Old November 28th 07, 04:47 AM posted to alt.radio.broadcasting, rec.radio.shortwave, alt.commercial-hit-radio,alt.radio.broadcasting.open
RHF RHF is offline

Default Internet Radio Ain't "Free" Over-the-Air Radio

On Nov 27, 9:57 pm, wrote:
A recent trend is over taking radio and I think the radio gurus don't really
understand or know what to do!

Several months and years ago I remember reading predictions about the
internet and how it might effect radio.
Well today those predictions are coming true and for the first time internet
ad revenues are out pacing radio!

eMarketer estimates that US online ad spending will reach $21.7 billion this
year, while radio spending will grow only slightly to $20.4 billion. Of
course, the radio audience is still huge. According to Bridge Ratings
http://www.bridgeratings.com/, terrestrial radio commands a weekly
cumulative audience of nearly 283 million Americans.
Nevertheless, data from a number of researchers indicates that traditional
radio is losing its significance in people's lives. US adults are spending
more time each day on the Internet and watching TV than listening to the
radio.

And radio's future, HD broadcasting, may also present another nightmare for
operators. Consider this, radio listening is shrinking, there simply are
less people spending time with radio and young people would rather go to the
internet or listen to their ipods for music/entertainment.

Now add HD operators to the mix.. Consider one fm now becomes 3 radio
stations because of HD, so a market with 30 analog FM signals now balloons
to over 90 signals! And that's not counting Am's either.
And worst yet, HD radio won't attract new listeners, it will simply take
listeners from the existing markets causing
mass audience shares to shrink. Rates and revenues will also shrink because
media buyers place buys based on numbers, cpp, or cpm. Operators will be
faced with more inventory to sell with less people listening and
listenership fractured even more. This model works for cable because of
paying subscribers that radio doesn't have.

I've seen a lot of changes, but today operators are selling their spots on a
ebay clone called bid for spots. And even google is buying unsold radio
inventory and reselling it through the internet to advertisers.. it's all
crazy for sure, but not good for radio as we know it. Radio as we know it
today will change so enjoy what you have..

S&M,

Internet Radio Ain't "Free" Over-the-Air Radio.

As For Me I Am Currently Listening To : RHC {English}
6180 kHz -Note- Earlier was DXers UnLimited with
Arnie Coro topic Half-Square Antenna

~ RHF