main purpose of FM HD is to provide digital main channel audio
and robust texting; the digital audio is the only enhancement for AM
of significance. Simulcasts are not measured separately in radio
ratings.

What is not significant is your constant pontificating.

You realize that you have painted yourself into a corner, either you are
for real and look like a complete jackass or you are a faker.

I don't know which situation is worse for you but that's where you are
at in the news group.

If you are for real I sure hope people in your industry don't read this
news group for your own sake.

I'm sure they don't read this group, as few were ever DXers. That is why I
get invited to speak at NAB, RAB, NAB Europe, etc.

For the moment, the main advantage of HD is having a digital version of the
content on the analog signal: as more receivers arrive, there will be
increased interest in the secondary channels, and the use of closed channels
for special data delivery applications. That's the entire business model of
HD, in fact.