Old January 10th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default A truly remarkable portable

I have owned my Redsun RP2100 for eighteen months now and it continues
work superbly. Everything keeps going right! I have just returned from
an
800 mile trip inland to Johannesburg, staying overnight on farms along
the
way there and back.

Reception on MW band was superb off only the internal ferrite rod:
1521 Saudi Arabia, 1323 BBC Cyprus, 1557 Nice, France all about 4,500
miles/7,000 kilometers away.
Then also 1566 AIR Nagpur, 1377 CNRI China and 1458 Comores
But the big juicy cherry was getting 1377 Lille, France and 1395 "Big
L"
Holland some 5,500 miles/9,000 kilometers away. Truly amazing for a
portable
with only the internal ferrite rod. These catches are normally only
associated with beverage antenna's, high end communications receivers
and
from a favourable DX site. HF SW reception left nothing to be desired
either
and FM from the distant stations was also amazing. A very remarkable
portable for the modest $100 price.

I have also own a GE SRIII but it;s performance comes nowhere near
the
RP2100.

On the second night out, I unpacked the Redsun for a nights DXing and
to my
horror and panic it was totally dead. I checked the batteries and they
were
good and nearly new, pushed the reset button, but nothing at all =
dead!!!
Now I was completely dumbfounded but had a swig of beer and a smoke
and
tried to relax and think this through. Could the bumpy roads have
caused it
to go dead? I didn't think so. More checking and I finally stumbled on
the
problem. Whilst packing and unpacking the battery compartment switch
for "D"
batteries OR "AA" batteries had become switched to AA. I switched it
back to
D and suddenly the radio came to life again = huge relief!!

So if you want a great portable at a modest price, some dealers are
offering
great deals. Go buy one, you won't be disappointed with this fine
radio,
wonderful reception and good audio.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx