Old June 17th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Remember When - You Used To Hear People Start a Conversation with. . .

On Jun 17, 8:14*pm, RHF wrote:
Remember When - You Used To Hear People Start a Conversation
with . . .

At Breadfast / At Work - You Know What I Heard On-the-Radio This
Morning !

At Dinner / At Home -You Know What I Heard On-the-Radio Today !

DXers to anyone who would Listen - You Know What I Heard
On-the-Radio Late Last Night !

yes - i heard it on the radio ~ RHF
*.

Ya, those were the days RHF! Our best and most popular radio station
was the famous SPRINGBOK RADIO which sadly went defunct after TV was
introduced in South Africa. Everyone used to jaw jaw the next day over
the wonderful programmes they heard the night before.

We used to go out and eat at the steak house early on a Friday night
after work so that we could rush home afterwards and listen to "Squad
Cars".

I used to listen to them when I was an expatriate pick and shovel
miner up in Northern Rhodesia in the sixties. I wonder if dxAce ever
got a QSL from them?

A preservation crowd has just opened a website
http://www.springbokradio.com/
with a lot of material that brought tears of nostalgia to my eyes
hearing the lovely old programs and super commercial ads they had in
the old days.

Do you guys have any sites commerorating the old U.S. radio station
classics of yesteryear?

However, all is not lost because the BBC WS programs some very
interesting material beamed to South Africa that frequently flights
matters of interest that are not covered locally, so I tell friends
about these stories the next day.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx
Old June 17th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message

Do you guys have any sites commerorating the old U.S. radio station
classics of yesteryear?

You might check the 1928 to 1942 Radex Magazines at
www.americanradiohistory.com. There are about 30 of them so far, and the
magazines talk about North American radio programs, network schedules, DX
activities and, of course, a logbook by call, city and by frequency. They
make fascinating reads. The PDFs are savable to your hard drive, if you want
to read offline.

Old June 17th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

.

Ya, those were the days RHF! Our best and most popular radio station
was the famous SPRINGBOK RADIO which sadly went defunct after TV was
introduced in South Africa. Everyone used to jaw jaw the next day over
the wonderful programmes they heard the night before.

We used to go out and eat at the steak house early on a Friday night
after work so that we could rush home afterwards and listen to "Squad
Cars".

I used to listen to them when I was an expatriate pick and shovel
miner up in Northern Rhodesia in the sixties. I wonder if dxAce ever
got a QSL from them?

I'd have to go looking to find out. I do know that I have a QSL from Radio 5.
Off the top of my head I can remember what I think their slogan was, though I'll
certainly mis-spell it with out looking that up as well, but something like
'Lekker loslyf landswyd'. Anyway, I recall a bumper sticker they had sent that
had that on it.

Old June 20th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jun 20, 2:44*am, "Brian Oakley" wrote:
I remember receiving them on SW back in the 70s. *Was neat for a teen to
hear using only a Realistic Star Roamer and a longwire.

That was a very good catch in those days Brian, as if I remember
rightly Springbok R. was only broadcast on some low powered
transmitters, making them difficult to receive far away.

In later years the apartheid regime built the giant transmitters at
Meyerton (near Johannesburg) to send out their propaganda on Channel
Africa.

JP