Old November 24th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Alpha Delta - Balun or not?

Good evening, all.

With no reply from Alpha Delta to my enquiry regarding the benfits of adding
a balun to a stock installation of their DX-SWL Shortwave Sloper Antenna, I
ask of you the same question... is this a no-brainer? Shuild I be injecting
a ~10:1 balun in order to maximize efficiency? I have seen nothing on the
'net to date specifically referring to this design or the merits of
modifying same..

Regards,

Blair
Aurora, Ontario

Old November 24th 07, 09:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Alpha Delta DX-SWL Shortwave Sloper Antenna - Use a Balun or Not ?

On Nov 23, 8:48 pm, "News" wrote:
-
- Good evening, all.
-
- With no reply from Alpha Delta to my enquiry regarding the benfits
- of adding a balun to a stock installation of their DX-SWL Shortwave
- Sloper Antenna, I ask of you the same question... is this a no-
brainer?
- Shuild I be injecting a ~10:1 balun in order to maximize
efficiency?
- I have seen nothing on the 'net to date specifically referring to
this
- design or the merits of modifying same..
-
- Regards,
-
- Blair
- Aurora, Ontario

Blair,

Why a 10:1 Matching Transformer ?

Why not a 4:1 Matching Transformer ?

Why Not First Use the Alpha Delta DX-SWL Shortwave
Sloper Antenna As It Was Designed To Be Use ?
{With-Out A Matching Transformer}

About - Alpha Delta DX-SWL Shortwave Sloper Antenna
http://www.alphadeltacom.com/pg7.htm

Installation Instructions for the Alpha Delta
DX-SWL Shortwave Sloper Antenna
http://www.alphadeltacom.com/dxswlii.htm

NOTE - The Alpha Delta DX-SWL Shortwave Sloper
Antenna is Designed with an SO239 Connecter to
'match-up-with' a 50 Ohm Coax Cable.
* One Wire "Antenna Element" that is 60 Feet Long
* One Wire "Down-Lead" that is 30 Feet Long
Think of it as an Off-Center-Fed Dipole Antenna that
has One Arm Sloping; and the 'other' Arm Hanging
Vertically Down. {Lazy "L" Windom Antenna}

Some Shortwave Listeners will use a 4:1 Matching
Transformer with a Dipole Antenna to make it more
usable on more Shortwave Bands. IMHO the design
of the Alpha Delta DX-SWL Shortwave Sloper Antenna
get around the need for a 4:1 Matching Transformer.

You could as an Experiment 'try' using a 4:1 Matching
Transformer with the Alpha Delta DX-SWL Shortwave
Sloper Antenna to 'see' -if- the Matching Transformer
will make it more usable on more Shortwave Bands.

However - Alpha Delta DX-SWL Shortwave Sloper Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0799.html
is already advertised as being designed and 'usable' on the
AM/MW Radio Band and the Shortwave Radio Bands :
120m + 90m + 60m + 49m+ 41m + 31m + 25m + 21m +
19m + 16m + 13m (Coverage : 500 kHz to 22 MHz)
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/an...ve-antenna.php

Safety Tips for Shortwave Antennas
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...t/safeswl.html

Line Isolation 1:1 Transformer -IF- You are having some
Common Mode Noise Problems you may wish to consider
using a Line Isolation 1:1 Transformer in the Coax Line
before it enters the House.

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
Old November 24th 07, 10:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

News wrote:

Good evening, all.

With no reply from Alpha Delta to my enquiry regarding the benfits of adding
a balun to a stock installation of their DX-SWL Shortwave Sloper Antenna, I
ask of you the same question... is this a no-brainer? Shuild I be injecting
a ~10:1 balun in order to maximize efficiency?

Please explain just why you think adding a 10:1 balun would 'maximize
efficiency' of this particular antenna.

I'd be interested in the theory behind this.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 24th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

News wrote:
Good evening, all.

With no reply from Alpha Delta to my enquiry regarding the benfits of adding
a balun to a stock installation of their DX-SWL Shortwave Sloper Antenna, I
ask of you the same question... is this a no-brainer? Shuild I be injecting
a ~10:1 balun in order to maximize efficiency? I have seen nothing on the
'net to date specifically referring to this design or the merits of
modifying same..

Regards,

Blair
Aurora, Ontario

A BalUn is not needed as no part of the system is balanced. A ten to
one transformer is not needed as the antenna is already sufficiently
matched to the feedline.
Old November 25th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Here is a good write up regarding the Balun from the ARRL ----
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/8004019.pdf

Alpha Delta DX-EE Help NotMe Antenna 0 July 2nd 07 06:04 PM
FA: Alpha-Delta ALPHA-4 coax switcg KE2D Swap 0 January 18th 05 02:53 AM
FS: Alpha Delta..Delta 2 Coax Switch Keith V Swap 1 May 25th 04 01:30 PM
Wanted: Alpha-Delta Delta-4C Switch TNeill1648 Swap 1 September 25th 03 04:30 AM
ALPHA-DELTA VRC TIM O'HARE Shortwave 1 August 4th 03 10:16 PM