Old May 2nd 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default I think I have found the one I like!

Dear "Haci,"

Well, it looks as though this thread has gotten wildly off course -
unfortunately this is something which too often seems to happen here.

No one can comment on this particular radio as it has not yet been
released. In fact, its introduction has been delayed at least twice.

Frankly, this does not augur well.

With Eton's last two sophisticated receivers, the same delaying
situation occurred and both have ultimately exhibited construction/
parts quality which is something less than desired.

Frankly, I would be somewhat leery of buying an expensive new Eton-
marketed receiver until it has positively demonstrated that it is well-
designed and well-made. It's bad enough when your $100.00 radio breaks
down after only a couple of years; it is intolerable when this happens
to your $300.00+ receiver.

Please also note that, as someone else wrote, Eton does not make
available service manuals. This means that you are locked into their
repair station. Probably for any necessary repairs, both in and out of
warranty, you may have to mail the radio to that station. Without a
service manual, local technicians may have their hands tied.

Now please note that I am NOT saying that this same unfortunate
construction/design (and repair) situation will occur with the Grundig
Satellit 750; I certainly hope that this radio will be built/designed
with integrity. What I AM saying is that, so far, no one knows.

And, while "past performance does not guarantee future results," Eton
is in a position where they now have to "show us." Talk is cheap;
results are all that count.

If you are a "collector" and have lots of money, then by all means buy
one of the first ones offered. The radio's quality will not matter to
you.

If, however, you, like most people, have to spend your $300.00 wisely,
and you want a radio that is reliable for use on a daily basis, it may
behoove you to wait a year or two to see reviews of this Satellit 750
in the SW press (especially PASSPORT TO WORLD BAND RADIO) as well as
users' reports, which are at least as important.

Remember the old saying: "caveat emptor."

Best,

Joe

On Apr 27, 8:08 pm, Hacienda de Ville ferrante276-
wrote:
I think I have found a radio I could love. Apparently, it is not going
to be released until June of this year. It costs $300 and my IRA
Stimulus check will pay for it. Please check out the information
provided and let me know what you think. Also, check out the
dimensions as it appears to really be portable. Here are a number of
links to it and I look forward to your input:

http://www.etoncorp.com/upload/conte...tellite750.pdf

http://www.etoncorp.com/pressrelease/?p_NewsId=381436

http://www.amazon.com/Grundig-Satell...ortwave/dp/B00...

http://gizmodo.com/341112/grundig-et...rtwave-radio-y...

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7256

The size is slightly bigger than I thought. Do you still think this
will be easy enough to take to parks or where ever and listen to or is
it more of a tabletop?

Thank you,
Haci

I think I have found the one I like! dBc Shortwave 18 May 17th 08 06:35 AM
I think I have found the one I like! RHF Shortwave 0 April 28th 08 04:02 AM
Found Steveo CB 1 January 22nd 04 01:07 AM
Found it :) Warpcore Shortwave 5 September 26th 03 06:23 AM