Old June 27th 08, 12:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Drake R8 POP..On turn on

I just had my R8 in for a checkup(I bought it used recently) and the
receiver
has a pop in the speaker when turning it on.
The tecky says this is normal with all R8's. Is this true? I think not.
He also said the alignment is A1...can I believe him now? !@#$%
Sometime it even emits a short duration and diminishing in volume, bronx
cheer when turned on.
Anyone experienced this with their set?

Old June 27th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Justis wrote:

I just had my R8 in for a checkup(I bought it used recently) and the
receiver
has a pop in the speaker when turning it on.
The tecky says this is normal with all R8's. Is this true? I think not.
He also said the alignment is A1...can I believe him now? !@#$%
Sometime it even emits a short duration and diminishing in volume, bronx
cheer when turned on.
Anyone experienced this with their set?

Saw your post earlier today on the Yahoo group and I tried mine out and no pop
here, nor bronx cheer.

Where did you have yours serviced?

Old June 27th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

Justis wrote:

I just had my R8 in for a checkup(I bought it used recently) and the
receiver
has a pop in the speaker when turning it on.
The tecky says this is normal with all R8's. Is this true? I think not.
He also said the alignment is A1...can I believe him now? !@#$%
Sometime it even emits a short duration and diminishing in volume, bronx
cheer when turned on.
Anyone experienced this with their set?

Saw your post earlier today on the Yahoo group and I tried mine out and no pop
here, nor bronx cheer.

Where did you have yours serviced?

No pop with my R8A, either. Only the clean click of a relay, and then
audio.

As for alignment, a quick, although not definitive test, is to tune
in a station of known frequency and stability. WWV is fine for this.

Tune to the center of the channel--make sure the Passband Offset is
centered, too--with each of the filters in place, and check for
frequency readout. If you're on frequency, with equal skirts on each
side, alignment is pretty close. Do this on each WWV frequency. If
results are fairly consistent at each dial position, your alignment is
likely pretty good.

Old June 27th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

D Peter Maus wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Justis wrote:

I just had my R8 in for a checkup(I bought it used recently) and the
receiver
has a pop in the speaker when turning it on.
The tecky says this is normal with all R8's. Is this true? I think not.
He also said the alignment is A1...can I believe him now? !@#$%
Sometime it even emits a short duration and diminishing in volume, bronx
cheer when turned on.
Anyone experienced this with their set?

Saw your post earlier today on the Yahoo group and I tried mine out and no pop
here, nor bronx cheer.

Where did you have yours serviced?

No pop with my R8A, either. Only the clean click of a relay, and then
audio.

Checked my R8A (listening to the guys on 3850 with it now) and no problem with it or
the R8B which was checked earlier.

Old June 27th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:

D Peter Maus wrote:

dxAce wrote:
Justis wrote:

[...]

Does Homey hear the relay? There may be some kind of mute function that
silences the turn-on transient that is malfunctioning. The fart noise
is a stumper.

Old June 27th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Dave wrote:

dxAce wrote:

D Peter Maus wrote:

dxAce wrote:

[...]