Old September 3rd 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) Nikola Tesla.The Forgotten Wizard.

m II wrote:

I wonder how Tesla's work would have been different if his first great
rivalry had been with Marconi rather than Edison.

It was. There were really bad irregularities at the patent office.
Marconi had connections. Roughly forty years alter, thing were turned
around.

The patent process was and still is rife with loopholes that
almost encourage abuse.

A.G. Bell beat Elisha Gray (who ironically founded Western
Electric and ran it during the rise of AT&T) to the patent on the
telephone through a technicality.

Gray actually had a working model first. And had the first filing.

Bell's project borrowed liberally from Gray.

(When I worked at AT&T, it was a cardinal sin to mention Gray's
name. We were all shown "The Alexander Graham Bell Story." A film
with huge historical inaccuracies regarding the invention of the
telephone. A film for which Alexander Graham Bell's daughter, Mrs.
Gilbert Grosvenor, had official script approval. The film was also
funded with huge help from AT&T.)

Vladimir Zworykin had actually visited Philo Farnsworth' lab and
translated whole technologies to his own Sarnoff funded project for
the development of Television. And with the aid of Sarnoff's
lawyers, landed the patent.

As with Tesla, Farnsworth's estate was eventually vindicated by
the courts, and Farnsworth was posthumously named the inventor of
Television.

Old September 3rd 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Don't forget Nathan Stubblefield, and his wireless telephone.
www.nathanstubblefield.com/contents.html
cuhulin

Old September 3rd 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Billy Burpelson" wrote in message

Frank Dresser wrote:

Did Tesla have any particular interest in radio?

Nah...he was just the inventor of radio, that's all. See below.

This Supreme Court ruling came out shortly after Tesla's death. The case
was Tesla vs Marconi (and thus m II's reference above to Marconi)...

From Wikipedia:

In 1943, the Supreme Court of the United States credited him [Tesla] as

being the inventor of the radio.

The Supreme Court can get it wrong. They also asserted that Lee de Forest
invented the regenerative detector.

But what is radio? Is it just tuned circuits or is it the transmission of
intelligence using radio waves? As far as I know, Nikola Tesla didn't have
much more interest in the communication potential for radio than Tom Edison
had in the "Edison Effect".

And, lets not forget that Heinrich Hertz's experimental apparatus could have
also been used to transmit information with radio waves.

But, I'm sure we can all agree it was a good thing for radio that the
broadcast power scheme failed.

Frank Dresser

Old September 3rd 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Frank Dresser wrote:

Did Tesla have any particular interest in radio?

Nah...he was just the inventor of radio, that's all. See below.

This Supreme Court ruling came out shortly after Tesla's death. The case
was Tesla vs Marconi (and thus m II's reference above to Marconi)...

From Wikipedia:

In 1943, the Supreme Court of the United States credited him [Tesla] as

being the inventor of the radio.

The Supreme Court can get it wrong. They also asserted that Lee de Forest
invented the regenerative detector.

But what is radio? Is it just tuned circuits or is it the transmission of
intelligence using radio waves? As far as I know, Nikola Tesla didn't have
much more interest in the communication potential for radio than Tom Edison
had in the "Edison Effect".

And, lets not forget that Heinrich Hertz's experimental apparatus could have
also been used to transmit information with radio waves.

But, I'm sure we can all agree it was a good thing for radio that the
broadcast power scheme failed.

Frank Dresser

I don't know, Frank...it may have rid us of a number of those
wearing tinfoil hats.

Old September 4th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Frank Dresser wrote:

Did Tesla have any particular interest in radio?

Nah...he was just the inventor of radio, that's all. See below.

This Supreme Court ruling came out shortly after Tesla's death. The case
was Tesla vs Marconi (and thus m II's reference above to Marconi)...

From Wikipedia:

In 1943, the Supreme Court of the United States credited him [Tesla] as

being the inventor of the radio.

The Supreme Court can get it wrong. They also asserted that Lee de Forest
invented the regenerative detector.

But what is radio? Is it just tuned circuits or is it the transmission of
intelligence using radio waves? As far as I know, Nikola Tesla didn't have
much more interest in the communication potential for radio than Tom Edison
had in the "Edison Effect".

And, lets not forget that Heinrich Hertz's experimental apparatus could have
also been used to transmit information with radio waves.

But, I'm sure we can all agree it was a good thing for radio that the
broadcast power scheme failed.

Tesla actually the first RC boat and demonstrated it before an audience.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 4th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Frank Dresser wrote:

Did Tesla have any particular interest in radio?

Nah...he was just the inventor of radio, that's all. See below.

This Supreme Court ruling came out shortly after Tesla's death. The case
was Tesla vs Marconi (and thus m II's reference above to Marconi)...

From Wikipedia:

In 1943, the Supreme Court of the United States credited him [Tesla] as

being the inventor of the radio.

The Supreme Court can get it wrong. They also asserted that Lee de Forest
invented the regenerative detector.

But what is radio? Is it just tuned circuits or is it the transmission of
intelligence using radio waves? As far as I know, Nikola Tesla didn't have
much more interest in the communication potential for radio than Tom Edison
had in the "Edison Effect".

He did have an interest in communications but was more interested in
power transmission.

And, lets not forget that Heinrich Hertz's experimental apparatus could have
also been used to transmit information with radio waves.

Well, Tesla actually transmitted control signals to a boat. The first
remote controlled boat.

But, I'm sure we can all agree it was a good thing for radio that the
broadcast power scheme failed.

No I don't agree.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 4th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Telamon" wrote in message

Frank Dresser wrote:

Did Tesla have any particular interest in radio?

Nah...he was just the inventor of radio, that's all. See below.

This Supreme Court ruling came out shortly after Tesla's death. The

case
was Tesla vs Marconi (and thus m II's reference above to Marconi)...

From Wikipedia:

In 1943, the Supreme Court of the United States credited him [Tesla]

as
being the inventor of the radio.

The Supreme Court can get it wrong. They also asserted that Lee de

Forest
invented the regenerative detector.

But what is radio? Is it just tuned circuits or is it the transmission

of
intelligence using radio waves? As far as I know, Nikola Tesla didn't

have
much more interest in the communication potential for radio than Tom

Edison
had in the "Edison Effect".

He did have an interest in communications but was more interested in
power transmission.

And that's the question. How much interest did Tesla have in radio
communication? I'm no Tesla expert, but as far as I can tell, the answer is
"not much". At least not much interest when compared to other radio
pioneers who were not only thinking up (or 'borrowing") interesting
technology but also thinking up useful applications for that interesting
technology. .

And, lets not forget that Heinrich Hertz's experimental apparatus could

have
also been used to transmit information with radio waves.

Well, Tesla actually transmitted control signals to a boat. The first
remote controlled boat.

Sure, and if Tesla had devised a system to telegraph messages between boats
and ships and shore stations then we never would have heard of Marconi. Had
Tesla taken an interest, he might have invented that early 1900s chain of
stations to track severe weather. As it was, Tesla's boat fixed a problem
nobody had.

But, I'm sure we can all agree it was a good thing for radio that the
broadcast power scheme failed.

No I don't agree.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Broadcast power would have been RFI hell.

Frank Dresser

Old September 4th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Nikola Tesla rigged up a car, (Pierce Arrow car, whatever it was?) and
he ran that car for at least a minute or two on ''free power'' I think
that car was getting power from that tower in Long Island, somewhere
around there.It wasen't real free power.
cuhulin

(OT) Tesla [email protected] Shortwave 0 October 26th 05 07:31 PM
I seem to have forgotten the weekly FAQ, don't panic, here it is! Polymath Homebrew 3 October 16th 05 08:06 PM
I seem to have forgotten the weekly FAQ, don't panic, here it is! Polymath Policy 3 October 16th 05 08:06 PM
Tesla Coils Paul Burridge Homebrew 16 December 10th 04 01:41 AM