Old November 27th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HD TV or whatever

I realize this is a radio forum so I apologize in advance - but I need
to purchase a new VCR/DVD combo and I'm wondering if there is a better
kind to get in looking towards HD TV everywhere.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Candy A.
Old November 28th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Nov 27, 6:56 pm, wrote:
On Nov 26, 7:37 pm, candy rosa wrote:

On Nov 26, 9:31 pm, wrote:

On Nov 26, 5:42 pm, candy rosa wrote:

I realize this is a radio forum so I apologize in advance - but I need
to purchase a new VCR/DVD combo and I'm wondering if there is a better
kind to get in looking towards HD TV everywhere.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Candy A.

You'll want to get one with a built-in digital tuner. Circuit City
has 2 VCR/DVD combos on their site that have the tuner built-in. Both
also RECORD DVDs. Price around $250.00. Otherwise, if you get a
combo, there won't be any tuner built-in, so IF recording off-the-air
tv is important to you, you'll need one with the tuner. If you only
watch satellite or cable, it doesn't matter.

OK. Well going to have to print this out and take it with me. Thank
you very much. Do you know a reputable brand. I usually end up with
Sony or Sanyo?? Thanks again.

You may not have much choice in brands as the DVD/VCR combos are just
starting to come out with a built-in digital tuner.- Hide quoted text -

CR,

IF - You do get one of the 'new' DVD/VCRs with the built
in HDTV Tuner [ATSC-Digital TV] you can us it as a "HDTV"
Set-Top-Box along with a SDTV {Analog} to View and Record
"Free" Over-the-Air HDTV Broadcasts.

Note- You will not see things in High-Definition "HD"
-but- You will be able to see What's-Out-There and view
it on a good old Standard {Analog} TV. [WinSome/LoseSome]

The HDTV Tuner Information Site
http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/

HDTV Boot Camp -CNET-
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-3.html

HDTV 101 : A Beginner's Guide -by- David Katzmaier
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-6635863-1.html?tag=txt

hope this helps ~ RHF
Old November 28th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"candy rosa" wrote in message
OK. Well going to have to print this out and take it with me. Thank
you very much. Do you know a reputable brand. I usually end up with
Sony or Sanyo?? Thanks again.

You may not have much choice in brands as the DVD/VCR combos are just
starting to come out with a built-in digital tuner.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, well, that's a new twist. Will it still work with a TV that's not
HD?
Thanks.

AFAIK, all these type units are made to connect either directly to a
TV/monitor (NTSC) via A/V inputs or to a TV (NTSC) through the antenna
connection and watched on Ch. 3 or 4. The HD digital signal is downgraded
to a lower resolution to make it compatible with an NTSC set (and the
recorders, both VCR and DVD, record the NTSC converted signal). To get a
true HD recorder, it costs a LOT more, on the order of $400-700. And you
would need an HD TV/monitor to get any real use out of one.

Old November 28th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 26, 9:31 pm, wrote:

[...]

Wow - thanks everybody -- I'll be looking after the holidays -- I'm
not that desparate to try to shop now. I'll take all your notes with
me.

THANKS.