Old April 27th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Need indoor am antenna...

I live in a high rise apartment complex and cannot get am in very
good. I cannot put anything out the window. With that in mind, is
there an antenna that will help with am reception?

thanx.

Wally

Old April 28th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bart Bailey wrote:
In

posted on Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:36:29 GMT, D Peter Maus wrote: Begin

Bart Bailey wrote:
In posted on
Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:04:30 -0400, Waldo Lydecker wrote: Begin

I live in a high rise apartment complex and cannot get am in very
good. I cannot put anything out the window. With that in mind, is
there an antenna that will help with am reception?

thanx.

Wally
Anything inside will only pick up the ambient noise already there,
better to put whatever you get as close to,
if not actually protruding out of, any window you have.
Reason is that any most AMBCB signals indoors consist of stronger QRN
than any desired stations, which can't compete.

Actually, a shielded loop, like a DA-5 is surprisingly resistant to
locally generated noise.

I've used a DA-5 for years. Not until IBOC did I start having
interference problems.

Is that performance perhaps due to being able to null the directional
source of local noise?

Yes. That and that it's a shielded loop.

In the 70's, I had it sitting in a room surrounded by tube-type color
TV sets and could separate 710 KEEL from 720 WGN sitting in St Louis.

It's amazingly resistant to man-made local noise.

Old April 28th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bart Bailey wrote:
[...]

A shielded loop design is the best antenna type to reduce local noise
source pickup.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 28th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message

A shielded loop design is the best antenna type to reduce local noise
source pickup.

Where could I find a DA-5 and how much would it cost? I get sticker shock
when I look at Wellbrook loops..

Old April 28th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
A shielded loop design is the best antenna type to reduce local noise
source pickup.

Where could I find a DA-5 and how much would it cost? I get sticker shock
when I look at Wellbrook loops..

At best, you'll have to look at eBay. They've been out of print for a
while. They're out there. Thousands of them. You just have to find them.

Old April 28th 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message

A shielded loop design is the best antenna type to reduce local noise
source pickup.

Where could I find a DA-5 and how much would it cost? I get sticker shock
when I look at Wellbrook loops..

I don't know where to get one of these. I don't think they are being
made anymore. The amplified small shielded loop design is comparatively
expensive to make.

This is another expensive one.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/wideant/0380.html

The next best and not as expensive is an external ferrite loop. This
design is not shielded but compact enough that local E field noise
sources effects are reduced. I don't know if anyone has tried one of
these yet.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/4835.html

This has been around for years and cost a little more.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/0445.html

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 28th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
D Peter Maus wrote:

Brenda Ann wrote:
"Telamon" wrote in message
..
.
A shielded loop design is the best antenna type to reduce local noise
source pickup.

Where could I find a DA-5 and how much would it cost? I get sticker shock
when I look at Wellbrook loops..

At best, you'll have to look at eBay. They've been out of print for a
while. They're out there. Thousands of them. You just have to find them.

What did you pay for your unit? Did you buy it new?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old April 28th 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Would this be any good?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3872.html

Wally
Old April 28th 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Waldo Lydecker" wrote in message
Would this be any good?

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/3872.html

Wally

Would do zero for noise abatement.

SW Indoor antenna mcan Shortwave 5 October 27th 12 12:34 AM
Indoor Antenna Terry M. Shortwave 9 November 10th 07 09:07 AM
Indoor antenna for 220 MHz? Richard Lane Antenna 1 May 19th 05 09:01 AM
What indoor antenna do you use? [email protected] Shortwave 16 January 31st 05 02:26 PM
Indoor antenna BruceB1836 CB 7 September 2nd 03 09:39 PM