Old December 7th 07, 11:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) It's December 7th...

....pause and remember.

Old December 7th 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message
...pause and remember.

YUP

Old December 7th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : It's December 7th... A Date Which Will Live In Infamy - TheAttack on Pearl Harbor by Imperial Japan

On Dec 7, 3:21 am, dxAce wrote:
- ...pause and remember.

December 7th, 1941 - A Date Which Will Live In Infamy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infamy_Speech

The Attack on Pearl Harbor by Imperial Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...nes_view. jpg

remember - all those who endured ww2 and
never forget their hardships and sacrifices ~ RHF
Old December 8th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bart Bailey"

You probably have better WWII memories than I.
To me it meant when the music stopped playing and the man started
talking, I had to either get quiet or go outside, preferably both.
Back then in rural North Mississippi we didn't have commercial
electricity and only had a battery operated radio for news.
My mother, grandmother, and grandfather would turn it on around four
thirty or so to warm up the tubes and stabilize the tuning, during which
time there would be big band music on whatever station it was out of
Memphis, then when the news they all awaited came on at five, it was
time for a noisy two year old to get scarce so they could maybe hear
some glimmer of hope my father and uncles overseas would be coming home
soon.

Bart, I grew up in Norfolk Va. I just remember the "wardens" coming down the
street when they had "Test Air Raids" to be sure the lights were off or
that the shades covered the windows.

My father was on a ship in the Pacific (engine room). He had three ships
short out from under him in one day.

Burr

Old December 8th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bart Bailey" wrote in message
In posted on Sat, 8 Dec 2007
14:57:45 +0800, Burr wrote: Begin

I just remember the "wardens" coming down the
street when they had "Test Air Raids" to be sure the lights were off or
that the shades covered the windows.

We had those 'blackout' drills during the 50s cold war era and I was an
older kid in Jackson MS. Had to put blankets over the windows or sit
around in the dark telling ghost stories like at summer camp. Almost as
much fun as riding our bicycles in the fog behind the mosquito trucks.

RE BLACKOUTS WWII
In early 1942 German submarines opened an offensive, code named Operation
Drumbeat, against the virtually undefended Allied shipping lanes along the
east coast.
Before the carnage was over, nearly 400 ships had been sunk, and thousands
of lives lost. Dozens of ships were torpedoed just off Florida's Atlantic
coast, and others in the Gulf of Mexico. German submarine skippers used the
light of coastal cities to silhouette their targets. Oil, debris, and dead
bodies were mixed with the driftwood, seashells, and tourists along
Florida's Atlantic Coast during that bloody first half of 1942.

Cities wer told to go on blackout status. Many ignored the warning until
bodies washed up on the Florida shores.

http://www.floridamemory.com/OnlineC...II/history.cfm

Lamont

MediaLine Radio: Current edition (17 December - 30 December 2005) [email protected] Shortwave 0 December 17th 05 03:19 PM
December 1958 QST Article K8NDB Boatanchors 1 February 14th 05 06:14 PM
December 7th Burr Shortwave 25 December 9th 04 07:34 AM
2nd generation DRM receiver due out in December byrnefm Shortwave 1 November 5th 03 07:11 PM
2nd generation DRM receiver due out in December byrnefm Shortwave 0 November 5th 03 08:17 AM