Old July 7th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Love affair with AOR 7030

New revue posted at eHam
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/475

This fella really loves his 7030
Best thing since the Model T..!!!

Joe A will love this revue, but personally I don't like the radio.
I like lots of knobs and buttons...........

Enjoy your radio's and good DX.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx
Old July 7th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
New revue posted at eHam
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/475

This fella really loves his 7030
Best thing since the Model T..!!!

Joe A will love this revue, but personally I don't like the radio.
I like lots of knobs and buttons...........

Enjoy your radio's and good DX.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

Hi John. thanks for a radio related post. really getting bad on
this list. i hadn't read this before. just a new write-up. the man
really love's the 7030. I've the 7030+ with the extras here for
maybe 3 years now. it is a great radio. i have to say one of the
best ever made. it had it's trouble at the start, but all was worked
out over a short span of time. like you, some people like a bunch
of knobs. and some don't like the menu tree. once i got use to the
menus, it's a joy to operate. so, i'm with Joe on this. i can't
say much about AOR-USA, or AOR-Japan. but, AOR-UK is the best. real
old fashion service. these guys are a class operation. they even
show up on the google groups to answer questions. i'm sold on the
AOR line. got the 7030+, AR3030, AR5000+3, and the 8600MK2. all
vary good receivers. and, i'm looking forward to the replacement
for the 7030. try one, you might get hooked.

Drifter...

--
"Regulatory capitalism is when companies invest in lawyers, lobbyists,
and politicians, instead of plant, people, and customer service."
Old September 12th 08, 02:37 AM
Senior Member

Hello John,

Yes, I'm very late in the game to jump on the '7030 bandwagon; but I did recently purchase an AOR AR-7030Plus receiver. The fact that the radio is soon to be discontinued was something of a motivating factor. I’ve considered and rejected the ‘7030 off and on since it was first introduced in the mid-90’s. Having fitted the radio out with 3 crystal filters and the notch/noise blanker, I find the ‘7030Plus to be quite a nice performer, indeed.

From my early experience with the radio, I’d say the ‘7030 certainly gives performance in the same league as the Drake R8B. I’ve generally tended to prefer the many knobs and buttons, but I find the ergonomics of the ‘7030 to be quite navigable. The remote does facilitate things quite a bit, and I’ve found that with my sample, the remote really doesn’t require precise aiming.

The only thing I find lacking on the ‘7030Plus is the absence of a sideband-selectable synchronous detector (e.g. as in the R8B, SW8(A), Sat800 or Eton E1/XM). The synchronous detector gives a nice lock, to be sure; but the R8B and Eton E1’s combination of synchronous selectable sideband with PBT offers a nice flexibility in the AM mode.

That said, the ‘7030 is very well suited for ECSS reception. And, as Joe has mentioned several times in this forum, the AOR 2.4 crystal filter provides very nice audio indeed for ECSS reception of SW broadcast signals.

The low current draw of the ‘7030/Plus is another nice point: at a 0.5 amp draw on 12 – 15VDC, the ‘7030/Plus will go a long way on a small battery, such as the 18Ah battery that I got for use with the radio. This, coupled with the relatively small dimensions of the radio, makes the ‘7030 pretty well suited for outings.

It seems, John, that your comparative review of the AR-7030Plus and the R8A puts these pretty much on the same par performance-wise. From my preliminary runs with the ‘7030Plus, I’d have to say that I’m much in agreement with you (I ran an R8A as my primary receiver for about 5 years). Do I ultimately prefer the ergonomics of the Drake R8A and R8B? Sure. But, then, it’s always great to have a new radio to play around with. And in truth, I don’t find the ergonomic arrangement of the ‘7030 to be quite as onerous as some have found. Admittedly, this is simply a matter of one’s personal tastes and preferences.

I’ll definitely keep my eye open for the release of AOR's AR-7070 next year. It will be interesting to see what AOR produces with this shift toward DSP. Indications suggest that the ergonomics might be a bit more to your tastes than the ‘7030 (well, the keypad is to be inboard, at any rate!). Not that you'll necessarily be in need of any new receiver...what, with your IC-7700, you're pretty much set!

Best of DX to you,

Junius

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
New revue posted at eHam
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/475

This fella really loves his 7030
Best thing since the Model T..!!!

Joe A will love this revue, but personally I don't like the radio.
I like lots of knobs and buttons...........

Enjoy your radio's and good DX.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
ERGO software
Drake SW8. Sangean 803A
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx
Into blinding darkness enter those who worship ignorance; and those who delight in knowledge enter into still greater darkness, as it were.
-- Isavasya Upanishad