RadioBanter

-   -   shortwave radio attenas and radio shack (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/129095-re-shortwave-radio-attenas-radio-shack.html)

David Mills January 3rd 08 04:03 PM

shortwave radio attenas and radio shack

I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why not
sell good external antennas? perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one might
hope!

David

Art Harris January 3rd 08 04:15 PM

David Mills wrote:
I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why not
sell good external antennas? perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one might
hope!

Well, the best external shortwave antennas are pretty simple and made
of ordinary wire. Try a 50 to 100 foot length of 14 gauge stranded
wire. Home Depot might be a better option.

http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/Shortwave/

Art Harris N2AH

Radioguy January 3rd 08 07:42 PM

On Jan 3, 11:03*am, "David Mills" wrote:
I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why not
sell good external antennas?

Possibly because their shortwave radios come with antennas already
built in.

perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one might
hope!

David

Unless you want to continue getting the same answer over and over it
is not a good idea to continue asking the same question over the next
several years. Have you browsed the paper catalog or their website?

Their portable antennna-on-a-reel was a pretty good deal. Beyond that
their offerings of HF antennas was pretty limited as I remember.

But as Art notes, a perfectly good shortwave antenna can be made for
next to nothing.

[email protected][_2_] January 3rd 08 08:56 PM

shortwave radio attenas and radio shack

On Jan 3, 11:03 am, "David Mills" wrote:
I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why not
sell good external antennas? perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one might
hope!

David

Try Universal radio

http://www.universal-radio.com/

Scott Nelson January 4th 08 02:59 AM

shortwave radio attenas and radio shack

Shortwave is dying. Why would any store want to carry what's dead?
Only the occasional pocket protector guy is looking for shortwave antennas.

Streaming audio from the international broadcasters is where it's at.
Come on get into the 21st century -- computers, wi-fi, gps. You are
looking for Dixie cups and string.

On 2008-01-03 11:03:13 -0500, "David Mills" said:

I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why not
sell good external antennas? perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one
might
hope!

David

Radio Shack hires idiots. Go elsewhere, the net has lots of shortwave
stuff.

RHF January 4th 08 03:17 AM

On Jan 3, 8:03*am, "David Mills" wrote:
I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why not
sell good external antennas? perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one might
hope!

David

DM - You Win Todays "Light Bulb Award" for this Bright-Idea :
There is No Longer any 'Radio' in _ _ _ _ _Shack} ~ RHF

RHF January 4th 08 03:36 AM

Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Antennas and RadioShack.Com - WhatAbout It ?

On Jan 3, 12:56*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 3, 11:03 am, "David Mills" wrote:

I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why not
sell good external antennas? perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one might
hope!

David

-
- Try Universal radio
-
- http://www.universal-radio.com/
-

Yes - Universal-Radio.Com is a good plase to start your Quest
for a Good Ready-Made Shortwave Listening (SWL Antenna.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant.html

Check-Out these three Shortwave Listening (SWL Antennas :

Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0799.html

Antenna Supermarket Eavesdropper Sloper Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0013.html

Par Electronics End-Fed Dipole Shortwave Listener (EF-SWL) Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
Rig it as an Inverted "L" Antenna 15 Feet Vertical-Up-Leg
with a 30 Feet Horizontal-Out-Arm

Remember - Besides an Antenna you also need a RadioShack
Ground and that is usually best done with an 8 Foot Ground
Rod driven directly into the earthen ground soil; with a ground
wire to your radio shack.

enjoy listening to your shortwave radio -and- remember to . . .
keep your antenna-up - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}

Scott Nelson January 4th 08 01:11 PM

shortwave radio attenas and radio shack

It always amuses me when someone can't come up with anything intelligent
to say they always use the old "go post someplace else" routine. Are
you the kid who always said, "I'm taking my toys and going home"?

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Scott Nelson wrote:

No, I just know a dead horse when I see it.

Technology evolves. Radio was a great technology. WAS. 8-track tapes
were better than sliced bread back in the 60s and 70s. Time marches on.

I love listening to international broadcasters. I have a Wi-Fi system
setup and it streams to my stereo. The BBC never sounded so good. I
can easily record the shows digitally if I like and transfer them to an
Ipod or other MP3 player.

Look at the progress that's been made in the last 5 years with computer
technology. It won't be long and handheld wifi devices will be every
where and cars will be equipped with internet radios.

You can string out all the longwire you want. More power to you. The
only problem is that there won't be anything to listen to.

How wonderful. Go post someplace else.

Scott Nelson January 4th 08 01:13 PM

shortwave radio attenas and radio shack

Wow. Judging by your, and I use the term lightly, "intelligent" remarks
I must have hit a nerve. When people have no argument, they attack the
person instead of the issue. You just proved my point.

Chill out and go listen to the static.

Telamon wrote:
In article ,

On 2008-01-03 11:03:13 -0500, "David Mills" said:

I have been to radio shack several times over the years inquiring about
antennas for short wave radios. I always get a rather blank response and
they never seem to have anything. They sell shortwave radios...so why not
sell good external antennas? perhaps Radio Shack isn't as good as one
might
hope!

Radio Shack hires idiots. Go elsewhere, the net has lots of shortwave
stuff.

Shortwave is dying. Why would any store want to carry what's dead?

Same reason a moron would post this drivel to rec.radio.shortwave

Only the occasional pocket protector guy is looking for shortwave antennas.

And you are a highly paid supermarket stock boy.

Streaming audio from the international broadcasters is where it's at.
Come on get into the 21st century -- computers, wi-fi, gps. You are
looking for Dixie cups and string.

Yeah, you go key-clown. Why not get together with David and take a few a
few hits off the pipe. It will all be better then.

Barry in Wyoming January 4th 08 01:20 PM

shortwave radio attenas and radio shack

I have been using a Par EF-SWL for about two years for my "bedroom
listening post." It is not as good as my roof top G5RV, especially in
the lower MW area, but it is just about as good on 1.7 to 30 MHz. It
is easy to string up and rugged. And Dale Parfitt gives great
customer service!

I've even used it for a little bit of low power transmitting.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3707?page=2

Barry
WT7T