RadioBanter

-   -   Need indoor am antenna... (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/133003-need-indoor-am-antenna.html)

Telamon April 28th 08 07:00 AM

Need indoor am antenna...

In article ,
Waldo Lydecker wrote:

Would this be any good?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3872.html

Every engineered piece of equipment has the use for which it is
designed. If you can put this unit in a room with no nearby electronic
noise generators I'm sure it will work fine but I would expect that you
would find it hard to find that electrically quiet spot in your house.

The antenna is a whip. A whip is essentially a voltage probe type of
antenna that will do a good job of picking up local noise sources so I
can't recommend it.

The antenna type is not in this units favor however, instead of being
the usual broadband amplifier design this one is tunable. This feature
could be a help rejecting some of the local noise makers. The drawback
is you have to keep retuning it every time you retune your receiver.

For starters I would look online for a review. Then I would consider the
other electronics around you that would interfere with your reception.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon April 28th 08 07:09 AM

Need indoor am antenna...

In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

"Waldo Lydecker" wrote in message
Would this be any good?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3872.html

Would do zero for noise abatement.

It has two things going for it. The unit is small so you could put it in
a quiet spot if you can find one indoors. It is tunable not broadband.

He would be much better off with a shielded loop or even a small ferrite
loop antenna.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Joe Analssandrini April 28th 08 04:53 PM

Need indoor am antenna...

Dear Wally,

If you want a shortwave (only) antenna for use with a portable
shortwave radio, the best one for use in an apartment is the Sony AN-
LP1 which hangs in your window (inside) and can even be taken down and
packed away easily and conveniently at any time. It is currently
available new from only one source of which I'm aware

http://search.stores.ebay.com/buyfro...Q2dLP1QQsofpZ0

and this dealer is reportedly extremely reliable. It works extremely
well for shortwave reception and even minimizes to some extent local
electrical nose which is endemic in a high-rise.

If, however, by 'am' you mean the standard broadcast band, the best
antenna for the money is definitely the C. Crane Twin Coil Ferrite
Antenna http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-an...m-antenna.aspx
. (you can read an excellent review here http://www.radiointel.com/review-ccrane_twincoil.htm
). The reception element can be placed indoors on a windowsill and

the control element can be placed conveniently where you need it..

I own both of the above antennas and I can tell you that they are both
excellent in their respective niches. Either will work extremely well
in a high-rise apartment complex.

Best,

Joe

On Apr 27, 5:04 pm, Waldo Lydecker ferrante276-
wrote:
I live in a high rise apartment complex and cannot get am in very
good. I cannot put anything out the window. With that in mind, is
there an antenna that will help with am reception?

thanx.

Wally

Waldo Lydecker April 28th 08 05:38 PM

Need indoor am antenna...

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:53:48 -0700 (PDT), Joe Analssandrini
wrote:

Dear Wally,

If you want a shortwave (only) antenna for use with a portable
shortwave radio, the best one for use in an apartment is the Sony AN-
LP1 which hangs in your window (inside) and can even be taken down and
packed away easily and conveniently at any time. It is currently
available new from only one source of which I'm aware

http://search.stores.ebay.com/buyfro...Q2dLP1QQsofpZ0

I really like the above. I also like the one your mentioned below (The
CCrane antenna). Here is another question I have. I want to take my
radio out by a pier where people fish near Lake Erie. I will be
sitting in my car with my Eton S350 and would placing one of these
antennas help with reception or enhance it? If the CCrane work on a
car roof or is it just for apartments and such? What about this one
(http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3872.html) would that
work with sitting on the roof or would it be a waste of time (I hope
it doesn't attract a lightening bolt!). Maybe there is something
better that has not been mentioned. I cannot afford a lot of money,
however.

Thanks!
Wally

RHF April 28th 08 07:18 PM

Need indoor am antenna...

On Apr 27, 10:04*pm, Waldo Lydecker
wrote:
-
- Would this be any good?
-
- http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3872.html
-
- Wally

WL - For $180 you could do better. ~ RHF

Kaito KA35 Active MW/SW Antenna @ Half the Price
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/4835.html

MFJ-1020C Indoor MW/SW Active Antenna @ Half the Price
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/1413.html

Make a Shielded Loop Antenna from RG-8 Coax Cable with
a 3-Foot feed-in-line. Size the Loop Element to 'fit' 3"~6"
within the measured Glass Size. Place/Secure the Loop
Element on/near the Glass; and centered on the Glass.
Use the Loop Element with the MFJ-1020C Indoor MW/SW
Active Antenna {Remote the Whip}.

How-To-Make : Shielded Loop Antenna from RG-8 Coax Cable
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...ea5a14e68910ac
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...85af3cef2fb65f
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...85af3cef2fb65f
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...bbc752371bebcc
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...498c52932af49a
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...8005ce8c7f5c9c
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...dc49a6c156fa2b

hope this helps ~ RHF

Radioguy April 28th 08 07:36 PM

Need indoor am antenna...

wrote:
I live in a high rise apartment complex and cannot get am in very
good. I cannot put anything out the window. With that in mind, is
there an antenna that will help with am reception?

thanx.

Wally

Which radio are you using for AM reception.

Joe Analssandrini April 29th 08 06:49 PM

Need indoor am antenna...

Dear Wally,

For use at the beach or a pier with a Grundig S350, you could use the
C. Crane Twin Coil Antenna I mentioned but an even better choice for
such a situation would be either the Select-A-Tenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/mwant/4316.html (the
"regular" model, not the "M" model) with both your radio and this
antenna placed on a "lazy susan." (Here is just one example of that:
http://www.discounts4uonline.com/~th...oducts _id=34
. There are many others, often available locally. You need not spend

a lot of money on this.

Another antenna, similar to the Select-a-Tenna, and somewhat less
expensive, is the Terk AM Advantage
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._I ndoor.html
. For all intents and purposes, these two antennas will work the

same. You can read a comparative review here http://www.radiointel.com/review-2loop.htm
.

Obviously, those antenna listed above are strictly for medium wave
(MW) AM reception - the AM broadcast band.

For shortwave listening at a beach or, probably, your pier, generally
the radio's telescopic antenna will work just fine. If you insist on
trying something "better," I suggest the Sangean ANT-60 "wind-up"
antenna
http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-ANT-60.../dp/B000023VW2
. It's certainly not a "great" antenna (but, then again, the Gruding

S350 is not a "great" radio either!). And note that, when you go to
the beach or that pier, you don't want to carry around a lot of excess
paraphernalia.

I must tell you that, if you have the radio and all its antenna
peripherals inside your car, you are not going to get good reception.
Period. At least the antenna MUST be outside the metal cage of your
car. (Even the telescopic whip must be placed outside the open
window.)

The C. Crane Twin Coil will certainly work on a car roof but I'm
afraid you would find that a little clumsy. Better to use the Select-A-
Tenna or the Terk on a lazy susan either on your car roof or, even
better, on a portable (folding) table outside your car. (Of course, in
that situation, your radio would have to be outside also; both of
those antenna are "inductive" and must be used within about six-to-
eight inches of the radio.) The Sangean ANT-60 shortwave antenna needs
only something to hook the far end to (a tree branch or even another
car window frame if the car's owner is amenable).

I'd also like to mention the Sony ICF-SW7600GR. If you primarily wish
to listen to the regular broadcast (AM) band outdoors, that radio
needs NO auxiliary antenna whatsoever., It works in a superlative
fashion with its own built-in ferrite coil antenna. It's one of the
most sensitive AM radios around (and it has a synchronous detection
circuit to further "clean up" AM signals as well as improving the
sound quality). For shortwave reception outdoors, the Sangean ANT-60
works just fine with it as well. Here are a couple of links:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...ON+ICFSW7600GR
and

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATAL...able/0360.html .
Here are reviews: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1534 . This
particular radio is one of the best radios which can double for use
within the home and for use when traveling as well. I always take one
with me when I go on a trip and I also take along a Sony AN-LP1
antenna as well as a Sangean ANT-60 antenna. That's all I ever truly
need!

Best,

Joe

http://search.stores.ebay.com/buyfro...ciZQ2d1QQfclZ3...

Antenna http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-an...rrite-am-anten...

RHF April 29th 08 08:15 PM

Need indoor am antenna...

http://www.discounts4uonline.com/~thebobe/index.php?main_page=product..... There are many others, often available locally. You need not spend

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/314639-REG/Terk_Technologies_AD..... For all intents and purposes, these two antennas will work the

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-ANT-60-Short-Wave-Antenna/dp/B000023VW2. It's certainly not a "great" antenna (but, then again, the Gruding

works just fine with it as well. Here are a couple of links: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=1627439&JRSource= g... and

http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/portable/0360.html.

wrote:
I live in a high rise apartment complex and cannot get am in very
good. I cannot put anything out the window. With that in mind, is
there an antenna that will help with am reception?

thanx.

Wally- Hide quoted text -

WL,

For On-the-Go : I would suggest the Select-A-Tenna
or the Terk AM Advantage AM/MW Antennas -over-
The C.Crane Twin-Coil Ferrite Rod Antenna :
WHY - No Batteries Required.

Plug the 1/8" Mono PLug from the Sangean ANT-60 Reel
{Roll-Up} Antenna into the Select-A-Tenna Model 541-M
and place the Select-A-Tenna next to the Radio to
Inductively 'Couple' the Select-A-Tenna to the Radio;
and use the Select-A-Tenna as a Tuner / Pre-Selector
for the AM/MW Radio Band.

hope this helps ~ RHF