Old May 15th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Dual Location Connection to Same Antenna Wire - Use Both Ends of theWire

On May 14, 6:24*pm, m II wrote:
I have a 30 meter wire antenna, running North and South. The North end
of the wire connects to the coax which goes into the house. The coax is
grounded at the house end.

I'd like to set up a listening station in the work shop, which happens
to be under the South end of the wire.

There would be a coax feeding into the small shop 'office' area.

The idea, so far, consists of putting a dual bladed knife switch on both
*ends of the antenna coax cables. When I go into the shop, I'd open the
dual bladed knife switch before leaving the house.

That disconnects the house radio AND the ground, leaving an open ended
coax without a load on it.

In the shop, the knife switch gets closed, connecting the coax and a
ground to the other receiver.

I can't see any difficulties with this, but more heads are better than
one. It helps to get a different perspective and everyone sees things a
bit differently.

Insights?

mike

Mike,

Dual Location Connection to Same Antenna Wire :
Use Both Ends of the Wire

An 'alternative' would be to Replace the Single Wire
with 300 Ohm TV Twin Lead.

Use one Parallel Wire with the House Radio.

Use the 'other' Parallel Wire with the Work Shop Radio.

Use a separate Matching Transformer and Coax Cable
at each end.

Use a separate Ground Rod for the House and the
Work Shop.

NO Switches and Switching Required. ~ RHF

-ps- it's a bi-polar antenna that likes to go both ways ;-}
Old May 15th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:

An 'alternative' would be to Replace the Single Wire
with 300 Ohm TV Twin Lead.

Use one Parallel Wire with the House Radio.

Use the 'other' Parallel Wire with the Work Shop Radio.

Use a separate Matching Transformer and Coax Cable
at each end.

Use a separate Ground Rod for the House and the
Work Shop.

NO Switches and Switching Required. ~ RHF

I wonder if the weight of the 100 foot length would be a problem. What
about wind loading? Canadian winters forming ice on the flat surfaces?

There are a lot of variables there and only actually installing it would
tell me anything.

-ps- it's a bi-polar antenna that likes to go both ways ;-}

That's just disgusting. I've heard of Baluns and UnUns but I'll be
damned if I connect a BalBal. That's what bipolar antennas use but only
half the time.

mike

Old May 15th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On May 14, 8:07*pm, m II wrote:
RHF wrote:
[...]

Mike - Weather is a Hillary !

Run Two 'parallel' Strong Antenna Wires about a
One to Two Feet apart; with one under the other.

Terminate each of the Wires with a Nylon/Poly Rope
about 10~15 Feet from it's Far-End.

Top Fed at one End -and- Bottom Fed at the other End.

No Switches ~ RHF