Old December 15th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Do Slinky Antennas work?

I currently clip a 50 foot wire to the whip of my Sangean ATS-909 whip. it
works fine most of the time for me. Do the slinky antennas currently
available in ebay work? If so, what is the best way to use one?
Shayne

Old December 15th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Shayne,

I have a cliff dweller 2 slinky dipole for 50ohm match, and have it connected to the Kenwood R1000 and Icom R75, and it works perfectly.

That said I did hassle in one QTH place I rented and it was so noisey it wasn't funny. The noise was from a Caltex petrol station and
Woolworth shopping complex 400 m down the road

Regards
Mark

Location: Canberra Australia
Radio: Icom R75 with DSP options
Antenna: Cliff Dweller 2
Website: http://aussiedrifter.blogspot.com/

Listen Live via USTREAM.TV:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/aussie...wave-listening

Old December 17th 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 15, 2:58 pm, "Shayne" wrote:
-
- I currently clip a 50 foot wire to the whip of my
- Sangean ATS-909 whip.

Hopefully it is Outside and Up-in-the-Air.

- it works fine most of the time for me.

Good to hear.

- Do the slinky antennas currently available in ebay work?

Yes about the same as you 500 Foot Wire Antenna.

- If so, what is the best way to use one?
- Shayne

Outside and Up-in-the-Air and away from the House.

Try a Slinky Dipole Antenna connected to your Radio
via the 1/8" External Antenna Jack.

hope this helps ~ RHF
Old December 17th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Shayne wrote:

I currently clip a 50 foot wire to the whip of my Sangean ATS-909 whip. it
works fine most of the time for me. Do the slinky antennas currently
available in ebay work? If so, what is the best way to use one?
Shayne

I doubt a slinky antenna would "work" better than your 50-ft. wire on
most shortwave bands but the slinky might be more sensitive and/or
directional on certain frequency ranges (bands).
Old December 18th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default The One Slinky Vertical Antenna -for- Simplified Shortwave Listening(SWL)

RHF wrote:

Build -DIY- The One Slinky Vertical Antenna -for-
Simplified Shortwave Listening (SWL)

Use a One Slinky Vertical Antenna Element that is located
as far-away from the House and Man Made Sources of Noise
as possible for your House and Property.
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ180196824523

Note - Requires only one 23 Feet or Higher Mounting-Rigging*
Point for the Top-End of the Vertical Antenna Element.
* Rig with Nylon Mason Line.

Is nylon mason line UV resistant?

Why a 9:1 transformer? The feed point is already at 100 Ohms.

Old December 19th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 18, 8:01 am, David wrote:
RHF wrote:
Build -DIY- The One Slinky Vertical Antenna -for-
Simplified Shortwave Listening (SWL)

Use a One Slinky Vertical Antenna Element that is located
as far-away from the House and Man Made Sources of Noise
as possible for your House and Property.
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ180196824523

Note - Requires only one 23 Feet or Higher Mounting-Rigging*
Point for the Top-End of the Vertical Antenna Element.
* Rig with Nylon Mason Line.

- Is nylon mason line UV resistant?

No but it will work for a few years as a simple
Rigging line used to Hold-Up it's End of a Slinky.

- Why a 9:1 transformer?
- The feed point is already at 100 Ohms.

David - You could experiment with a different Matching
Transformers for this Single Element Vertical Antenna :
1:1 ~ 10 Turns Antenna-Side to 10 Turns Coax-Side
2:1 ~ 14 Turns Antenna-Side to 10 Turns Coax-Side
3:1 ~ 17 Turns Antenna-Side to 10 Turns Coax-Side
* 4:1 ~ 20 Turns Antenna-Side to 10 Turns Coax-Side
6:1 ~ 24 Turns Antenna-Side to 10 Turns Coax-Side
* 9:1 ~ 30 Turns Antenna-Side to 10 Turns Coax-Side
10:1 ~ 32 Turns Antenna-Side to 10 Turns Coax-Side
12:1 ~ 35 Turns Antenna-Side to 10 Turns Coax-Side
16:1 ~ 40 Turns Antenna-Side to 10 Turns Coax-Side

For Shortwave Listeners (SWLs)both the 4:1 for
Dipole 'type' {Balance} Antennas and 9:1 for Long-Wire
type {Un-Balanced} Antennas are good starting points.

Build a 4:1 Balun {Matching Transformer} for 160 to 10 Meters
-by- Clay Wynn
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx.../4_1balun.html

Build a 9:1 Balun {Matching Transformer}
-hosted by- Hard-Core-DX
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx.../9_1balun.html

Matching less Important for Reception
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...ed/balun5.html
-by- John Doty

Matching Is Important - It Gives Better Reception
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...ed/balun6.html
[ Matching Do Give Better Reception ]
-by- Guy Atkins

iane ~ RHF
Old December 20th 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Dec 18, 4:13 pm, RHF wrote:
On Dec 18, 8:01 am, David wrote:

RHF wrote:
Build -DIY- The One Slinky Vertical Antenna -for-
Simplified Shortwave Listening (SWL)

Use a One Slinky Vertical Antenna Element that is located
as far-away from the House and Man Made Sources of Noise
as possible for your House and Property.
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ180196824523

Note - Requires only one 23 Feet or Higher Mounting-Rigging*
Point for the Top-End of the Vertical Antenna Element.
* Rig with Nylon Mason Line.

- - Is nylon mason line UV resistant?
-
- No but it will work for a few years as a simple
- Rigging line used to Hold-Up it's End of a Slinky.

RIGGING : The One Slinky Vertical Antenna
Adding Mechanical Support for the Slinky against the Elements.

1 - Route the Nylon/Poly Mason Line through {down}
the Center of the Slinky Coils.

2 - Tie the Nylon/Poly Mason Line to the Ground Rod*.
* The Ground Rod is where the Matching Transformer is
mounted and the 'Bottom' of the Slinky is attached to
the Matching Transformer.

3 - Stretch-Out the Slinky to 22 Feet; being sure to
keep the Nylon/Poly Mason Line running down the Center
{inside} the Slinky Coils.

4 - Tie-Off the Nylon/Poly Mason Line at 22 Feet to the
'Top' of the Slinky.

5 - The remainder of the Nylon/Poly Mason Line is then
used to Rig the Slinky from what ever 22 Foot or Higher
support you have to Rig-it-to.

? WHY ? Strectch-Out the Slinky to 22 Feet ?
* The Original {Standard} Slinky Stretches-Out to an
'Optimum' Length of 21~23 Feet. So this One Slinky Antenna
need only be about 22 Feet long between the Low-End
near the Ground and it's High-End up in the Air.
* Original {Standard} Slinky is made-up of 100 Turns
(Coils) of Steel Wire that is 2 3/4" (2.75") in Diameter.
* The Optimum Spacing for an Inductor is when the Space
between the Coils is equal to the Diameter of the Coils.
So... 2.75" x 100 = 275 Inches = 22 Feet 11 Inches
-Note- Some Count the Slinky's Coils and only come up
with about 90 Coils - So Adjust your Math accordingly.

NOTE - If you are in a Bad Weather Area you may wish to
use Camouflage Nylon Parachute Cord or even 3/16" Black
Poly Rope as your Rigging Line with the Slinky.

iane ~ RHF