Old February 25th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WYSL's Bob Savage on AM-HD

So a Salt Lake AM-FM has flipped the order in which it does its legal
TOH breaks from AM-FM to FM-AM and that's supposed to make the case,
that the only thing which will "save" AM is IBOC? Pardon me, but B-F-
D. Neither this anecdote nor all the pedantic Arbitron and BIA number-
spinning anyone can concoct will obscure the obvious truth: that if
anything "is on life support" with no prospects but "certain death the
instant the ventilator is switched off," it's IBOC, not AM radio.

Hello? The entire AM IBOC universe consists of 241 US AM stations,
all of which are owned by iBiquity investors with the exception of
about two dozen, and only a third of which are operating HD at night -
that's less than TWO PERCENT of AM stations on the air. The
implementation trend is gradually downward. There is NO growth in HD-
AM on the broadcasting side. Accounts of unacceptable adjacent
channel skywave interference continue to accumulate. iBiquity has
thrown up its hands about the Citadel, Cox and CCU problems, saying
there will be no further development of HD-AM beyond the current
"state" of the "art." When it comes to HD-AM, it is what it is, and
that's the unsatisfying end of the story. NOBODY is buying HD radios
which continue to dwindle in availability. Receiver sales are an
embarassing fraction of the most guarded projections and reportedly
most of those units have been returned as defective. iBiquity had to
bribe most receiver manufacturers to display ANY HD products at the
most recent CES. To this day I have never had a single listener or
advertiser comment or question about HD Radio. I do not know anyone
who owns or listens to an HD Radio, nor does anyone in my wide circle
of friends, relatives, associates or clients own an HD Radio - even
the CE of a local major group with several HD-operating outlets
doesn't own an HD Radio! In fact, I have met nobody outside the
industry who even knows (or cares) what HD Radio is. And this is the
business I've been in for almost 41 years!

If indeed, AM's only hope is to lure people to buy $200 cheesy HD
boxes and camp out on the ground screens of 50kw stations to listen to
the same progamming as the analog channel, in sparklingly artifact-
cobbled fake AM stereo, the future of the band appears bleak. It
would be depressing if I didn't know better, as do many others.

My station is having another record year - and in analog, go figure.
Two good friends of mine, former Entercom executives, have bought and
resuscitated two small market AMs and are having a ball and making
money, doing what all of us have done throughout happier days in our
careers - serving an audience and advertisers with local radio
service.

I am struck by the contemptuous gloom with which IBOC supporters view
not only AM radio, but radio in general. They continually preach
Kahoutek-style imminent demise and strain mightily to force the
defective IBOC-AM concept on a marketplace which couldn't care less.
All the stubborn pro-IBOC blogging in the world will not get the HD-AM
cadaver to respond to "just one more" application of the AED
paddles.

Given the choices for music consumers and the incredible failure of
corporate radio to respond meaningfully to current trends, I think
that - far from being the near-term casualty - AM radio may well be
the "last man standing" in broadcasting as music distribution choices
continue their proliferation.

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index....html#msg716891
Old February 25th 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default IBOC : WYSL's Bob Savage on AM-HD

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index....716891.html#ms...

I B OC'Deed and Half-Crocked,
-and now- Pocket Radio 1.2...
Old February 25th 08, 11:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Feb 25, 1:03*am, RHF wrote:
On Feb 24, 4:26*pm, wrote:

[...]

*.
Please put an "IBOC :" at the Start of your Subject-Lines for
your Anti-IBOC and Hate "HD" Radio Posts; and you will
most likely not see me Posting To Them with this Message.
*.
IBOC : WYSL's Bob Savage on AM-HD
*.
HOWEVER - IF You 'Choose' to leave-off the IBOC at
the Start of the Subject-Line for these Anti-IBOC and
Hate "HD" Radio Posts : You Can Count-On Me Posting
To Them and the Subject-Line will be simplified to :
*.
"IBOC: . . . "
*.
Which means that you "Lose Promoting and Making
Your Anti-IBOC and Hate "HD" Radio Message" for a
Message Cycle.
*.
It's your 'Choice' and for you the 1st is the better option.
*.
- - - - - - Message To/For One and All - - - - - -
*.
In Reality many of IBOCcrock's Postings are in-fact
Anti-Terrestrial-Radio -meaning- Anti-AM-&-FM-Radio
-aka- the 'old' Media and promoting the "New" Media
-meaning- anything Digital except IBOC.
*.
straight-talk from the heart of a 'free'
over-the-air am & fm radio listener ~ RHF

AM-HD is a bust - FM-HD to follow.