Old December 14th 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Future Radio - terrestrial radio is dying, HD Radio is dead!

Future Radio

By Jerry Del Colliano

There is increasing evidence that using your cell phone can cause
brain tumors.

In a British study some scientists say there is a chance that talking
on a mobile phone for as little as 10 minutes could trigger changes in
the brain that are associated with cancer.

And a new Israeli study says regular use of mobile telephones
increases the risk of developing tumors with certain gland growths
nearly 50 percent higher for mobile phone user more than 22 hours a
month.

Of course, rumors about cell phones and cancer risk have been
circulating for many years but apparently the soothing voice of the
cell phone industry has reassured us.

Perhaps not.

Perhaps cell phone usage is addictive and will someday require a
warning similar to the Surgeon General's disclaimer on cigarette
packages.

Our society is addicted to cell phones -- and smart phones such as the
Blackberry or iPhone.

I reported what happened recently when I assigned my USC students a
project to go cold turkey for two days -- they suffered high anxiety
and couldn't wait to connect again to their phones and resume text
messaging.

Simple cell phones are to today what portable radios were in the 60's.
And what smart phone devices will be to tomorrow.

The iPhone has taken consumers' breath away. And as it evolves -- and
other companies compete -- we are going to see the mobile device
become the main delivery system for entertainment in the future.

It may not matter how dangerous it is to a consumer's health or for
that matter to other consumers' well-being. For example: have you
noticed how many young people are text messaging in their cars --
while driving?

A recent informal poll in one of my USC classes showed 100% of the
hands raised when I asked how many of them texted while they drove.
They laughed but reassured that they can multitask. No problem.

It is a problem.

In Phoenix it's a hefty fine if an officer pulls you over on suspicion
of text messaging. I guess cops have nothing else to do out here in
the dessert. My car was totaled two years ago when a young driver ran
a light that had been red for 30 seconds! She readily admitted she was
distracted on her cell phone.

Then CBS President (and now Sirius CEO) Mel Karmazin spoke at one of
my Inside Radio management conferences. Mel said as he often did that
radios helped people drive better (radio usage is not frequently
mentioned as a cause of motorist distraction). Mel's a sly fox, indeed
-- and the consummate salesman. He was saying it's safer to turn on
the radio than talk on the cell phone.

Imagine the strength of a mobile medium that consumers would fight to
keep in their hands -- even risking cancer or accidents.

That's how powerful the mobile phone is becoming -- more addictive
than the transistor radio or Walkman of the past. And while linking
cell phone usage to cancer is an overreaction at this point, it makes
you think. I wouldn't give mine up. I don't know too many people who
would give theirs up, either.

The mobile future is becoming pervasive.

You talk.

You text.

You take and send pictures.

You might email.

You might listen to music or watch a video.

You don't listen to radio.

There's a reason radios are not standard equipment on iPods and
iPhones. Continuous radio is not something that young people listen to
-- they want to pick and choose their programs and they want to have a
say in them. Their shorter attention spans make traditional radio
listening a thing of the past.

Some radio people distracted by how to save their terrestrial
franchises fail to see that putting streaming music on the mobile
phone is not the future of radio broadcasting.

But the real radio of the future is likely to be a podcast delivered
on a docked phone or better yet on the fly with short form programs --
not constant music streams. For music programming this is not possible
right now with so many copyright issues unresolved, but coming soon it
will be. Short attention span radio.

The cell phone is simply a mobile delivery device.

It is not the medium.

The medium is no longer the message.

Great news for content providers including the talented and
experienced people from the radio industry.

Today content is the message. The medium is just a delivery system.

Eduardo - Terrestrial radio is dying, HD Radio is dead!
Old December 15th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Pocket -I B OC'D- Radio - You Are Stuck On IBOC-Anti-Ism - NoCelphone Required !

On Dec 14, 3:27 am, wrote:
[...]

Pocket -I B OC'D- Radio - Clearly Celphones Have 'affected'
Your Brain -cause- You Are Stuck On IBOC-Anti-Ism ~ RHF