Old November 12th 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Tugboat Extravaganza

At 0610 utc having clear copy on some tugboat comms on 4149 khz usb.
WPE-Jacksonville (Crowley Marine) working various different boats
(including Gauntlet, Hanson, Defender and others) as they check in
with position reports, weather, fuel on board, etc.

Receiver: Drake R8B
Antenna: Wellbrook ALA-330s (phased against an LF-Engineering H-800
Skymatch)
Location: Brooklyn, NY

(Check-ins seem to have stopped, at least for now, at 0622 utc)

Old November 12th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 12, 2:42 am, "Burr" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

ups.com...

At 0610 utc having clear copy on some tugboat comms on 4149 khz usb.
WPE-Jacksonville (Crowley Marine) working various different boats
(including Gauntlet, Hanson, Defender and others) as they check in
with position reports, weather, fuel on board, etc.

Receiver: Drake R8B
Antenna: Wellbrook ALA-330s (phased against an LF-Engineering H-800
Skymatch)
Location: Brooklyn, NY

(Check-ins seem to have stopped, at least for now, at 0622 utc)

Thanks Steve, you do good post.

Did you ever here or read any reports about the 2182 stuff yesterday?

Burr

I've looked but haven't found anything. I'll probably give it a couple
of days and then look again. News might be slow making it to the web
given that it's Veteran's Day weekend.

Steve

Old November 14th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 12, 1:22 am, Steve wrote:
At 0610 utc having clear copy on some tugboat comms on 4149 khz usb.
WPE-Jacksonville (Crowley Marine) working various different boats

self (including Gauntlet, Hanson, Defender and others) as they check
in
with position reports, weather, fuel on board, etc.

Receiver: Drake R8B
Antenna: Wellbrook ALA-330s (phased against an LF-Engineering H-800
Skymatch)
Location: Brooklyn, NY

(Check-ins seem to have stopped, at least for now, at 0622 utc)

Steve,

How does the H-800 antenna perform by itself?

I am looking to add an antenna here & that is one I am considering.
The RF Systems MTA is also another one I am looking at.

BTW I am currently using a ALA1530 & a low 180 ft. Horizontal loop.

73, Kenny KG4BIG

Old November 15th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 14, 6:46 pm, Ken Wilson wrote:
On Nov 12, 1:22 am, Steve wrote: At 0610 utc having clear copy on some tugboat comms on 4149 khz usb.
WPE-Jacksonville (Crowley Marine) working various different boats

self (including Gauntlet, Hanson, Defender and others) as they check
in

with position reports, weather, fuel on board, etc.

Receiver: Drake R8B
Antenna: Wellbrook ALA-330s (phased against an LF-Engineering H-800
Skymatch)
Location: Brooklyn, NY

(Check-ins seem to have stopped, at least for now, at 0622 utc)

Steve,

How does the H-800 antenna perform by itself?

I am looking to add an antenna here & that is one I am considering.
The RF Systems MTA is also another one I am looking at.

BTW I am currently using a ALA1530 & a low 180 ft. Horizontal loop.

73, Kenny KG4BIG

The H-800 is a good antenna and a good value. However, it sounds like
you already have some great antennas and I don't think the H-800 will
rival the Wellbrook or the big horizontal loop. I use mine almost
exclusively as a 'noise antenna' that I phase against the Wellbrook
and it works very well for that. And it's a good antenna as actives
go--one of the best, actually, especially for the tropical bands and
below--but not a match for the loops you have.

That's about how I'd size it up. Other people here might have
different opinions to offer.

Steve