RadioBanter

-   -   Ground Wire Length? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/131502-ground-wire-length.html)

garthpdm March 16th 08 09:16 AM

Ground Wire Length?

Hi,

I am wondering what limitations are on the length of the ground wire
lead from the transformer/balun to the ground rod? Thanks,

Garth

Burr March 16th 08 09:48 AM

Ground Wire Length?

"garthpdm" wrote in message
Hi,

I am wondering what limitations are on the length of the ground wire
lead from the transformer/balun to the ground rod? Thanks,

Garth

Hi Garth,
As long as you use a nice grd wire like 14, 16, 18 or even 20 it will be
OK.
Be sure that the rod is getting a good grd like a wet spot in your yard
and like 6,8 or 10 ft' long, deeper the better.

Burr

dxAce March 16th 08 10:47 AM

Ground Wire Length?

garthpdm wrote:

Hi,

I am wondering what limitations are on the length of the ground wire
lead from the transformer/balun to the ground rod? Thanks,

Just keep it as short as you can. Here, my ground wires from the matching
transformers are 9' long, into 8' ground rods.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

msg March 16th 08 06:11 PM

Ground Wire Length?

dave wrote:

garthpdm wrote:

Hi,

I am wondering what limitations are on the length of the ground wire
lead from the transformer/balun to the ground rod? Thanks,

Garth

There is no requirement to to ground the BalUn (UnUn) directly. The
antenna lead (coaxial cable outer conductor) must be grounded at the
point where it enters the building. That is where the main ground
should be.

In cases of high ambient noise, such as at my QTH, the following approach
taken from "Broadband Receiving Antenna Matching, Mark Connelly, WA1ION
– 15 July, 2003" has worked for me; at this time I do NOT ground the feedline
coax at any point, instead it is buried in plastic conduit at a depth of
3 feet for a distance of thirty feet (from the shack to the antenna mast),
and the balun's ground wire is only six feet in length (the balun is
in a waterproof box at the feed end of the longwire, which is configured
'Marconi'-style with a short sloped section to the mast insulator.

I use a quadrifilar winding as described he

30.5 m (100 ft.) end-fed horizontal longwire, about 1.5 m off ground
Preferred broadband match = 9:1 transformer
This is the “plain vanilla” antenna used by many DXers. It will work connected straight to a
receiver’s input, but quite a bit more signal can be squeezed out of it if it is matched correctly. In
a narrowband sense, you’d use L-C tuning. For efficient broadband coupling, a 9:1 transformer
does best. In this case we’re talking about an FT114-J with a 7 turn trifilar winding, rather than
the mediocre Mini-Circuits T9-1. Lead 1A goes to the antenna, 1B and 2A are joined, 50-ohm
output is at joined 2B and 3A leads, and common ground goes to 3B. If “station” and “field”
grounds are to be separated for noise reduction, you’ll need a quadrifilar winding with the fourth
winding feeding the coaxial line. There would be no connection at the 2B/3A junction and lead
3B would go to the field-site ground rod system. Opposite side windings (e.g. FT114-J: 21 turns
/ 7 turns or FT140-43: 33 turns / 11 turns) could also work, but sensitivity above 5 MHz may
suffer. A binocular core approach would be a 9-turn antenna winding and a 3-turn winding to
feed the coaxial cable.

Michael

Burr March 16th 08 11:39 PM

Ground Wire Length?

"dave" wrote in message
garthpdm wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering what limitations are on the length of the ground wire
lead from the transformer/balun to the ground rod? Thanks,

Garth

There is no requirement to to ground the BalUn (UnUn) directly. The
antenna lead (coaxial cable outer conductor) must be grounded at the point
where it enters the building. That is where the main ground should be.

You can also carry away EMF by wrapping gnd around your wire NOT on the bare
wire, just close as a bleed.

Burr

Telamon March 16th 08 11:43 PM

Ground Wire Length?

In article ,
"Burr" wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
garthpdm wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering what limitations are on the length of the ground wire
lead from the transformer/balun to the ground rod? Thanks,

Garth

There is no requirement to to ground the BalUn (UnUn) directly. The
antenna lead (coaxial cable outer conductor) must be grounded at the point
where it enters the building. That is where the main ground should be.

This is wrong. You do not want the AC power supply return to be your RF
ground. There is a lot noise on the power ground. You want a ground
under the antenna ideally and one that is not used for any other purpose.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon March 17th 08 12:38 AM

Ground Wire Length?

In article ,
msg wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
"Burr" wrote:

"dave" wrote in message

garthpdm wrote:

Hi,

I am wondering what limitations are on the length of the ground wire
lead from the transformer/balun to the ground rod? Thanks,

Garth

There is no requirement to to ground the BalUn (UnUn) directly. The
antenna lead (coaxial cable outer conductor) must be grounded at the point
where it enters the building. That is where the main ground should be.

This is wrong. You do not want the AC power supply return to be your RF
ground. There is a lot noise on the power ground. You want a ground
under the antenna ideally and one that is not used for any other purpose.

Indeed, that is the point I was trying to make in my earlier post.

Sorry about that. Looks like someone cut your comments out of the thread.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

dave March 17th 08 01:25 AM

Ground Wire Length?

msg wrote:
Telamon wrote:

In article ,
"Burr" wrote:

"dave" wrote in message

garthpdm wrote:

Hi,

I am wondering what limitations are on the length of the ground wire
lead from the transformer/balun to the ground rod? Thanks,

Garth

There is no requirement to to ground the BalUn (UnUn) directly. The
antenna lead (coaxial cable outer conductor) must be grounded at the
point where it enters the building. That is where the main ground
should be.

This is wrong. You do not want the AC power supply return to be your
RF ground. There is a lot noise on the power ground. You want a ground
under the antenna ideally and one that is not used for any other purpose.

Indeed, that is the point I was trying to make in my earlier post.

Michael

Who said anything about AC power? I'm assuming we're using batteries;
so what? Code specifies that the lead be grounded where it enters the
building. If you're getting noise from your grounds they aren't very
good grounds.