Old April 24th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Tuning High Freq. Bands.

I still love to tune analog receivers. I love digital radios and all, they
are accurate and take out all the guess work, and for target DX-ing, you
can't beat 'em. But for general DX-ing up and down the bands, for me there's
still nothing that beats a nice smooth tuning analog shortwave receiver. My
old Kenwood R-300 is as smooth as silk and as accurate as can be.

I remember a long time ago, when we tuned nothing but analog radios, and my
father taught me how to get used to the different tones and chimes that
distant countries used to sign on and of the air, and that was how you knew
if you were right on frequency.

I have some of these Chinese portables that are analog sets, like the Kaito
1107 and the Tecsun R-9700Dx, and of course the old radio Shack DX-397. I
love get them out and just see what you can find on the dials. The DX-397 is
not accurate at all, but has strong receive. The 1107 is not great on
either, but the R-9700DX is accurate and has a very strong receive.

The old Drake SSR-1 is a Wadley loop and is as accurate as any digital
receiver. It's a load of fun to tune around on.
Then I have this one, it's an old radio Shack DX-100 that is not accurate,
but the sensitivity is unreal. It was a great surprise and a great addition
to my shack, that I got through a trade from a friend that used to post
here. I still use that receiver allot.