Old April 18th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) Earthquake

One time, right after our half hour dinner break at the auto/truck/lawn
mower/MG auto battery factory where I used to work in
Florence,Mississippi,,,, I said, Shake it baby, dont break it, wrap it
up and I will take it.

She backed up about two steps, said,,,
What did you say,Larry?
cuhulin

Old April 19th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

It was revised after the original report, which came via email from the USGS.

I get those on my SMS phone. Just SoCal. That's plenty. Do you get
alerts for the whole USA?
Old April 19th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dave wrote:

dxAce wrote:

It was revised after the original report, which came via email from the USGS.

I get those on my SMS phone. Just SoCal. That's plenty. Do you get
alerts for the whole USA?

I do get them for the whole USA (and world) but I'll have to go look at what my
defaults are as far as magnitude are.

Here is the site to sign up for the email alerts:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/ens

Old April 19th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080419/D904VLJ80.html

I remember the 1968 quake on the Wabash Fault. I was at my grandparents home in
Ft. Wayne, Indiana at the time.

dxAce wrote:

Had a small earthquake here this morning. Apparently centered in Illinois, it
was felt at least 30 miles NE of my location. Just a bit of a rattle.

Region: ILLINOIS
Geographic coordinates: 38.520N, 87.872W
Magnitude: 5.4 Mw
Depth: 5 km
Universal Time (UTC): 18 Apr 2008 09:36:56
Time near the Epicenter: 18 Apr 2008 03:36:56
Local standard time in your area: 18 Apr 2008 09:36:56

Location with respect to nearby cities:
12 km (7 miles) E (90 degrees) of West Salem, IL
14 km (8 miles) NE (53 degrees) of Bone Gap, IL
14 km (9 miles) W (266 degrees) of Allendale, IL
67 km (41 miles) NNW (335 degrees) of Evansville, IN
206 km (128 miles) E (93 degrees) of St. Louis, MO

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 19th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

[...]

Everyplace has its problems like violent weather, earthquakes, fires.
You make your choice and live with it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old April 20th 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Apr 18, 2:45*pm, dxAce wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article ,
*D Peter wrote:

dxAce wrote:
[...]

* *I wonder if New Madrid is getting antsy, again. There's quite a bit
of seismic activity downstate that originates with pressures bearing on
the New Madrid fault.

* *I didn't feel anything here. But that's probably why I'm still single.

* *But thanks for the head's up. I'll check the seismograph at the
Planetarium when I'm down there this weekend.

That was a magnitude 5.2

It was revised after the original report, which came via email from the USGS.

You must have been to this page.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2008qza6.php

--
Telamon
Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Anyone besides me find it odd that when the news broke, the only
picture any of the news stations in the Chicago area could come up
with was fallen bricks off a building in Louisville KY some - oh - 200
miles from the epicenter.?? I kept waiting for some station to at the
very least go down to Mt. Vernon IL and take some pics, but there was
nothing. Also, I guess not much happened in West Salem - no real
calamity.
But that fault line is bad. I find it so interesting that everybody
talks so much about California - and very little gets said about the
NEW MADRID fault line which is supposed to be far more dangerous.

Anyone have any good news articles on this quake?? Still trying to
look up the Mt. Vernon Register. I'm fairly certain Bone Gap doesn't
have a media outlet.
Old April 20th 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

" wrote:

On Apr 18, 2:45 pm, dxAce wrote:
Telamon wrote:
In article ,
D Peter wrote:

dxAce wrote:
[...]

WLS radio and at least their ABC 7 outlet had sent some folks down to that area.
Apparantly quite rural.

As far as I know the damage in Louisville was really the only big news heard even
here. Quite lucky I suppose.