RadioBanter

-   -   DX Engineering phasing unit (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/126008-dx-engineering-phasing-unit.html)

Steve October 14th 07 01:31 AM

DX Engineering phasing unit

Looks like it's finally here. It's expensive, but if it lives up to
the hype I'm sure they'll sell plenty of them:

http://tinyurl.com/2cor2e

[email protected] October 14th 07 01:53 AM

On Oct 13, 8:31 pm, Steve wrote:
Looks like it's finally here. It's expensive, but if it lives up to
the hype I'm sure they'll sell plenty of them:

http://tinyurl.com/2cor2e

I'm curious as to how it compares to the JPS/Timewave unit, but that's
far too much to pay just to get the answer.

Ron Hardin October 14th 07 06:25 PM

wrote:

On Oct 13, 8:31 pm, Steve wrote:
Looks like it's finally here. It's expensive, but if it lives up to
the hype I'm sure they'll sell plenty of them:

http://tinyurl.com/2cor2e

I'm curious as to how it compares to the JPS/Timewave unit, but that's
far too much to pay just to get the answer.

It's overhyped when it claims it's more stable ; the JPS/Timewave stays fixed
to a very fine degree over weeks. The weakness of the JPS/Timewave ANC-4 is
that the controls (particularly phase) need some kind of bandspread pot for fine
adjustment ; and that over time the pots get scratchy (albeit fixed by Deoxit
spray).

Voltage controlled phase sounds intrinsically less stable to me, but what do
I know.

I assume, but do not know, that the ANC-4 just combines a direct signal with
one that goes thru a capacitor, varying the combination with a pot, to change
phase. And another pot for gain. This is then added to the other antenna.

Steve October 15th 07 10:41 PM

On Oct 13, 8:31 pm, Steve wrote:
Looks like it's finally here. It's expensive, but if it lives up to
the hype I'm sure they'll sell plenty of them:

http://tinyurl.com/2cor2e

Man, this puppy needs a 12 to 15 Vdc / 2 A power source.