Old September 4th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default How Ibiquity ripped me off

First and foremost, let me say that I tried - I *really* tried - to
have an open mind on this whole "HD" radio fiasco; but, after spending
too much time looking for the one I wanted, locally stocked, and the
subsequent run-around I received afterward, I've just about had it.
It's a pity, too, since the one I bought - a Sony XDR-S3HD - is
actually a very nice piece of equipment, *provided* you use it with an
antenna that will give you enough signal to eliminate drop-outs.

Here's what happened; I finally tried visiting stores, hoping that
their online inventories were wrong, and that some one would have it.
I found a couple at the Maplewood, MN Best Buy, but they were both
open box, one was a beat-to-hell demo, and neither one came with
anything other than the radio, and the attached power supply. They
also hadn't dropped their prices much, to reflect this poor state of
merchandise; the tag said $179.99!!!

I then tried the Circuit City, just down the road from Best Buy.
They only had their demo model, but it was in mint condition. It, too,
didn't have any accessories, or a manual, but at least the price was
better - $102.xx online. I asked what was the best he could do, since
it didn't have a remote (which Sony wants just over $47 to replace!) ,
and he dropped it down to $69.99. I bought it, thinking I could use
the $50 rebate from hdradio dot com, but I didn't realize until after
I brought the rig home, that you need to have a UPC code - the
original receipt isn't good enough, evidently.

On a whim, I sent the following message to the addresses attached
below...

TO:
,
,
,

date Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 4:47 PM
subject Important question about your HD Radio rebate offer
mailed-by gmail.com

hide details Aug 27 (7 days ago)

Hello, everyone, and thank you for taking the time to read this
message. As I type this to you, I am listening to a Sony XDR-S3HD
radio, which I just purchased today at the Maplewood, MN Circuit City
location. It was the display model, and it came with absolutely no
accessories - no remote, no antennas, and no manual. Even so, I felt
it might not be a bad deal, as I was informed that there was a $50
rebate, as seen here on your website;

http://www.hdradio.com/rebate/rebate.php

Unfortunately, I had no way of checking the form out while at the
store... since this is a display model, there wasn't even an original
box - I had to carry it home in a doubled plastic bag. This is a big
problem, since I now see that there is a UPC bar code that is required
to be sent in. I need to ask up front if this is absolutely necessary;
if it is, and there is no way to get the rebate for me, this radio
will have to go back to the store. (Not to mention the fact that I
just learned a replacement remote control, direct from Sony, would
cost almost $48 dollars!)

If there's anyway you could help me, I'd really appreciate it. Thank
you! -Robert S. / Maplewood, MN

Yeah, I guess I could have copied Mr. Struble on it, but I don't
think it would have helped.
As it is, I don't even know if the others I CC'd are even still there;
at any rate, it has been a week, and I have heard absolutely nothing.
Maybe they're all on vacation?

My last effort will be to contact the manager of the Circuit City
store, to see if they might be able to find the box, and the requisite
accessories, at the store. Otherwise, this nice radio is going back.

Is iBiquity broke? IBOCcrock Shortwave 0 March 11th 08 03:58 AM
Help: What Can Be Done When You Get Ripped Off?? DLD Laptop Swap 4 February 18th 08 10:32 PM
Wahhhhhhhhhhhh.... I got ripped off! dxAce Shortwave 12 June 4th 05 03:21 PM