Old April 17th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Minimum gauge for groud...

On Apr 16, 6:05*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

*dxAce wrote:
Michael wrote:

"Drakefan" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
Hiya...

Been a while since I posted here. *For the sake of noise suppression as
affective lightning protection is almost hopeless without gas tubes, what
would be the minimum gauge wire that you could use for a ground from the
radio to a ground spike and from a matching transformer to a ground spike
??? *Yes, I know there is loads of info on the net, but I would like some
active opinions as some recent discussions I have had on this has been
conflicting.

Also... I've gotten conflicting opinions on this one too. *If you have a
long wire or beverage set up on a matching transformer like the ICE 180,
there is a ground receptacle on the matching transformer. *Would you:

A. *Use a separate ground wire from the matching transformer to the
ground spike and another separate ground wire from the receiver to the
ground spike ???

or

B. *Use one single ground wire from the receiver's ground port going up
to the matching transformer and then to the ground spike ???

I know this stuff is antenna-101, but I'm interested to see what the
opinions here are

Thanx in advance !!!

Mike D.
Northern NJ
First, the balun shouldn't be up in the air. It should be close to the
ground at the lower end of the vertical downlead wire of the inverted-L
antenna. Then you can use a short, less than three feet, length of
grounding wire from the balun to the rod. The ground wire should be at
least 10-gauge, preferably larger, like 6 or 4-gauge. The coax should run
on or in the ground to the house and then to the radio. This will prevent
it from picking up noise on the coax shield, which can happen when the
coax is up in the air. It's not absolutely necessary to ground the coax
shield again near the radio if you follow the above advice.

Thank you for all the replies. *My evil plan is this. *Since I cant get the
matching transformer away from the house, I will secure it to the house's
brick chimney. *The chimney goes all the way to the concrete foundation and
should make an excellent ground.

Please explain why you think a 'brick chimney' will make an excellent ground.

- Well lets see.
-
- 1. *If you pack earth (mud) together and bake it
- you get the bricks that make up the chimney.
-
- 2. *If you are RHF you have a brick head.
-
- 3. If you are Drakefan or DxAce you might as well
- be talking to a brick wall.
-
- How did I do?
-
- --
- Telamon
- Ventura, California
-

Telamon Asks : How Did I Do ?
Teli You DooDoo Very Well ! ~ RHF
http://www.perfect-****.com/****-bg.jpg

Teli - I am sure that Drakefan and DX Ace appreciate
the fact that you 'care' to give-it-your-very-best . . .
http://www.torrentsmd.com/imagestorage/283489_cc6.jpg

i know that i do ~ RHF
Old April 17th 08, 05:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 16, 7:10*pm, "Burr" wrote:
"m II" wrote in messagenews:cDxNj.121$og.91@edtnps91...
Telamon wrote:

Please explain why you think a 'brick chimney' will make an excellent
ground.

Well lets see.

1. *If you pack earth (mud) together and bake it you get the bricks that
make up the chimney.

2. *If you are RHF you have a brick head.

3. If you are Drakefan or DxAce you might as well be talking to a brick
wall.

How did I do?

Not particularly well, I'm afraid. Poor composition and petty personal
attacks detract from what could have been a fine demonstration of the
term non-sequitur. Our ratings board gives the posting a 3 1/2 out of ten.

Old April 17th 08, 08:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Michael wrote:
"dxAce" wrote in message

Michael wrote:

[...]

How about, the best thing approximating ground that is available on my roof
???

Michael

Bricks are basically a ceramic material. Guess what the power companies
use for insulators on their poles? That's right, ceramic insulators. One
insulator a few inches tall can prevent thousands of volts from leaking
to the ground from the wire. That should give you some idea of how far
from electrical ground the top of the chimney really is. In fact the
electrical resistance of a brick is so high it's almost impossible to
measure it with normal test equipment. Here's an example:

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Scien...ion103133.html
Old April 17th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

msg wrote:

Asked before, but never got answer: why does an American
use the term 'arse'?

Because her husband answers to it?

mike
Old April 17th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I think arse just sounds better.
cuhulin

Old April 18th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Michael" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article cDxNj.121$og.91@edtnps91, m II wrote:

Telamon wrote:

Please explain why you think a 'brick chimney' will make an
excellent ground.

Well lets see.

1. If you pack earth (mud) together and bake it you get the
bricks that make up the chimney.

2. If you are RHF you have a brick head.

3. If you are Drakefan or DxAce you might as well be talking to
a brick wall.

How did I do?

Not particularly well, I'm afraid. Poor composition and petty
personal attacks detract from what could have been a fine
demonstration of the term non-sequitur. Our ratings board gives
the posting a 3 1/2 out of ten.

I thought I made some good connections between what the OP thought
was good idea, the earthen characteristics of RHF, and the utter
uselessness of a concept fostered upon the clueless.

Maybe you could provide a better example.

What about the dead chicken ??? If I get a steroid free chicken from
the Amish market, will it make a better ground then say a Tyson
chicken ???

It does not matter what type of chicken you use. Open the bag and look
at the dead chicken. That chicken has about as much a chance of being
reanimated as your chimney has of being a good ground. Then give the
dead chicken to MII for lunch.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old April 18th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article zBTNj.74$XI1.1@edtnps91, m II wrote:

Telamon wrote:

It does not matter what type of chicken you use. Open the bag and look
at the dead chicken. That chicken has about as much a chance of being
reanimated as your chimney has of being a good ground. Then give the
dead chicken to MII for lunch.

Grow up.

Have a nice lunch.

--