RadioBanter

-   -   RFI: Another thought (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/127769-rfi-another-thought.html)

[email protected] November 30th 07 11:13 PM

RFI: Another thought

Many 10 to 20 year old solid state SWL receivers use discreet logic
ICs and
suffer from insufficient bypassing.

I found that bypassing all of the ICs in the R2000 lowered the
internal noise floor
by slightly over 4dB. I measured this degree of improvement on 4
R2000s.

I used 0.001 across the DIPs and 0.001 with a 1uF tantalum across the
LSI chips.
I also added 1uFs willy nilly on the +5V rail.

Terry

Telamon December 1st 07 04:08 AM

RFI: Another thought

In article
,
wrote:

Many 10 to 20 year old solid state SWL receivers use discreet logic
ICs and suffer from insufficient bypassing.

I found that bypassing all of the ICs in the R2000 lowered the
internal noise floor by slightly over 4dB. I measured this degree of
improvement on 4 R2000s.

I used 0.001 across the DIPs and 0.001 with a 1uF tantalum across the
LSI chips. I also added 1uFs willy nilly on the +5V rail.

That is an indication of insufficient ground and power planes in the PCB
otherwise your capacitor additions would not have made a difference.

The radio must have lousy PCB design.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California