Old March 5th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default RP2100 Antenna Hookup

In article
,
wrote:

Hi,

I have a Redsun RP2100 and have been trying different antenna setups
to try to get reception here in S Korea. I have had a little success
but it hasn't been great. I am able to get reception on SW1 but SW2
and SW3 have virtually nothing when I listen at night. I have a
question about my RP2100. Recently I attached a longwire antenna to
the radio through the external jack on the back. There was no
noticeable improvement in reception for SW2 and SW3. But, when I
changed the switch on the side from external to internal and touched
the whip with my finger suddenly the longwire worked from 10000 -
30000. If I unplug the longwire from the external jack and continue
touching the whip the reception in gone. If I connect the longwire
directly to the whip, again the reception is great. This is all while
the switch is set to internal antenna. Is the external jack is
broken? Strangely, I have tried using a small Degen DE31 with the
external jack and the switch set to external and it seems to work(but
not on SW2 & SW3). My knowledge of antennas is low and perhaps I am
doing something wrong. I am using 20m of 50 ohm RG-58 coax lead.
Unfortunately I can't get the antenna any closer to my house and
shorten the coax. I am going to try grounding the antenna next.

On a side note, does anyone know where you can receive service for a
Redsun product? I have tried writing to many different email
addresses and have had no response.

Thanks for any help
Regards

Sounds like you have the coax shorted. When you plug the coax in the
jack you are supposed to connect the outer shield to the connector outer
shell and the coax center wire to the connector center contact. If you
have a short at either end of the coax you will be cutting off the
antenna signals to the radio. If the coax is shorted somewhere it can
still work if touched to the whip because you are not making the a
ground connection as you are at the jack.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

CCRadio-SW = Redsun RP2100 with Twin Coil Ferrite Rod AM/MW Antenna Technology ? RHF Shortwave 11 April 30th 07 09:35 AM
Heathkit HD-11 Q Multiplier Hookup? Boatanchors 2 April 13th 06 03:59 AM
Linear hookup? Fred Maxwell Equipment 1 January 29th 05 07:30 PM
Mic hookup for Hallicrafters! SR-500 Rodney Isom Boatanchors 1 June 26th 04 01:15 AM
VF-1 for WRL Globe Scout hookup.. Jos Boatanchors 2 July 23rd 03 02:07 PM