Old December 5th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default A Beginners Question

I would like to buy a portable shortwave radio with a whip antenna but I've
been holding back because I live in an area that gets mediocre reception on
my Sony reciever's FM tuner from stations 20 miles away; so I'm really
paranoid about buying a portable shortwave radio. My homeowners association
doesn't permit outside antennas. Here are several questions:

1. Can someone recommend a portable shortwave radio for under $200US that
works well.?
2. Can I attach an indoor antenna to improve reception? What brand of
antenna?
3. I've tried several indoor antennas from Radio Shack to improve my FM
reception and none did anything. Can someone recommend a really powerful FM
indoor antenna?

Thanks in advance.
Frank

Old December 5th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Frank103 wrote:

I would like to buy a portable shortwave radio with a whip antenna but
I've been holding back because I live in an area that gets mediocre
reception on my Sony reciever's FM tuner from stations 20 miles away; so
I'm really paranoid about buying a portable shortwave radio. My homeowners
association doesn't permit outside antennas. Here are several questions:

1. Can someone recommend a portable shortwave radio for under $200US that
works well.?

Sony 7600GR. Try,
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=1627439

2. Can I attach an indoor antenna to improve reception? What brand of
antenna?

Yes, for shortwave a 10-20 foot piece of wire can be used. You do not need
to spend a lot of money to get started. If noise is an issue, google
for 'shielded loop antenna'. You can also buy more expensive antennas. Try,
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant.html

3. I've tried several indoor antennas from Radio Shack to improve my FM
reception and none did anything. Can someone recommend a really powerful
FM indoor antenna?

I doubt anyone really can recommend one that works. However, if the stations
of interest are all in the same direction, you could consider mounting a 5
element yagi antenna for FM in your attic. (If your roof is metal this
probably won't work.) Google for 'fm yagi antenna'.

Thanks in advance.
Frank

Old December 5th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Dec 4, 3:36 pm, "Frank103" wrote:
I would like to buy a portable shortwave radio with a whip antenna but I've
been holding back because I live in an area that gets mediocre reception on
my Sony reciever's FM tuner from stations 20 miles away; so I'm really
paranoid about buying a portable shortwave radio. My homeowners association
doesn't permit outside antennas. Here are several questions:

1. Can someone recommend a portable shortwave radio for under $200US that
works well.?
2. Can I attach an indoor antenna to improve reception? What brand of
antenna?
3. I've tried several indoor antennas from Radio Shack to improve my FM
reception and none did anything. Can someone recommend a really powerful FM
indoor antenna?

Thanks in advance.
Frank

You didn't tell us what model Sony receiver you are using, and what
type of antenna it has. That can make a big difference in what I
would recommend. Without knowing what you already have, you might
consider the CCRadio-SW, or the equivalent under another brand name.
I have it and have found the FM sensitivity to be outstanding. It
actually gets outstanding reception of stations that come in poorly on
the CCRadio and other radios I have. It is also excellent on MW and
SW. If an analog tuner is okay with you, I don't believe you will be
able to top the CCRadio-SW.
Old December 5th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yes, for shortwave a 10-20 foot piece of wire can be used. You do not need
to spend a lot of money to get started. If noise is an issue, google
for 'shielded loop antenna'. You can also buy more expensive antennas.
Try,
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant.html

Why would a shielded loop receive less noise than, say, a classic wire turn
loop?

Dale W4OP

Old December 5th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dale Parfitt wrote:

Yes, for shortwave a 10-20 foot piece of wire can be used. You do not
need to spend a lot of money to get started. If noise is an issue, google
for 'shielded loop antenna'. You can also buy more expensive antennas.
Try,
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant.html

Why would a shielded loop receive less noise than, say, a classic wire
turn loop?

Dale W4OP

Dale,

I made no shielded loop vs. unshielded loop comparisons. My intent was to
give the beginner the idea that there are different types of antennas, and
by suggesting google, allow the OP to do some research on his own.

That being said, building a shielded loop implies the OP has shielded wire
which can also be used for the connection between the radio and the
antenna. This is probably better then building an unshielded loop out of
speaker wire and using the same wire to connect the antenna to the radio.

Again, I gave the OP the opportunity to do some research.

On the other hand, I used a shielded loop in a previous home as a random
wire antenna was not an option.

craigm

Old December 5th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Gary, the Sony receiver is model GX700 ES and the antenna is the standard FM
antenna that came with the receiver. It's probably about 10 years old by
now and still sounds good. It picks up about half of the FM stations that
are available in my area - Las Vegas. Here's what I don't understand. There
are 2 stations. 88.9 and 89.7. Both are NPR with HD. The first one is news
and the second one is classical music. I can get the news station fine. But
what I really want is the music station which is nothing but static. Being
in a county with 2 million people one would think that there would be more
than one classical music station but there is only one and all I get from it
is static. A Radio Shack amplified antenna was not help at all.
Frank

Old December 6th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article KCy5j.2781$md.534@trnddc06,
"Dale Parfitt" wrote:

Yes, for shortwave a 10-20 foot piece of wire can be used. You do not need
to spend a lot of money to get started. If noise is an issue, google
for 'shielded loop antenna'. You can also buy more expensive antennas.
Try,
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant.html

Why would a shielded loop receive less noise than, say, a classic wire turn
loop?

Dale W4OP

Shielded loops are less sensitive to local inductive E fields.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 6th 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Dale Parfitt" wrote:

Yes, for shortwave a 10-20 foot piece of wire can be used. You do not
need
to spend a lot of money to get started. If noise is an issue, google
for 'shielded loop antenna'. You can also buy more expensive antennas.
Try,
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant.html

Why would a shielded loop receive less noise than, say, a classic wire
turn
loop?

Dale W4OP

Shielded loops are less sensitive to local inductive E fields.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

I thought there was enough math/data out there that no one any longer
believed this.

From the W8JI page- http://www.w8ji.com/magnetic_receiving_loops.htm
"Folklore claims a small "shielded" loop antenna behaves like a sieve,
sorting "good magnetic signals" from "bad electrical noise".
Nothing is further from the truth! At relatively small distances a small
magnetic loop is more sensitive to electric fields than a small electric
field probe.

W4OP

Old December 6th 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 5, 7:13 am, craigm wrote:
Dale Parfitt wrote:

[...]

Craig M.,

Actually Loop {Balance} Antenna make from Speaker-Wire and
using the same Speaker-Wire {Balanced} as a feed-in-line
is a fairly simple and practical Loop Antenna set-up.

Just like a "Split" Speaker-Wire Dipole Antenna using the
same Speaker-Wire {Balanced} as a feed-in-line is a
fairly simple and practical Dipole Antenna set-up.

Both can be very low cost and effective Shortwave Listening
(SWL) Antennas not requiring a Ground to give relatively
Good Signal Levels and Low Noise.

RadioShack - Recoton (SW-1850) 50Feet 18 AWG Speaker Wire
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2428008

iane ~ RHF
Old December 6th 07, 08:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default A Beginners Question - FM Radio Reception and FM Antennas

wrote in message

[...]

able to top the CCRadio-SW.- Hide quoted text -

Frank 103,

A Beginners Question - FM Radio Reception and FM Antennas

The SR-100 Silver Ribbon Tunable FM Antenna by Magnum Dynalab
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantennas-sr100.htm
Designed to be used In-Doors and You can 'Adjust-It' and
'Rotate-It' for the best Reception of the specific FM Radio
Station that you are trying to hear.

Check-Out the "FM Antennas FAQs" by Magnum Dynalab
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantennas-sr100.htm

C Crane FM Reflect Antenna by C. Crane Co.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/0143.html
* This is a "Passive' FM Antenna that can be mounted
On-the-Wall; or Hidden-behind-Draps; or Under-the-Carpet.

Terk "FM Pro" {FM-50} FM Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/3825.html
* This is an Active {Amplified} FM Antenna that can be
mounted In-Doors; In-the-Attic; or Out-Side Under-the-Eaves.

READ - Improving FM Radio Reception : The Better Antennas To Use
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...420981a553930b

READ - Serious 'portable' FM Radios for DXing the FM Band
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...a23d4d7ab0ba14

READ - Follow-Up - Two Key 'Features' In Any Portable
FM Radio That Are Worth Considering For DXing The FM
Band Are :
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...edc1e05ab1e40a

f m magic - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}