Old April 17th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Minimum gauge for groud...

In article cDxNj.121$og.91@edtnps91, m II wrote:

Telamon wrote:

Please explain why you think a 'brick chimney' will make an excellent
ground.

Well lets see.

1. If you pack earth (mud) together and bake it you get the bricks that
make up the chimney.

2. If you are RHF you have a brick head.

3. If you are Drakefan or DxAce you might as well be talking to a brick
wall.

How did I do?

Not particularly well, I'm afraid. Poor composition and petty personal
attacks detract from what could have been a fine demonstration of the
term non-sequitur. Our ratings board gives the posting a 3 1/2 out of ten.

I thought I made some good connections between what the OP thought was
good idea, the earthen characteristics of RHF, and the utter uselessness
of a concept fostered upon the clueless.

Maybe you could provide a better example.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 17th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

Please explain why you think a 'brick chimney' will make an excellent
ground.

Well lets see.

1. If you pack earth (mud) together and bake it you get the bricks that
make up the chimney.

2. If you are RHF you have a brick head.

3. If you are Drakefan or DxAce you might as well be talking to a brick
wall.

How did I do?

Not particularly well, I'm afraid. Poor composition and petty personal
attacks detract from what could have been a fine demonstration of the
term non-sequitur. Our ratings board gives the posting a 3 1/2 out of ten.

I think you need to provide a better example then.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 17th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Burr" wrote:

"m II" wrote in message news:cDxNj.121$og.91@edtnps91...
Telamon wrote:

Please explain why you think a 'brick chimney' will make an excellent
ground.

Well lets see.

1. If you pack earth (mud) together and bake it you get the bricks that
make up the chimney.

2. If you are RHF you have a brick head.

3. If you are Drakefan or DxAce you might as well be talking to a brick
wall.

How did I do?

Not particularly well, I'm afraid. Poor composition and petty personal
attacks detract from what could have been a fine demonstration of the
term non-sequitur. Our ratings board gives the posting a 3 1/2 out of ten.

Mike, what's a "non-sequitur" and what does it do to the radio???

He is saying what I wrote does not follow the thread but it actually
does so what Mike wrote is nonsense. What I wrote is factual.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 17th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:

[...]

What about the dead chicken ??? If I get a steroid free chicken from the
Amish market, will it make a better ground then say a Tyson chicken ???

Michael

Old April 17th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon"
Mike, what's a "non-sequitur" and what does it do to the radio???

He is saying what I wrote does not follow the thread but it actually
does so what Mike wrote is nonsense. What I wrote is factual.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Burr's Radio Shack - http://tinyurl.com/3wuscnRed Mountain, California /
Bulacan, Philippines

Old April 17th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Michael"

What about the dead chicken ??? If I get a steroid free chicken from the
Amish market, will it make a better ground then say a Tyson chicken ???

Michael

I have found that a Leg of Lamb works best when swung at a 45 degrees to the
ground. Take care "NOT" to hit the roof on the back swing. Also watch out
for the TV antenna on the chimney.

Old April 17th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Best antenna is to stick a wire on your gal friend's arse.
cuhulin

Old April 17th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 16, 4:05*am, "Michael" wrote:
"dxAce" wrote in message

Michael wrote:

"Drakefan" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
Hiya...

Been a while since I posted here. *For the sake of noise suppression
as
affective lightning protection is almost hopeless without gas tubes,
what
would be the minimum gauge wire that you could use for a ground from
the
radio to a ground spike and from a matching transformer to a ground
spike
??? *Yes, I know there is loads of info on the net, but I would like
some
active opinions as some recent discussions I have had on this has been
conflicting.

Also... I've gotten conflicting opinions on this one too. *If you have
long wire or beverage set up on a matching transformer like the ICE
180,
there is a ground receptacle on the matching transformer. *Would you:

A. *Use a separate ground wire from the matching transformer to the
ground spike and another separate ground wire from the receiver to the
ground spike ???

or

B. *Use one single ground wire from the receiver's ground port going
up
to the matching transformer and then to the ground spike ???

I know this stuff is antenna-101, but I'm interested to see what the
opinions here are

Thanx in advance !!!

Mike D.
Northern NJ
First, the balun shouldn't be up in the air. It should be close to the
ground at the lower end of the vertical downlead wire of the inverted-L
antenna. Then you can use a short, less than three feet, length of
grounding wire from the balun to the rod. The ground wire should be at
least 10-gauge, preferably larger, like 6 or 4-gauge. The coax should
run
on or in the ground to the house and then to the radio. This will
prevent
it from picking up noise on the coax shield, which can happen when the
coax is up in the air. It's not absolutely necessary to ground the coax
shield again near the radio if you follow the above advice.

Thank you for all the replies. *My evil plan is this. *Since I cant get
the
matching transformer away from the house, I will secure it to the house's
brick chimney. *The chimney goes all the way to the concrete foundation
and
should make an excellent ground.

Please explain why you think a 'brick chimney' will make an excellent
ground.

- How about, the best thing approximating ground
- that is available on my roof ???
-
- Michael

Michael,

'possibly' a Metal Vent Pipe coming out of the Roof.

would be a good ground ~ RHF
Old April 17th 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 16, 6:12*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

*"Michael" wrote:
"dxAce" wrote in message

Michael wrote:
Hiya...

Been a while since I posted here. *For the sake of noise
suppression as affective lightning protection is almost
hopeless without gas tubes, what would be the minimum gauge
wire that you could use for a ground from the radio to a ground
spike and from a matching transformer to a ground spike ??? *
Yes, I know there is loads of info on the net, but I would like
some active opinions as some recent discussions I have had on
this has been conflicting.

Also... I've gotten conflicting opinions on this one too. *If
you have a long wire or beverage set up on a matching
[...]

- Get a dead chicken from the market, put it in a paper bag,
- stand up on your roof swinging the dead chicken in the bag
- around in a circle above your head and chant RHF, RHF over
and over until your reception improves.
-
- If that does not work try shouting Billy boy while doing the same.
-
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California
-

Teli - Hey - You do have an 'imagination' after all. ) ~ RHF
Old April 17th 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"RHF"