Old May 24th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default A Real AM&FM Radio -versus- a portable 'mobile network' device : They Ain't the Same

On Fri, 23 May 2008 17:29:14 -0700 (PDT), RHF
wrote:

A Real AM&FM Radio -versus-
a portable 'mobile network' device : They Ain't the Same.

The characteristics that made products like the
GE Superadio a Super Radio were :

1 - Free Over-the-Air AM&FM Radio
-versus- Paid Celphone Minutes / Monthly Fee
and Paid Mobile-Media/Internet MB$ Monthly Fee
-ps- cheap enough still means you are paying
out money for your 'mobile' service and minutes.

Still true today.

2 - Quality of Audio Reception Anywhere & All the Time
-versus- Drop-Outs and No Bars/Service

Still true today, for the most part...QRM due to transmissions of HD,
DRM, etc. notwithstanding.

3 - Very Long Battery Life and Endless Hours of Radio
Listening Enjoyment {For Free}
-versus- Once or Twice a Day Battery Recharge Time.

Still true today.

Plus - It was a Real Radio and Sounded like a Radio
Turn it On and Fill the Room with Sound
-versus- small tinny sounding ear-buds/headphones

Still true today, and a major consideration for people such as myself
who routinely monitor multiple radios simultaneously (currently
running in my shack as I type this: my TS-450, three scanners, and my
2m ham transceiver). Possible, but a major PITA, to do that using
headphones/earbuds/whatever.

73 DE John, KC2HMZ, Tonawanda, NY
TS-50/TS-450/DX-394/DX-300/Wires

Old May 24th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default More Internet Radio coming to a portable device near you

Telamon wrote:

The car battery goes in a little red wagon you pull along so I hope you
still have it otherwise no portable HD radio for you.

I love it...an inadvertent on topic posting...

http://www.artcarfest.com/images/veh...adio.flyer.jpg

mike
Old May 24th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article 9E%Zj.4750$KB3.2901@edtnps91, m II wrote:

Telamon wrote:

The car battery goes in a little red wagon you pull along so I hope you
still have it otherwise no portable HD radio for you.

I love it...an inadvertent on topic posting...

http://www.artcarfest.com/images/veh...adio.flyer.jpg

You were very close but this is what I had in mind.

http://www.radioflyer.com/steelandwood/sw_18.html

--
Telamon
Ventura, California