Old May 25th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default You betcha: Len make bad infer then Len make bad imply

Loved you in Plan Nine From Outer Space

"Tor Johnson" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 24 May 2008 15:16:17 -0700 (PDT), AF6AY
wrote:

That INFERRENCE is the same technique used by
the infamous "Major Dud" (aka K4YZ) in here.
Just as Major Dud's saying he was in "seven
hostile actions" but never being able to say
where or when those "hostile actions" were.

"USAGE NOTE: Infer is sometimes confused with imply, but the distinction
is a useful one. When we say that a speaker or sentence implies
something, we mean that it is conveyed or suggested without being stated
outright: When the mayor said that she would not rule out a business tax
increase, she implied (not inferred) that some taxes might be raised.
Inference, on the other hand, is the activity performed by a reader or
interpreter in drawing conclusions that are not explicit in what is
said: When the mayor said that she would not rule out a tax increase, we
inferred that she had been consulting with some new financial advisers,
since her old advisers were in favor of tax reductions."
-- http://www.answers.com/topic/infer

You may now continue ...

make some $ jvbe Shortwave 0 March 20th 08 05:59 PM
What do we make of this? Phil Witt Boatanchors 6 October 29th 03 04:22 AM
What do we make of this? Phil Witt Boatanchors 0 October 28th 03 06:25 PM