RadioBanter

-   -   How the FCC could improve AM nighttime (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/125556-how-fcc-could-improve-am-nighttime.html)

[email protected] October 1st 07 03:07 PM

How the FCC could improve AM nighttime

- Ban HD Radio after sunset. Discontinue analog AM in 2015, and then
make it all digital.

IMHO.

Brian S October 1st 07 05:25 PM

On Oct 1, 7:07 am, wrote:
- Ban HD Radio after sunset. Discontinue analog AM in 2015, and then
make it all digital.

IMHO.

I think the only AM's that should be allowed to run IBOC should be
limited to a nite time power limit of 1000 watts or less!
No way should a 50,000 watt AM be allowed to run IBOC at night.

Ron Hardin October 1st 07 05:31 PM

Brian S wrote:

On Oct 1, 7:07 am, wrote:
- Ban HD Radio after sunset. Discontinue analog AM in 2015, and then
make it all digital.

IMHO.

I think the only AM's that should be allowed to run IBOC should be
limited to a nite time power limit of 1000 watts or less!
No way should a 50,000 watt AM be allowed to run IBOC at night.

1000 watts goes coast to coast. You just don't notice it because
there's a thousand other 1000 watt stations on at the same time, and
you're hearing them all at once.

IBOCcrock October 1st 07 05:46 PM

On Oct 1, 10:07 am, wrote:
- Ban HD Radio after sunset. Discontinue analog AM in 2015, and then
make it all digital.

IMHO.

Never happen - radio will always stay analog, as digital radio has
stalled in Canada and the US and interest is slowing in the UK.

RHF October 1st 07 06:07 PM

On Oct 1, 9:31 am, Ron Hardin wrote:
Brian S wrote:

On Oct 1, 7:07 am, wrote:
- Ban HD Radio after sunset. Discontinue analog AM in 2015, and then
make it all digital.

IMHO.

I think the only AM's that should be allowed to run IBOC should be
limited to a nite time power limit of 1000 watts or less!
No way should a 50,000 watt AM be allowed to run IBOC at night.

1000 watts goes coast to coast. You just don't notice it because
there's a thousand other 1000 watt stations on at the same time, and
you're hearing them all at once.

10 or 20 or 40 or more 1000 Watt AM/MW Radio Stations
all on the same Frequency at Night Broadcasting in IBOC
from Coast-to-Coast - OH THE DIGITAL HASH !

Add in the Upper and Lower Adjacent Channels and
Every One of their IBOC Broadcasters
NOW YOU HAVE MEGA DIGITAL HASH NOISE
UP AND DOWN THE AM/MW RADIO BAND !

iboc the pain of radio listening makes people go tv ~ RHF

[email protected] October 1st 07 06:29 PM

On Oct 1, 11:46 am, IBOCcrock wrote:
On Oct 1, 10:07 am, wrote:

- Ban HD Radio after sunset. Discontinue analog AM in 2015, and then
make it all digital.

IMHO.

Never happen - radio will always stay analog

Well I hope your wrong. I'm really enjoying these extra channels.
For example, my local FM station has just added a "Remix Top40"
channel which is basically all the current hits, but in a dance
format.

Cool.

And my Christain station has added "Gospel" on HD2 and "CCM for Teens"
on HD3.

Cool.

And my Rock station has added "Classic (60s-70s)" and "Indie Rock" to
its HD2 and HD3.

Cool.

This is what digital radio is all about: Increasing the number of
choices available to listeners. How can you possibly sit there and
say this is a bad idea for FM Radio?!?!?

IBOCcrock October 1st 07 06:55 PM

On Oct 1, 10:07 am, wrote:
- Ban HD Radio after sunset. Discontinue analog AM in 2015, and then
make it all digital.

IMHO.

Will never happen - digital radio around the world is DOA

David Eduardo[_4_] October 1st 07 07:00 PM

How the FCC could improve AM nighttime

"Brian S" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 1, 7:07 am, wrote:
- Ban HD Radio after sunset. Discontinue analog AM in 2015, and then
make it all digital.

IMHO.

I think the only AM's that should be allowed to run IBOC should be
limited to a nite time power limit of 1000 watts or less!
No way should a 50,000 watt AM be allowed to run IBOC at night.

A 50 kw AM runs 500 watts of HD digital signal.

G October 1st 07 07:15 PM

On Oct 1, 10:07 am, wrote:

[...]

I really hate one format shows. I go through the cable TV music channels
and find them terribly boring, and allthough I like a minimum amount
of DJ's, a DJ is very necessary.

greg

G October 1st 07 07:17 PM

Brian S wrote:

On Oct 1, 7:07 am, wrote:
- Ban HD Radio after sunset. Discontinue analog AM in 2015, and then
make it all digital.

IMHO.

I think the only AM's that should be allowed to run IBOC should be
limited to a nite time power limit of 1000 watts or less!
No way should a 50,000 watt AM be allowed to run IBOC at night.

1000 watts goes coast to coast. You just don't notice it because
there's a thousand other 1000 watt stations on at the same time, and
you're hearing them all at once.

It would only go coast to coast in very good conditions. Conditions
vary a lot. Even 50K channels are not heard consistantly.

greg

.