Old November 26th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Default AR-7030+, and some random thoughts.

D Peter Maus wrote:
snip

Consider...None of us are really working the limits on our
receivers, here. We're hobbyists. Casually scanning the bands...

Surprisingly, to me anyway, there are no Usenet Newsgroups
related to radio astronomy, commercial radio, radio engineering,
spectrum surveillance, or other non-ham radio topics. I suppose
these topics are spread out amongst various sci.* and perhaps
business-oriented groups but one would think by now there
would have been some alt.* groups formed for this traffic.

I would also suppose that participants have traditionally
preferred private or exclusive message exchanges such as
mailing lists and secure sites for such traffic, especially
if it involves research data or affiliation with gov't
programs. However, I have noticed a proliferation of
web-based (e.g. Yahoo) discussion groups for serious
scientific data exchange and wonder why Usenet has been
overlooked (I am a fan of public message archiving and
access which is not guaranteed from private message exchanges).

Have any readers here ever wanted to expand the alt.radio hierarchy, e.g.:
alt.radio.radioastronomy
alt.radio.digitalmodes.*
alt.radio.spectrum.*
alt.radio.broadcast.*
alt.radio.sw.*
alt.radio.microwave.*

I just wonder if having such expanded hierarchies would promote more
serious (reduced noise) discussions amongst both amateur and professional
radio users and engineers and we might see how some 'hobbyists' are
'working the limits' on high-end RF gear for real research.

Regards,

Michael
Old November 26th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"msg" wrote in message
D Peter Maus wrote:
[...]

Have yiu tried these?
sci.electronics.basics
Basic Theory and Practice Discussions
sci.electronics.cad
CAD Stuff
sci.electronics.components
Parts Stuff
sci.electronics.design
Electronic Design Discussions
sci.electronics.equipment
Electronic Equipment Discussions
sci.electronics.misc
Misc Electronic Discussions
sci.electronics.repair
Fixing Electronics Discussions

sci.engr.semiconductors
Semiconductor Discussions
sci.physics.electromag
Electromagnetic Discussions
sci.nanotech - Nanotechnology

Lamont

Old November 27th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 26, 3:18 pm, msg wrote:
D PeterMauswrote:

[...]

That would certainly eliminate people on these NG's who get upset with
people for not following the prescribed topic. But part of what I
enjoy reading here is stuff I would not normally search for.
Sometimes a topic - or subject is discussed and I learn a little bit
more new information - I may even do a search on the web or in
literature to find out more. Without a doubt, you could expand these
groups - but I think part of the fun would be lost = as well as the
resources other people supply - that have a more varied or different
background from mine.

Though I do think people do need to relax. If you're not interested
in the post or the topic -- just don't read it. It takes very few
seconds to scan a post and think -- that doesn't apply to me -- You
have arrow keys easily at your disposal. Just move the dang cursor to
something else.

FS:AOR-7030 Bill Shortwave 0 January 28th 07 01:07 PM
Random blogs with random thoughts Not Lloyd General 7 August 10th 06 02:04 PM
Random blogs with random thoughts Not Lloyd Policy 7 August 10th 06 02:04 PM
AOR 7030+ vs JRC NRD 545 D consigliori Shortwave 17 August 21st 05 01:34 AM
AOR 7030 Richard Shortwave 3 May 30th 05 09:49 PM