Old October 10th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Skin Thickness, RF penetration into conductors.

So this won't get lost in a silly thread, I thought it might be useful
to others
to have real data on "Skin Effect" for RF.
http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/skindepth.cfm
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/skin_depth.htm
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/cond_high_freq.htm

The first link has a very nice graph that shows how rapidly skin
depth
decreases with frequency.

The lab I worked at had walls of 1/8" copper mesh that looked to be
about 22AWG. I thought of measuring it, but decided I didn't want to
risk damaging it. I sure couldn't afford to replace a section!

1/4" rat wire will work up to at least 150MHz.

And any openings in the walls must be less then 1/10 the highest
frequencies wavelength for protection against very high RF fields,
such as EMP, NEMP, HEMP etc.

If anyone is bored enough we have a very nice flame war going on
in alt.survival. Given that we are arguing over science and unknowns,
I feel somewhat like a theologian arguing about "how many angels can
dance on the head of a needle."

Terry

Old October 13th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

....and here I am thinking you are talking about the skin thickness of
the typical r.r.s poster. I have to remind myself that this group
really is supposed to be about

RADIO!

(Interesting links, but no time to look at them now. Thx much.)

--
Eric F. Richards

"This book reads like a headache on paper."
http://www.cnn.com/2001/CAREER/readi...one/index.html

There are 3 coaxial conductors. Reg Edwards Antenna 0 September 1st 05 12:59 AM
UHF penetration & path loss Q: Ken Bessler Antenna 5 April 20th 05 01:57 PM
wire thickness ml Antenna 4 March 14th 05 12:26 AM
ladder line position wrt conductors? Larry Gagnon Antenna 3 August 21st 04 05:51 PM
TWTHED'S SPHINCTER POPS FROM STRESS OF GAY PENETRATION Citizens For A Keyclown-Free Newsgroup CB 1 November 11th 03 07:13 PM