Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 2nd 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default 1000 foot longwire antenna's

dxAce raised the point that he would prefer to upgrade to a 1000 foot
antenna rather than upgrade to a better radio. This is a bit like
which came
first? the chicken or the egg? I have had extensive experience of
using
1000ft longwires or beverage antenna's on my DXpeditions over the
years and
indeed they do pull in the signals something awesome. But they also
pull in
more interfering stations that want to blot out your faint DX target,
and
also whatever QRM/RFI noise is floating around, they pull more of that
in
too.

So at the end of the day it still means it is better to DX with a top
end
radio that suppresses and minimises the offending signals and QRM that
are
interfering with your faint DX target.

Over the years I gradually upgraded my radio's to what I thought was
the
ultimate, a Drake R8B. I was quite satisfied with that until I was
loaned a
Rohde & Schwarz. Although the R & S did not have any more bells and
whistles
than my Drake, it was so clearly superior to my R8B that from then on
hankered after a better radio. The R&S just pulled in faint stations
that
did not even register on the R8B and then was also better able to
resolve to
audibility stations that were interfered with much better than the
R8B.

So I watched developments and then my good friend Guy pointed me
towards the
Icom IC-756PROIII, which I later acquired. This radio was indeed
better than
my R8B, see:
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/icom_ic756_plimmer.dx
So the 756Pro3 has really proved itself in the field, culminating in
the
catch of a lifetime: 1410 Khz, CFUN, Vancouver BC, Canada, some 14,000
miles
away from the Seefontein DX site. Whether or not I would have got this
catch
on my old R8B is a moot point - I don't think so as it was extremely
faint
and on the border of audibility, and my DX mates didn't get it either.
So I
am happy that the 756Pro3 paid for itself and that is why I am now
upgrading
to the new Icom IC-7700 which should be here in April. If I get only
one
more rare catch I will be satisfied that the 7700 has been a
worthwhile
investment.

But to keep things in perspective, I think the things that are
important to
good DX reception are, in order of importance:
1st.] A decent antenna, the best you can afford or rig up.
2nd.] Location. Most of us live in the city or suburbs and are either
in
condo's or on limited size plots, so our options are limited. That is
why
serious DXer's go to a lot of trouble and expense to find the "ideal"
DX
location. When you find a decent place, the results are VERY
rewarding.
3rd.] The radio. again, get the best you can afford. The results just
get
better and better.

I would liken our hobby to any sport. If you take golf and Tiger Woods
for
example. He has only the latest and most expensive cutting edge
equipment.
If he gets the latest $3000 putter and it allows him that extra inch
nearer
the hole, he is satisfied. So it is with radio gear and antenna's.

Have fun and good DX

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop, PAORDT Roelof mini-whip
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Wire Antenna Element s : Five Foot (5') Long -=V=- Fifty Foot (50') Long RHF Shortwave 0 October 16th 05 12:46 PM
FREE Birdview Dish's 9 foot and 10 foot Gregg Boatanchors 0 May 21st 05 07:00 PM
Best antenna's John Plimmer Shortwave 0 March 27th 04 04:23 AM
Antenna's for a Icom PCR 1000... Charly Whitaker Shortwave 4 September 20th 03 11:04 PM