Old October 17th 07, 11:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WABC IBOC in Oho

I'm testing out WABC 770 reception in Ohio --
There's IBOC hash continuously from WBBM 780 Chicago,
and soon will be from WJR 760 Detroit.

Some country station is fading up and down over WABC, as it goes
down and up between 6AM and 7AM

But wait! At 6:30 WABC comes in in HD! The noise is gone.
I think that's the only time that IBOC has worked in my favor
at such a great distance (500 miles).

I wonder how long it will last. Probably not long. It's
been working for ten minutes now, though.

(Sangean HDT-1 HD tuner, sharing an antenna with a R8B ;
using two elements of a phased array to null away WBBM)

As I recall, WABC is completely gone by 7:30 AM.

Old October 17th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 17, 6:48 am, Ron Hardin wrote:

But wait! At 6:30 WABC comes in in HD! The noise is gone.
I think that's the only time that IBOC has worked in my favor
at such a great distance (500 miles).

What are you using for an antenna?

Old October 17th 07, 01:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve wrote:

On Oct 17, 6:48 am, Ron Hardin wrote:

But wait! At 6:30 WABC comes in in HD! The noise is gone.
I think that's the only time that IBOC has worked in my favor
at such a great distance (500 miles).

What are you using for an antenna?

Two ALA1530's phased to listen east.

WABC is still there at 8am, but has had intervals when it's under
the hash and other stations. IBOC reception ended after about about
20 minutes.

Old October 17th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:04:00 -0400, Ron Hardin wrote:
WABC is still there at 8am, but has had intervals when it's under
the hash and other stations. IBOC reception ended after about about
20 minutes.

That's a pretty decent record - don't think I've ever had an out-of-town
IBOC station lock in for more than 90 seconds at a time.

Old October 17th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 17, 8:51 am, Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:04:00 -0400, Ron Hardin wrote:
WABC is still there at 8am, but has had intervals when it's under
the hash and other stations. IBOC reception ended after about about
20 minutes.

That's a pretty decent record - don't think I've ever had an out-of-town
IBOC station lock in for more than 90 seconds at a time.

I'll bet you would if you used two ALA1530's phased against each other!

Old October 17th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 17, 7:42 am, Steve wrote:
On Oct 17, 6:48 am, Ron Hardin wrote:

But wait! At 6:30 WABC comes in in HD! The noise is gone.
I think that's the only time that IBOC has worked in my favor
at such a great distance (500 miles).

What are you using for an antenna?

Average consumers won't bother - just as with cell phones and analog
radios, consumers want plug-and-play.

Old October 17th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Imus is coming back on AM ( 770 , WABC)

& also RFD-TV

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/17/ar...=1&oref=slogin

Old October 18th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:04:00 -0400, Ron Hardin wrote:
WABC is still there at 8am, but has had intervals when it's under
the hash and other stations. IBOC reception ended after about about
20 minutes.

That's a pretty decent record - don't think I've ever had an out-of-town
IBOC station lock in for more than 90 seconds at a time.

KMOX 1120, about 300 miles, in HD for hours on end using a Terk passive AM
loop.

Old October 18th 07, 08:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Oct 17, 7:18 am, IBOCcrock wrote:
On Oct 17, 7:42 am, Steve wrote:

On Oct 17, 6:48 am, Ron Hardin wrote:

But wait! At 6:30 WABC comes in in HD! The noise is gone.
I think that's the only time that IBOC has worked in my favor
at such a great distance (500 miles).

What are you using for an antenna?

- Average consumers won't bother - just as with cell phones
- and analog radios, consumers want plug-and-play.

IBOC Crock,

The general members {Readers & Posters} of this Shortwave
Radio & AM DXing Newsgroup are NOT 'Average' Consumers
-and- Clearly We Are NOT "The Average" Radio Listener.

Hear This - WE ARE RADIO LISTENING FANATICS !

With Three Exceptions - I Ask Myself : What IBOC ?
All I See Is The Blinking Blue Light ! ~ RHF
In That Distant Land* Where IBOC Fears To Go :
Life Exists and Radio Listeners Live Beyond the 10mv/m Contour.
* Twain Harte, CA -USA-
Old October 18th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Oct 17, 3:48 am, Ron Hardin wrote:
I'm testing out WABC 770 reception in Ohio --
There's IBOC hash continuously from WBBM 780 Chicago,
and soon will be from WJR 760 Detroit.

Some country station is fading up and down over WABC, as it goes
down and up between 6AM and 7AM

But wait! At 6:30 WABC comes in in HD! The noise is gone.

- I think that's the only time that IBOC has worked in my favor
- at such a great distance (500 miles).

I wonder how long it will last. Probably not long. It's
been working for ten minutes now, though.

(Sangean HDT-1 HD tuner, sharing an antenna with a R8B ;
using two elements of a phased array to null away WBBM)

As I recall, WABC is completely gone by 7:30 AM.

Hello d'Eduardo - Proving Once Again Life Exists and
Radio Listeners Live Way Beyond The 10mv/m Contour.

the faint sounds coming out of the radio are call to me
-and- you can hear them too - if you listen ~ RHF