Old February 23rd 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sean Hannity's warning for music-oriented Radio

"Sean Hannity's warning for music-oriented Radio: Music radio is going
to be in trouble."

So said radio talker and Fox News host Sean Hannity this week at
Arbitron's consultant fly-in.

"In five years when every car has an iPod connection and you can
listen to anything you want, what is music radio going to do?"

I have long argued (and many others have likewise taken up the cause)
that what's between the records becomes more, not less, important as
our sound-alike competition multiplies and new channels of
distribution make their way into home, work, and car - populated by
content that is not owned, produced, sold, licensed, or monetized by
anyone in the radio industry.

Sean is dead right on this point.

Within five years we'll see diminishing ratings on sound-alike music-
oriented FM's. And radio will enter a new age of non-music
programming.

Not necessarily talk. But not particularly music.

The spoils will go to those who create the experiments now. While it's
fine for our industry to reward the successes of those who do the
obvious and succeed, shouldn't we also reward those who take the kinds
of chances that are necessary for the long-term vitality of radio?

The AM radio style of political talk is only one facet of what will
fast become a burgeoning trend towards non-music.

An aside...

I had never seen Sean in the flesh before and I found him fascinating.
Primarily because of his pen. On Fox News, that pen never leaves his
right hand. You can see him waving it madly - as if it's the trigger
for the Liberal ejector seat. And here he was, holding that pen (the
same one?) throughout his entire presentation at Arbitron - never
writing a word. I watched him stroll out, sure that he'd leave the pen
behind since walking is rarely improved by note-taking. But would you
believe that he not only traveled with pen in hand - he even shook
hands with it! He was giving pen-shakes! Who does that!? Please don't
sign me when you greet me, okay?

Sean, put....the pen....down.

Just an aside.

http://www.hear2.com/2007/12/sean-hannitys-w.html

Listen-up, Eduardo, you farce!

Old February 23rd 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 23, 2:32�pm, dave wrote:
IBOCcrock wrote:

The spoils will go to those who create the experiments now. While it's
fine for our industry to reward the successes of those who do the
obvious and succeed, shouldn't we also reward those who take the kinds
of chances that are necessary for the long-term vitality of radio?- Hide quoted text -

Doesn't change the facts, and that Eduardo is full-of-crap.
Old February 23rd 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 23, 12:34 pm, IBOCcrock wrote:
[...]

I don't think Eddie wants to acknowledge this type of thing. Reality
isn't something he's interested in.
By the way IBOCcrock, I think your HD radio posts are great. I read
every one of them to stay informed abut the status of HD radio. Keep
them up!

jw