Old October 14th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The Thrill Of SWL

Look I don't want to start a trolling or a flame war but in my early
days of SWL with my Star Roamer that I built from the kit, I found it
really exciting to listen. The ship-to-shore on 3 or 4 MHz (mcs back
then) was the NY Marine Operator and there were phone conversations to
listen in on, then there was the international BC with radio Moscow
giving their take on world news and of course hams all over the place.

Well now some 30 years later, I'm bored with the whole thing....yeah I
try to catch a slight Gander Radio every now and then or still the
international stuff that might be in English. But for the most part,
the thrill is gone; unfortunately.

I hate to say it but I'll probably get rid of the Eton E5, Panasonic
RF-2200 and the R-390, having lost interest in this one-time exciting
hobby. (well, maybe not the R-390...)

I don't ask for comments or critiques...just wonder if there's others
that share my disappointment. And certainly most everything that can be
listened to can be found on the Internet (with somebody else's Internet
controlled SW receiver).

Thanks...!

--Bill
(in northern NJ)
Old October 14th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hi Bill, I just finished building a Ten-Tec 1054 SWL radio, after 15
years away from the hobby. I'm very disappointed with what I'm not
hearing. It seems that most Western countries have abandoned shortwave
in favour of satellite and internet broadcasting. What's left is
religious stations, China/Taiwan, amateur radio, and the utilities.

David

Old October 14th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
David Snowdon wrote:

In article ,
Bill wrote:

Bill wrote:
[...]

I suggest getting a hold of a short wave schedule and try again. There
is much more out there to listen to than what you listed.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 15th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 18:23:29 -0400, David Snowdon
wrote:

Hi Bill, I just finished building a Ten-Tec 1054 SWL radio, after 15
years away from the hobby. I'm very disappointed with what I'm not
hearing. It seems that most Western countries have abandoned shortwave
in favour of satellite and internet broadcasting. What's left is
religious stations, China/Taiwan, amateur radio, and the utilities.

David

Sunspots are not optimal. Wait a couple years.
Old October 14th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yeah word to that. It will take some kind of major damage, man made or
otherwise, or a government crackdown closing off the internet to get
shortwave going. Look at those pour people in Burma, shortwave sales
through the roof.

Old October 15th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 18:07:10 -0400, Bill wrote:

snip
Well now some 30 years later, I'm bored with the whole thing....yeah I try
to catch a slight Gander Radio every now and then or still the

snip

The solar cycle is bad. You may need to wait a few more months for
conditions to improve before the excitement comes back.
Old October 15th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 14, 6:07 pm, Bill wrote:
[...]

There are all kinds of utilities to listen to. I still hear
conversations on the marine frequencies fairly often, but that's the
tip of an extremely large iceberg. In fact, I've noticed more than
once that the people I know who're into utility monitoring never make
the complaint that there's little to listen to.

Old October 15th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 14, 6:07?pm, Bill wrote:
[...]

I too built a Star Raomer back i nthe 1960's - nbavk then there was a
bunch of good stuff to listen to, but now, I understand that SWL is a
bunch of religious crap.

Old October 15th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 14, 6:07 pm, Bill wrote:
Look I don't want to start a trolling or a flame war but in my early
days of SWL with my Star Roamer that I built from the kit, I found it
really exciting to listen...

Well now some 30 years later, I'm bored with the whole thing....yeah I
try to catch a slight Gander Radio every now and then or still the
international stuff that might be in English. But for the most part,
the thrill is gone; unfortunately.

I don't ask for comments or critiques...just wonder if there's others
that share my disappointment.

--Bill
(in northern NJ)

No, I don't share your disappointment at all. I still enjoy this
hobby very much, but I'm probably looking for different things from it
than you are. Sure, shortwave radio has changed in the 30 years from
when I started as a kid, but its hardly dead (full of U.S. religious
stations maybe, but hardly dead).

Old October 15th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 14, 10:37 pm, wrote:
On Oct 14, 6:07 pm, Bill wrote:

[...]

I agree. In the 1970's it was full of political propaganda, which some
people complained about at the time. Now it's religious stuff. But
there's plenty of other stuff too. Russia, Slovakia, China, Japan,
Iran, Spain and plenty of other places are still broadcasting away.