RadioBanter

-   -   Improve the Rec.Radio.Shortwave Newsgroup -by- Make On-Topic Posts-and- Being a Positive Contributor (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/132558-improve-rec-radio-shortwave-newsgroup-make-topic-posts-being-positive-contributor.html)

RHF April 14th 08 05:55 PM

Improve the Rec.Radio.Shortwave Newsgroup -by- Make On-Topic Posts-and- Being a Positive Contributor

Improve the Rec.Radio.Shortwave Newsgroup
-by- Make On-Topic Posts
-and- Being a Positive Contributor

Again I Repeat - One Positive Post that is about Shortwave Radio
does Four Times (4X) More Good in Keeping this Newsgroup
"Focused" On-Topic then Off-Topic (OT) Posts -or- Atacks on
'other' Members of the Newsgroup.

A Positive Shortwave Radio or Radio Related Post can
and does often generate a follow-up Reply by someone
else and that becomes the beginning of Real Content
for other Readers to R-E-A-D ! {Good Content :o}

People come here to R-E-A-D and Post -but- It Most Often
Starts with Reading and then a Reply. {Good Content}

On the Average One Good Original On-Topic Post will
generate Four or More Replies. {Good Content :o}

All Open Un-Moderated Newsgroups have their Off-Topic Posts
and SPAM [BAD CONTENT] -but- The Good Newsgroups also
have a Larger Share (Much More) of their {Good Content :o}

It is the S/N Ratio of {Good Content :o} over [BAD CONTENT]
that makes a Newsgroup Interesting-to-Read and -imho- a
Good Newsgroup.

Again Reap-What-You-Sow : The Challenge for Everyone

Once-a-Week Endeavor To :
* Post an Answer to One Newbies Question
* Post One Shortwave Radio Reception Report (SWR3)
* Post One : Me-Too / Atta-Boy / That Was Interesting
Reply to a Post that you though was deserving.
* Post Info about One Website that is Shortwave Radio
or Radio Related.
+ That Something Extra that is Uniquely You :o)

Imagine Yourself and 20 Other Members of this Newsgroup
Being Positive Contributers to this Newsgroup and Posting
Four (4) such Messages and Replies each Week : That
would add-up to 80 Messages about 11 per Day for each
Day of the Week. The Quality Signal Level would Go Up
and even -if- the Noise Level stayed the same the Signal
to Noise Level would improve Greatly.

Everyone - It's Your Newsgroup -but- Only -if- You Contribute
in a Positive Way -by- Being-a-Contributor "Poster" and not
simply a Reader {Consumer}.

=PS= Newsgroup "Consumers" -aka- Readers : Take That
First-Step and Post a simple "Atta-Boy" or "Ditto That" reply.

Knocking On "The-Other-Guy" simply makes you out to be
one more Whiner and simply adds to the Noise Level of the
Newsgroup.
-and- I Believe That Each of You Are Better Than That.

Everyone - Be Better At Being Yourself - Love The Reason
For You Being Here as a Member of Rec.Radio/Shortwave :
More Than You Hate Anyone Else Here.

Improve the rrs newsgroup -by- make on-topic posts
-not- positive contributions ~ RHF

RHF April 15th 08 05:42 AM

(OT) : IBOCcrock "S T F U !"

On Apr 14, 9:13Â*pm, IBOCcrock wrote:
On Apr 14, 12:55�pm, RHF wrote:

[...]

IBOCcrock - You are most eloquent when you say the least.

Plus for you this was 'original' and not a Cut-and-Paste
of someone else's original content.

(OT) : IBOCcrock "S T F U !"

-ps- Back At You - In Your Own Words. ~ RHF

Honestly IBOCcrock - Except for the Chinese Spammers
You and Your Sock-Puppets are the next real source of
Non Shortwave Radio related Messages posted here on
a regular basis.
http://objektnot.com/images/octopus_sock_puppets.jpg

IBOCcrock - You use Anti-HD-Radio to mask your
true theme which is ANTI "Old Media" meaning Free
Over-the-Air AM & FM Radio.

pgas April 22nd 08 10:38 AM

RHF wrote:
People come here to R-E-A-D and Post -but- It Most Often
Starts with Reading and then a Reply. {Good Content}

I, for one, have trouble reading your GiBBerish{!} posts.
Please keep it simple.

--
pgas @ SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

RHF April 22nd 08 03:33 PM

On Apr 22, 2:38*am, pgas wrote:
- - RHF wrote:
- - People come here to R-E-A-D and Post -but- It Most Often
- - Starts with Reading and then a Reply. *{Good Content}

- I, for one, have trouble reading your GiBBerish{!} posts.
- Please keep it simple.
-
- --
- pgas @ SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

P Gas - "GiBBerish{!} posts." - That's a Start ! ~ RHF

John Kasupski[_2_] April 23rd 08 12:31 PM

Improve the Rec.Radio.Shortwave Newsgroup -by- Make On-Topic Posts -and- Being a Positive Contributor

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:58:26 -0400, "SWL-2010"
wrote:

I'm always ready for discussions about Shortwave radio, and all it's
aspects. I would love to be more involved in this group as an on topic
poster. I come by now and again, and to tell the truth, it's very hard to
wade through the spam, the personal conflicts, the name calling, the
childish behavior and the profanity used by a few of the contributors. But,
If you guys are serious about getting back to the purpose of the group, the
wonderful hobby of Shortwave Listening, count me in.

I've been away for a while due to a lack of time to read the
newsgroups, the result of various reasons. Now, I am starting to get
caught up and have returned to find that the noise level does seem to
have gone up in this NG since I last read it regularly, and I'm having
to tweak my killfile a bit to compensate.

Toward that end, may I make a constructive suggestion relative to
wading through the spam, might I suggest that you grab an NNTP client
rather than using Outlook for reading the newsgroups?

These allow you to filter out unwanted posters using a variety of
header fields. Now, many people create filters based on the From:
field and killfile the poster by his/her/its e-mail address. The
problem with that is that those addresses can be spoofed, and so
people trying that approach often experience less than optimal results
because spammers frequently change their posting addresses

I've found that if you filter on the subject line contents, you have
better results. Set up filters that trash anything that contains words
such as - Nike, Paypal, ebay, wholesale, rolex and other frequently
spammed brand names - in the subject line, and after a bit of tweaking
you can get a good NNTP client to remove most of this garbage for you
automatically, almost all of it in fact.

Simply killfiling an e-mail address works for those times when you've
decided that a regular poster who consistently posts from the same
address just doesn't post anything worth reading. Sadly, I've
killfiled a few individuals in some of the groups I'm subscribed to,
but filtering on the subject line proves much more effective for those
who want to peddle fake watches, sneakers, porn, or whatever.

Just my $0.02 worth and here's hoping it helps.

JK

RHF April 23rd 08 05:24 PM

On Apr 14, 9:55*am, RHF wrote:
[...]

*.

JK,

That's Good Advise on Filtering the Subject Line
and in this 2008 Year of Election Politics may
I also suggest the following :
Election & Electoral
Vote & Voting
President & Presidential
Hillary & Clinton
Barack & Obama
?John? & McCain
Democrat & Republican

Natually : OT / (OT) / Off-Topic are a must in any
Subject-Line Filter - imho ~ RHF

John Kasupski[_2_] April 23rd 08 06:24 PM

Improve the Rec.Radio.Shortwave Newsgroup -by- Make On-Topic Posts -and- Being a Positive Contributor

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:24:55 -0700 (PDT), RHF
wrote:

That's Good Advise on Filtering the Subject Line
and in this 2008 Year of Election Politics may
I also suggest the following :
Election & Electoral
Vote & Voting
President & Presidential
Hillary & Clinton
Barack & Obama
?John? & McCain
Democrat & Republican

Natually : OT / (OT) / Off-Topic are a must in any
Subject-Line Filter - imho ~ RHF

Yes...and in the case of this newsgroup, a filter to remove
rec.radio.info posting guidelines that don't belong here would also
seem to be in order. Unfortunately, filters set in the newsgroups
don't work on e-mail.

Therefore, this morning I received an e-mail reply from someone at
panix.com (from which the rri/rrapm moderation team carries out its
dirty work) concerning the FAQ for this newsgroup, and to which I
composed a reply to the effect that apparently nobody in this group is
interested in their group, its posting guidelines, or its moderation
team.

Somehow, I doubt that this will convince them to concern themselves
with their own groups and leave ours alone, but at least I tried.

JK

[email protected] April 23rd 08 07:30 PM

Improve the Rec.Radio.Shortwave Newsgroup -by- Make On-TopicP...

panix,,, smanix,,, Sometimes I am on topic.Most times not.
cuhulin