Old March 4th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default R/S RG6 Coax Quality ?

Hello,

Is R/S RG6 of "decent" quality for a receive only application (to a scanner)
?

Or, should it be avoided like the plague, and go to one of the on-line radio
supplier sources ?

Thanks,
B.
Old March 4th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 4, 4:54*am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Is R/S RG6 of "decent" quality for a receive only application (to a scanner)
?

Or, should it be avoided like the plague, and go to one of the on-line radio
supplier sources ?

Thanks,
B.

Robert 11,

The RG-6 Quad (4) Shield "Stuff" sold by RadioShack is OK.

100-Foot Outdoor RG-6 QuadShield Coax Cable (Black)
RadioShack Catelog # 15-1569
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103073

50-Foot Outdoor RG-6 QuadShield Coax Cable (Black)
RadioShack Catalog # 15-1568
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103072

Need Help / Got Questions - Call RadioShack's
Toll Free Telephone # 1-800-843-7422

RadioShack's WebSite
http://www.radioshack.com/

hope this helps ~ RHF
Old March 4th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Robert11 wrote:
Is R/S RG6 of "decent" quality for a receive only application (to a scanner)
?

I've never seen a good comment about Radio Shack coax.

--
"The symbolism of a major American presidential candidate with the middle name
of Hussein, who went to elementary school in Indonesia, certainly speaks to
Old March 4th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Robert11" wrote:
Is R/S RG6 of "decent" quality for a receive only application (to a scanner)
?

It's fine. And I notice you keep saying "receive only." Loss is loss
whether transmitting or receiving. I've used RG-6 for Transmitting at
VHF with about 25 watts of power. RG-6 can easily handle that power,
and the fact that its characteristic impedance is 75 ohm matters
little.

Art N2AH

Old March 5th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hello,

Is R/S RG6 of "decent" quality for a receive only application (to a scanner)
?

Or, should it be avoided like the plague, and go to one of the on-line radio
supplier sources ?

All coax is not created equal. How lossy the RG6 is that you have your
hot hands on depends on who made it and for what purpose. Look for a
part number and manufacturer on the cable jacket. Once you have those
numbers you can look up the cable specifications and some of that will
tell you the loss per foot over a range of frequencies. You look at the
charts for the frequencies you plan to use it.

Besides loss shielding is an important factor to look at.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old March 5th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Mar 4, 6:39*pm, Bob Miller wrote:
On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:54:41 -0500, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello,

Is R/S RG6 of "decent" quality for a receive only application (to a scanner)
?

Or, should it be avoided like the plague, and go to one of the on-line radio
supplier sources ?

Thanks,
B.

- I stopped buying any type of coax from Radio Shack
- in 1979 when I saw how loosely woven their braid was.
- I have no idea about their current products.
- You might check the price on RG6 at The Wireman's
- web site.
- I especially like his RG8X -- thin coax with heavy braid
- and center conductor.
- They'll put on the proper connectors if you don't want to
- do it yourself.
-
- Bob
- k5qwg

Who is : The Original WIREMAN
http://thewireman.com/who.html

The Wireman - Products
http://thewireman.com/products.html

The Wireman - CQ Coaxial Cable
http://thewireman.com/coax.html

The Wireman - All Coax Cables
http://thewireman.com/coax.html

The Wireman - Coax Cable Data
http://thewireman.com/coaxdata.pdf
http://thewireman.com/coaxp.html

TSE - The WireBook -by- Press Jones [N8UG]
http://thewireman.com/wirebook.html

looks like the wireman does not carry any
'rg-6' quad-shield coax cable ~ RHF
Old March 5th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,

wrote:

[...]

SNIP

Thanks for spamming another thread with useless crap instead of
answering the OP's question moron.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old March 5th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

Hello,

Is R/S RG6 of "decent" quality for a receive only application (to a scanner)
?

Or, should it be avoided like the plague, and go to one of the on-line radio
supplier sources ?

Thanks,
B.

I stopped buying any type of coax from Radio Shack in 1979 when I saw
how loosely woven their braid was. I have no idea about their current
products. You might check the price on RG6 at The Wireman's web site.
I especially like his RG8X -- thin coax with heavy braid and center
conductor. They'll put on the proper connectors if you don't want to
do it yourself.

Bob
k5qwg

I use a lot of 9258 at work.
Old March 5th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default (OT) : 2008 Election Politics - The Symbolism of a Major AmericanPresidential Candidate . . .

On Mar 4, 10:52*am, clifto wrote:
- --
- "The symbolism of a major American presidential candidate
- with the middle name of Hussein, who went to elementary
- school in Indonesia, certainly speaks to Muslims abroad."
- -- Tamara Cofman Wittes, Brookings senior fellow

(OT) : 2008 Election Politics - The Symbolism of a Major
American Presidential Candidate : Barack "Insane" Obama

http://www.usvetdsp.com/gifs/obama_char2.jpg

Yes you can call him Barack "Insane" Obama or refer to
him as BHO -but- You can use his legal middle name of
"Hussein" -cause- To do so is both Racist and Anti-Islamic.

(OT) : 2008 Election Politics - This Has Been Another "Insane" Rant by
RHF
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...25706549f48af3

That-Some-Thing-Extra :
"No Virgins for Women in Muslim Paradise" -by- Ted Sampley
http://www.usvetdsp.com/jan07/muslim_women.htm
U.S. Veteran Dispatch - January 26, 2007

this has been another 'insane' rant by rhf ~ RHF
Old March 5th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

- --

RHFhttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/4b25706549f48af3

That-Some-Thing-Extra :
"No Virgins for Women in Muslim Paradise" -by- Ted Sampleyhttp://www.usvetdsp.com/jan07/muslim_women.htm
U.S. Veteran Dispatch - January 26, 2007

this has been another 'insane' rant by rhf ~ RHF
*.

My Fellow Americans,

Are We Soon To Have A New Messiah :
http://obamamessiah.blogspot.com/