Old January 4th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default RadioShack Pro-84 Scanner Help - Many Scanner Radio Problems Can Be"Fixed" With A Better Scanner Antenna

On Jan 3, 8:24 am, win2tanker wrote:
- While try to scan the CB bands with mi RadioShack Pro-84
- Scanner it sometimes locks up on the CB cannels when there
- is no signal on there.
-
- I adjusted the squelch and nothing happens but when i touch
- the anntena (the one that came with the handheld scanner)
- the interference goes away. This tends to happen more often
- when I use the backlight. I have just recenly got the scanner.
- Please reply with possible causes and solutions.
- Thx

Win2Tanker,

RadioShack PRO-84 Scanner Radio - 200 Channels
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2180625
This is a Small Handheld Scanner with a relatively short
Antenna connected to the Radio via a BNC Connector.

MOST LIKELY - When the Scanner's Backlight is used :
The Scanner uses more Power; and this Reduces the RF
Gain of the Scanner; resulting in Less RF Signal being
heard along; with more internal Noise from the Radio.

Usually the simple Answer is a Bigger Antenna.

RadioShack Pro-84 Scanner Help :
Many Scanner Radio Problems can be "Fixed"
with a Better Scanner Antenna

Here are some Scanner Antenna 'Options' :

1 - For Mobility try a "Telescopic Handheld Scanner Antenna"
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ150199946066
This Antenna has the BNC fitting on the end and is 23 Inches
from Tip-to-Bottom when fully Extended

2.a - For Fixed Locations try "Snoop" Scanner Antenna
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ160194979322
Covers all Scanner Frequencies in the 30 MHz to 1200 MHz range.
Remote Helix Antenna Element is in an 8 Inch Long PVC Pipe
with an 8-Foot Coax Cable and BNC Connector.

2.b Want something Bigger then try the 24" Black Big Daddy
"Snoop" Scanner Antenna
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ270198194062

3 - Scanner Window Mount Antenna mounts with Suction Cups
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ370009744502
This Antenna is made out of 8-Feet of Coax Cable with an
18 Inch exposted Tip Antenna Element with a BNC Connector.
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ160194659551
Workman SC-1 Antenna

4 - The 48 Inch Grove "Flex-Tenna" Model VU # ANT46
can be connected to the Scanner with an F-to-BNC Adapter
with the Scanner in your Pocket and the Antenna under you
Clothing. - http://www.grove-ent.com/grovevu.html

5 - For the Car try a Magnet mount Mini-Mobile Wide-Band
Scanner Antenna with a BNC Connector.
http://item.express.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ270199921254
http://www.scannerworld.com/content/...t/model/MM3ANT

6 - Check-Out Scanner World -USA-
SWUSA - http://www.scannerworld.com/

7 - Scanner Antennas at Grove Enterprises
http://www.grove-ent.com/scannerantennas.html

8 - Scanner Antennas at Universal-Radio
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants.html

9 - RadioShack Scanner Antennas and Accessories
http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...2075.2 032078

enjoy listening to your scanner -and- remember to . . .
keep your antenna-up - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
Old January 4th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RadioShack PRO-84 Scanner Radio - 200 Channelshttp://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2180625

Scanner Antenna *with a BNC Connector.http://item.express.ebay.com/_W0QQit...t/model/MM3ANT

9 - RadioShack Scanner Antennas and Accessorieshttp://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032098&cp=2032...

enjoy listening to your scanner -and- remember to . . .
keep your antenna-up - iane ~ RHF * {pomkia}
*.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas Group =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
The SWL Antenna Discussion Group =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna HELP =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna NEWS =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna INFO =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
* * * All Are Welcome : Including ELMERS and 'Want-to-be-Elmers'
plus plain old "Mister-Know-It-Alls"; and even those Newbees with
"I Know This Is A Really Dumb Question - But _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ "
*.
Shortwave Radio Listener QSL Reports News & Info Grouphttp://groups.google..com/group/shortwave-listener-qsl-reports
Read & Post Your Shortwave Listener (SWL) Reception Reports
SWL-QSL-REPORTS =http://tinyurl.com/3awlyr
*.
The Shortwave Listener's Blessing :
SWL BLESSING =http://tinyurl.com/s2bjm
May You Never Tire of Listening to the Radio and Always
have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/9233
*.
Tous Sont Bienvenus ! - - - Groupe par Radio
d'auditeur d'onde courte pour des Antennes de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
Alle Sind Willkommen ! - - - Shortwave Radiozuhörer
Gruppe für SWL Antennenhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
Tutti Sono Benvenuti ! - - - Gruppo Radiofonico
dell'ascoltatore di onda corta per le Antenne di SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
Todos São Bem-vindos ! - - - Grupo de Rádio
do ouvinte do Shortwave para Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
¡Todos Son Agradables! - - - Grupo de Radio del oyente
de la onda corta para las Antenas de SWLhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
= = = = Plain Old American-English Translation = = = =
All are Welcome - - - To Join the Shortwave Listeners
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO !http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortwave-SWL-Antenna/
*.
*|
*|
*|
/ \
.......!.......

Thank you for your help. The thing is that I have a large old CB
antenna(has 2 large pieces of copper wire extenting a few feet in
opposite directions). I sometimes have it connected to and for some
reason the interference happens more often with that antenna than when
I use the small antenna that came with the unit. Also the
interference tends to go away when I turn the backlight on when using
the old CB antenna. LOL maybe my scanner is just cursed.
Old January 5th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Scanner Antenna *with a BNC Connector.http://item.express.ebay.com/_W0QQit...://www.scanner...

[...]

RadioShack Pro-84 Scanner - Heal Thy Self ! ) ~ RHF
Old January 5th 08, 11:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 3, 8:29*pm, RHF wrote:

[...]

W2T,

The large old CB Antenna just may be 'too big' for this
small Handheld Scanner.

-IF- Your primary Interest is in the hearing the CB Band :
Then Buy a CB Radio and use a CB Antenna to do so.

Citizens' Band (CB) Radio Band -Info-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens'_band_radio

A simple Snake Antenna for the CB Band for Scanners
made from a single piece of Coax Cableshould work with
out overloading the Scanner.

First buy a 20~25 Foot long piece of Coax Cable
with BNC Connectors on both ends.

CB Band {Amateur} Vertical Antenna Calculator
http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennaevcalc.html

Snake Antenna - Antenna Construction Steps :
* Measure-out from one of the Ends of the Coax Cable
19 Feet 6 Inches and 'cut' the Coax into two pieces.
* Take the 19 Feet 6 Inch piece of Coax Cable and then
Measure-out form the BNC Connector End 8 Feet 8.25 Inches
and carefully 'cut' around the Outer-Cover of the Coax,
being careful not to cut into the Inner Insulator.
* On the BNC Connector side of this 8 Feet 8.25 Inches
'cut' {very near to the 'cut'} place a Clamp-On Ferrite Bead
and place a Plastic Wire Tie on the Coax on each side of it
to hold-it-in-place.
* Make a Long 'cut' down the remain section of the Coax
away from the BNC Connector.
* Remove the Outer-Cover of the Coax from this section.
* Carefully 'snip' the Individual Wires of the Coax Shield
at the 8 Feet 8.25 Inches 'cut'.
* Remove the Coax Shield from this Section.
* Fold-over 1.5 Inches of the End-Tip of the Inner Insulation
back on to itself froming an Eye-Loop. Secure with Three
Plastic Wire Ties leaving a Half-Inch Eye-Loop for Rigging.
* Attach a Nylon-Poly Rigging Rope to the Eye-Loop.

You now have built your own End-Fed "Snake" Dipole Antenna
for the CB Bands to use with your Scanner.

NOTE - If you started out with a 25 Foot piece of Coax with
BNC connectors on both Ends : You have a 5 Foot 6 Inch
piece of Coax left over to make a shorter A2L Antenna
to use with your Scanner.
Note - A2L = Almost-A-Loop -because- it is not electrically
connected as a Loop -but- is shaped like a Loop -hence-
'Almost' A Loop.

A2L Antenna - Antenna Construction Steps :
* Measure-out from the BNC Connector of the Coax Cable
Two Feet (2') and carefully 'cut' around the Outer-Cover of
the Coax, being careful not to cut into the Inner Insulator.
* On the BNC Connector side of this 2 Foot 'cut' {very near to
the 'cut'} place a Clamp-On Ferrite Bead and place a Plastic
Wire Tie on the Coax on each side of it to hold-it-in-place.
* Make a Long 'cut' down the remain section of the Coax
away from the BNC Connector.
* Remove the Outer-Cover of the Coax from this section.
* Carefully 'snip' the Individual Wires of the Coax Shield
at the 2 Feet 'cut'.
* Remove the Coax Shield from this Section.
* Take the Inner Insulation and from a Single-Turn Loop
with it with 4 Inches overlapping to create a One-Foot
Diameter A2L Loop. Secure this Overlap with three
Plastic Wire Ties evenly spaced.
* Bend the Loop and Coax so that the Coax extends down
from the Loop. {Looks like an outline of a Lolliipop}
http://www.resene.co.nz/kids/stencil...lollipop_l.jpg

Place the A2L Antenna Element next to a Window; on a
Desk-Top; hang it on a Wall; or Wear-It while walking around.

FWIW - This One-Foot Diameter A2L Loop Antenna picks-up
the 800~900 MHz Frequencies fairly well.

iane ~ RHF
Old January 6th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jan 3, 8:29*pm, RHF wrote:

[...]

have Strong Signals and Noise Free Reception ~ RHF {ibid}http://groups..yahoo.com/group/Short...a/message/9233
*.
[...]

Here is another simple CB Radio Antenna to use with a Scanner
-or- for that matter a CB Radio or any other Radio used primarily
to Monitor the CB Radio Band. Works for 10 Meters too.

Workman BS-1 Dipole Antenna -cut- for the CB Radio Band.
Frequency Coverage : 26.065 MHz to 27.085 MHz

This is a basic Dipole Antenna with 9-Feet per side comes with
a Center Connector and Coax Cable feed-in-line. Can be used
Indoors in a Corner of a Room with the Arms along two Adjacent
Walls or Outside under the Eaves of the House.

INDOOR Base ANTENNA for CB Radio - Wire Dipole - New
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ160194837706

The Coax Cable has PL-259 Plugs on the Ends so a
SO-239 Jack to BNC Jack type of Adapter is required.

iane ~ RHF

Old January 6th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Usually the simple Answer is a Bigger Antenna.

Got a soldierless BNC Connector from Rat Shack;

hooked 5 feet of wire to it

put a small suction cup on the window &

Hooked it all up..

cost : $ 5:00