Old June 4th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Air travel with radios...

Heading to Hawaii this Christmas and thinking
of taking a Sony 2010 --
Any hassles or obvious tips I could use?

Thanks!

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
www.coffeecrew.com Canada's first all-coffee website
coffee.bc.ca - The Blog - rnewell AT vcn DOT bc DOT ca
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Old June 5th 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In message , Brenda Ann
writes

wrote in message ...
Heading to Hawaii this Christmas and thinking
of taking a Sony 2010 --
Any hassles or obvious tips I could use?

Thanks!

Other than don't turn it on during the flight.. should be no problems. Best
to pack it in your checked luggage.

Some airlines DO (or, at least, did) allow the use of radio receivers
during flight. Virgin is one of them. It may be worth asking. It's
interesting to note that, when you travel from the UK to Florida, the
first language you are likely to hear on the FM B/C, when nearing the
USA, is French.
--
Ian
Old June 5th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Traveling from UK to Florida, the first language likely to hear on FM
B/C when nearing U.S.A.is French? I know a married Irish woman who lives
in Bognor Regis,England.She and her hubby have traveled by Airplane
twice before from England to Orlando,Florida.I will ask her about that.
cuhulin

Old June 5th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Take a cheap radio with you.A lot of thingys get stolen every day and
night at U.S.Airports.Leave your expensive jewelry (including
wris****ches) at home.Those luggage handlers at U.S.Airports are
Thieves!
cuhulin

Old June 5th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Brenda Ann
writes

wrote in message ...
Heading to Hawaii this Christmas and thinking
of taking a Sony 2010 --
Any hassles or obvious tips I could use?

Thanks!

Other than don't turn it on during the flight.. should be no problems.
Best
to pack it in your checked luggage.

Some airlines DO (or, at least, did) allow the use of radio receivers
during flight. Virgin is one of them. It may be worth asking. It's
interesting to note that, when you travel from the UK to Florida, the
first language you are likely to hear on the FM B/C, when nearing the
USA, is French.

I don't know any airline that allows AM/FM radio use at any time. The
LO on many FM radios causes radiation in the Navigation band.

Old June 5th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dave" wrote in message
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Brenda Ann
writes

wrote in message ...
Heading to Hawaii this Christmas and thinking
of taking a Sony 2010 --
Any hassles or obvious tips I could use?

Thanks!

Other than don't turn it on during the flight.. should be no problems.
Best
to pack it in your checked luggage.

Some airlines DO (or, at least, did) allow the use of radio receivers
during flight. Virgin is one of them. It may be worth asking. It's
interesting to note that, when you travel from the UK to Florida, the
first language you are likely to hear on the FM B/C, when nearing the
USA, is French.

I don't know any airline that allows AM/FM radio use at any time. The LO
on many FM radios causes radiation in the Navigation band.

Use of radios and televisions in any band is illegal according to US law.
Can't speak for any other country. At this time, this includes ANY radio
device, including GPS, WiFi (they're looking into wireless service onboard,
but the pilots are bucking it), and even some video games and DVD players
during takeoff and landing.

Old June 5th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In message , dave
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Brenda
Ann writes

wrote in message ...
Heading to Hawaii this Christmas and thinking
of taking a Sony 2010 --
Any hassles or obvious tips I could use?

Thanks!

Other than don't turn it on during the flight.. should be no
problems. Best
to pack it in your checked luggage.

Some airlines DO (or, at least, did) allow the use of radio receivers
during flight. Virgin is one of them. It may be worth asking. It's
interesting to note that, when you travel from the UK to Florida, the
first language you are likely to hear on the FM B/C, when nearing the
USA, is French.

I don't know any airline that allows AM/FM radio use at any time. The
LO on many FM radios causes radiation in the Navigation band.

Trust me, a few years ago, Virgin definitely did allow the use of radio
receivers. It was on the list, along with PCs, calculators, electronic
games etc. Without a doubt, the top end of the FM B/C band + 10.7MHz
does put the LO in the air traffic control band. However, in practice,
it's difficult enough to get even FM signals inside the aircraft (you
have to have a window seat). Even at ~100MHz, the windows are still a
bit on the small size. So, I doubt if a relatively weak LO at 120MHz is
unlikely to have much impact on the ATC communications. Those guys don't
really go in for weak-signal communications.
--
Ian
Old June 5th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , dave
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Brenda
Ann writes

wrote in message
[...]

It's not likely to prevent comms, but it can put a heterodyne on top
of comms. Which, in a cockpit, on approach in high traffic areas, can be
a major distraction.

Old June 5th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In message , D
Peter Maus writes
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , dave
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Brenda
Ann writes

wrote in message
Heading to Hawaii this Christmas and thinking
of taking a Sony 2010 --
Any hassles or obvious tips I could use?

Thanks!

Other than don't turn it on during the flight.. should be no
problems. Best
to pack it in your checked luggage.

Some airlines DO (or, at least, did) allow the use of radio
receivers during flight. Virgin is one of them. It may be worth
asking. It's interesting to note that, when you travel from the UK
to Florida, the first language you are likely to hear on the FM B/C,
the USA, is French.
[...]

Oh, I agree, it could put a heterodyne on top of comms (especially as
they are AM) - and possibly a very unstable one at that. But, as I said,
those guys don't really go in for weak-signal communications. Presumably
Virgin did an assessment of the risk, and decided it was negligible.
--
Ian

Travel aid [email protected] Antenna 0 February 7th 06 12:26 PM
Travel aid [email protected] Boatanchors 0 February 7th 06 12:26 PM
Travel aid [email protected] Homebrew 0 February 7th 06 12:26 PM
Have 2X4 - Will Travel zerg90 Scanner 0 January 14th 06 01:05 PM
Travel AM/FM/SW? F1 Shortwave 3 November 7th 04 02:16 AM