Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 3rd 07, 12:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default As Telemon said:"You post about the strangest stuff".

You don't know the half of it.

If it is electronic or even electrical in nature I tend to get
dragooned.

If I wrote about most of the oddities you guys would have me committed
in a rest home.

Up until injured myself on the job, I did a lot of "free lance"
trouble shooting.
Paid very well even if it was almost always weird beyond belief.

A friend is rebuilding a Triumph "Spitfire". While Lucas electric
certainly didn't
invent the short circuit, shoddy design and construction and evil in
general,
they clearly raised it Olympian levels.

Do you know why the Brits drink warm bear?

Lucas made their fridges.

I had never seen a stock car that used two 6 volt batteries in series
to get 12V.
And positive ground...I had managed to avoid dealing with that for 56
years.

My friend is adding a modern alternator and switching to 12V negative
ground.

Would anyone hazard a guess why the starter motor will not have to be
changed?

The wiper and blower motors can have the power leads reversed to get
proper
rotation. But the starter is bonded nicely to the engine frame.

My part of this was trying to explain why he didn't have to replace
the starter
and to design a better wiring loom with enough fuses to offer some
real protection
in the event of a nasty short. Given the switches are stock
Lucas....it stuck me
as a very good idea to add some more fuses.

The radio had died a lifetime ago, kind of sad because it had LW on
it.

So yea, I do post the strangest stuff......I am blessed to live such
an interesting life,

Terry