Old February 7th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Ping Drifter AOR-3030 repair

I received an e-mail from Drifter this morning, asking for help with his
AOR-3030. I don't mind helping folks out, but if you are there, Drifter, and
this goes for anybody else that needs technical assistance, please don't use
some sort of spam blocking e-mail.
I got an e-mail form some fellow a couple of days ago, that was looking for
a service manual for a Grundig Satellit 3400. I sent him the manual, and of
course, the "undeliverable mail notification" was sent back to me. The only
one who loses out is the person needing the assistance.
Thanks for reading my rant!

Pete

Old February 8th 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Pete KE9OA wrote:
I received an e-mail from Drifter this morning, asking for help with his
AOR-3030. I don't mind helping folks out, but if you are there, Drifter, and
this goes for anybody else that needs technical assistance, please don't use
some sort of spam blocking e-mail.
I got an e-mail form some fellow a couple of days ago, that was looking for
a service manual for a Grundig Satellit 3400. I sent him the manual, and of
course, the "undeliverable mail notification" was sent back to me. The only
one who loses out is the person needing the assistance.
Thanks for reading my rant!

Pete

Yo Pete. could be my isp bounced the email. sorry. i haven't heard
from Richard at AOR yet. was hoping you might have the road map.
how bout -driftermick at yahoo dot com- if you have it. or a url.
thanks Pete.

Drifter...
Old February 8th 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Pete KE9OA wrote:
I received an e-mail from Drifter this morning, asking for help with his
AOR-3030. I don't mind helping folks out, but if you are there, Drifter, and
this goes for anybody else that needs technical assistance, please don't use
some sort of spam blocking e-mail.
I got an e-mail form some fellow a couple of days ago, that was looking for
a service manual for a Grundig Satellit 3400. I sent him the manual, and of
course, the "undeliverable mail notification" was sent back to me. The only
one who loses out is the person needing the assistance.
Thanks for reading my rant!

Pete

Try using YouSendIt. You can get a free account, with 200Mb limit.
Upload, the far end receives a link. They can download at their discretion.

No ISP limits to deal with.

Old February 8th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

That's ok..............it is good that we hooked up. Now, about that
3030.............it sounds like one of the bandswitching diodes for the MW
range has blown. This is the reason that MW reception is dead. If you remove
the cover from the radio and have the front panel facing you, the
preselector cicuits will be on the left hand side of the top board.
The MW section will be the second filter section from the front panel of the
radio. This section is easily identified, since there are not tuned
circuits.....you will see three resistors that make up the 10dB attenuator
that is used instead of a filter section. Why AOR chose this silly
implementation on the MW band escapes me. I replaced this attenuator network
with a MW bandpass filter of my own design, and the radio had no overload
problems. While I was at it, I replaced all of the switching diodes in the
front end with 1N5767 PIN diodes. It worked pretty well after these mods.
Feel free to shout me down directly from that other e-mail address if you
have any questions!

Old February 9th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

All right. thanks Pete. should be able to check this over the weekend.
easiest for me to stay with a direct replacement diode for now. but,
i will scare up some pin diodes and do your update as time lets me.

Thanks again.
Drifter...

Old February 9th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I think they are using a Japanese equivalent to a 1N4148. Good luck!

Pete

Pete KE9OA wrote:
[...]

Aussie Drifter and group Gwyneð Bennetdottir Shortwave 2 January 4th 08 09:36 PM
AOR 3030 MODS [email protected] Shortwave 0 November 14th 07 03:10 PM
AOR 3030 [email protected] Shortwave 10 December 31st 04 02:55 AM
AOR 3030 Synch Bill Shortwave 0 October 27th 04 01:57 AM
AOR 3030 schematic sailor105 Shortwave 0 October 6th 04 12:23 PM