Old February 18th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Finding pirates

Finally found a good place in my abode where I'm getting good signal,
and tuned in all the heavy hitters last night, including Radio China,
Radio Taiwan and Radio Havana--and of course Radio Nederlands.

And now that I'm feeling flush with success, I'm curious about finding
pirate stations. I've read a fair amount about them in books, but I
haven't seen anything that explains exactly how to find these stations
(actually, I want to read Andy Yoder's book on pirate radio, but my
library does not loan out its copy ). I know sometimes they
broadcast their frequencies on WWV, but I haven't heard anything
yet.

Are there some good pirate signals out there right now?
Old February 19th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 18, 5:58 pm, "Brian Hill" wrote:
"cadillac_eldorado" wrote in message

Finally found a good place in my abode where I'm getting good signal,
and tuned in all the heavy hitters last night, including Radio China,
Radio Taiwan and Radio Havana--and of course Radio Nederlands.

And now that I'm feeling flush with success, I'm curious about finding
pirate stations. I've read a fair amount about them in books, but I
haven't seen anything that explains exactly how to find these stations
(actually, I want to read Andy Yoder's book on pirate radio, but my
library does not loan out its copy ). I know sometimes they
broadcast their frequencies on WWV, but I haven't heard anything
yet.

http://www.frn.net/

Are there some good pirate signals out there right now?

Ah, thanks for the link--that should really help!
Old February 19th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 18, 3:02 pm, Billy Burpelson wrote:

Well, we have no way of knowing what you read, but, although -anything-
is possible, it seems unlikely for the following two reasons.

First, why would they (the pirates) transmit on a frequency that is
already occupied by multi-kilowatt transmitters 24/7 (WWV)?

Finally, the government takes a dim view of pirates already; why would
the pirates -really- try to incur the wrath of the government by jamming
a government service?

But again, anything is possible, I suppose...

What you say is certainly logical. I'm sure I just imagined this,
really--I've read a lot of different things lately and probably just
got mixed up.
Old February 19th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

cadillac_eldorado wrote:
Finally found a good place in my abode where I'm getting good signal,
and tuned in all the heavy hitters last night, including Radio China,
Radio Taiwan and Radio Havana--and of course Radio Nederlands.

And now that I'm feeling flush with success, I'm curious about finding
pirate stations. I've read a fair amount about them in books, but I
haven't seen anything that explains exactly how to find these stations
(actually, I want to read Andy Yoder's book on pirate radio, but my
library does not loan out its copy ). I know sometimes they
broadcast their frequencies on WWV, but I haven't heard anything
yet.

Are there some good pirate signals out there right now?

Are you with the FCC?
Old February 19th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"cadillac_eldorado" wrote in message

What you say is certainly logical. I'm sure I just imagined this,
really--I've read a lot of different things lately and probably just
got mixed up.

A few years ago, there were reports of somebody who would periodically shout
"Hola!Hola!Hola!" over one of the WWV frequencies. I never heard Hola Man
but I never tried searching him out, either.

And, if Hola Man was transmitting outside the US, he didn't have to worry
about the FCC.

Frank Dresser

Old February 19th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Billy Burpelson wrote:
cadillac_eldorado wrote:

I know sometimes they
broadcast their frequencies on WWV
Pirates broadcasting on WWV?

Sorry, should have been more clear--they're not broadcasting *on* WWV,
but *over* WWV's frequency.

Is that not true? I think I read that somewhere, but perhaps I just
imagined that.

Well, we have no way of knowing what you read, but, although -anything-
is possible, it seems unlikely for the following two reasons.

First, why would they (the pirates) transmit on a frequency that is
already occupied by multi-kilowatt transmitters 24/7 (WWV)?

Finally, the government takes a dim view of pirates already; why would
the pirates -really- try to incur the wrath of the government by jamming
a government service?

But again, anything is possible, I suppose...

Well, if I wanted to annoy said government, and had some funny ideas
about how to go about doing that, and was pretty sure I wouldn't be
caught in this lifetime, I might do something like this.
--
clvrmnky

Direct replies to this address will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap"
with my name to contact me directly.
Old February 20th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 19, 5:30 am, dave wrote:
cadillac_eldorado wrote:
Finally found a good place in my abode where I'm getting good signal,
and tuned in all the heavy hitters last night, including Radio China,
Radio Taiwan and Radio Havana--and of course Radio Nederlands.

And now that I'm feeling flush with success, I'm curious about finding
pirate stations. I've read a fair amount about them in books, but I
haven't seen anything that explains exactly how to find these stations
(actually, I want to read Andy Yoder's book on pirate radio, but my
library does not loan out its copy ). I know sometimes they
broadcast their frequencies on WWV, but I haven't heard anything
yet.

Are there some good pirate signals out there right now?

Are you with the FCC?

Yes. It's a new tactic.
Old February 20th 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

-
- And, if Hola Man was transmitting outside the US,
- he didn't have to worry about the FCC.
-
- Frank Dresser
-

FD,

Maybe it was a new International Welcoming Service of WWV
to Help people crossing the Southern US Border Illegaly )
S5-1329 - http://tf.nist.gov/survey/S5c.htm

~ RHF
Old February 20th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Drifter" wrote in message

Frank, if i remember, that was at 15mg. there were a few post on a few
of pirate web sites on this a few years back. also, when the gov did the
weather and wave thing a few years ago, i remember a few people freaked.
i believe that was 10mg. and that didn't last long either. so, as the
saying goes, when it sounds a little different, just blame a pirate.

GOOD DX!
Drifter...

Or you could blame radio. On a couple of occasions, I've heard what sounds
like chatter under WWV. Maybe it was an image or crossmod or something like
that. Maybe it was a transmitter spur. It's always been unintelligible and
I couldn't be sure if it was English or not.

I suppose the WWV frequencies might be usable in parts of the world where
time station signals are weak, but there must be hundreds of better
frequencies.

Frank Dresser

Old February 20th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
msg msg is offline

Frank Dresser wrote:

On a couple of occasions, I've heard what sounds
like chatter under WWV.

snip

Last summer, here in No. MN, often WWVH would overlay WWV on
10 MHz; the WWVH time announcements precede those on WWV and
use a female voice, but propagation and other announcements
are often just recorded voices (male and female) that can
sound like chatter.

Was you chatter at all intelligible?

Michael

UK pirates Mike Terry Info 0 July 22nd 07 03:41 AM
The SW pirates group biggest sw pirates email resourse on the web, now 800 ALFALIMA.NET Shortwave 0 February 5th 05 08:55 PM
Two pirates on now Brian Shortwave 2 April 11th 04 02:43 AM
Pirates 6.925 and 6.950 Pirate Bill Shortwave 2 February 24th 04 01:09 AM
Pirates 6.925 KB Shortwave 0 January 25th 04 12:13 AM